U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 09:35 PM

26,302 posts, read 12,782,834 times

Advertisements

So this all sort of sucks. The gorilla being shot-I see nothing that would make me want to second guess the people on site. They knew the gorilla, and probably followed a procedure, and using their best judgement.

The kid-lucky to be alive, and...well he was a kid doing kid things.

The zoo-yeah you need to get a better enclosure. You're getting sued. Idiots.

The mother-yeah the cops are going to get into your life. If its a momentary lapse, hey that happens, but expect your life to be investigated.

The father-ouch. This guys going to get the bad side of this every which way. Not there, but one of the "blamed parents".

The gorilla. RIP guy. Don't know what you were thinking or doing, but it looks like you're just the innocent in the crossfire. Bad luck gorilla. I wonder if they will put up a plaque for you or something. LOL. Probably more then what will survive me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 09:56 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,959,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Oddly enough I had assumed the parents were white. Seriously if you manage to lose your kid into the gorilla exhibit resulting in the death of the gorilla, I kinda feel like it would be wise for the authorities to spend some time investigating things. Its not racism, its called thinking your parenting skills might have issues.
Agreed. I "thought" that kid was "white", too. Tho word is he's real light skinned which WOULD tag him as white in LatAm.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:09 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,829,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I do believe he was outted for being white. I could care less about what race the parents are. The fact is their child was able to get down into the exhibit. They obviously were not paying attention to their child. Welcome to America where everyone else is to blame except themselves. Its the zoos fault,,its the zookeepers fault,,,its the gorillas fault,,,but lets not blame the parents,,,I hope there is some kind of punishment for their lack of parenting that lead to the death of this animal.
How many children do you have? They may not have been paying attention but intelligent children can be very inventive in getting what they want. He wanted to go play with the animal. I remember going to the Knoxville Zoo and there was a sign on the bobcat's cage saying not to get too close. I cautioned my son about it. Turned around and he had a big cut on his finger because he did not listen. I took him to my doctor when we got home and he said it is too late to give a tetanus shot now. We had to sweat it out and luckily he was fine. But he is still a daredevil. He had decided to play with the bobcat with a twig. The bobcat reached outside the cage and clawed him. It only took a second.

I raised two very adventurous children and today I might be arrested. I could write a book! I have always compared it to the difference between raising a plow horse and a thoroughbred. You have to give a spirited child enough space to not kill the spirit but try to keep them alive at the same time. Sometimes you miss the mark but when the child gets grown, it is ready to run with the pack and make its mark on the world. Now my children are seeing how adventurous their children are. Pay back!

Last edited by NCN; 05-31-2016 at 10:22 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 10:39 PM

15,088 posts, read 17,513,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
According to New York Daily News' writer, Black Lives Matter activist, former DailyKos.com commentator and progressive commentator Shaun King, racism is behind the mistreatment of the parents of the little boy that fell in the gorilla habitat at the Cincinnati, Ohio zoo. What is your thoughts?
I didn't know the father had a criminal history nor that the kid was black until I read about it in the linked article. With that said...

[shrug]

Old 05-31-2016, 10:49 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,428,526 times
Default He's right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
According to New York Daily News' writer, Black Lives Matter activist, former DailyKos.com commentator and progressive commentator Shaun King, racism is behind the mistreatment of the parents of the little boy that fell in the gorilla habitat at the Cincinnati, Ohio zoo. What is your thoughts?

KING: Racism has found its way into the Cincinnati Zoo saga - NY Daily News
I agree even though I'm a nature lover and was sad to hear the gorilla was killed (before I knew all the details), I understood why they made their decision and stand in support of the zoo officials. When I read the comments, I knew what was up. Then, when I read the mention of the father's criminal history that sealed it for me. I thought, what does his criminal past have to do with the child falling into the gorilla's enclosure? What was even more strange was that not one article mentioned the father being at the zoo with the mom and children.

As an African-American, I'm not surprised at the outrage and anger towards this child's parents at all. There is a 250 year history of this mentality in our country towards certain people when they commit any offense, intentional or accidental. It is par the course as there is a sizable number of our Caucasian brothers and sisters who never fail to show their ugly side given the opportunity. Just goes to show people of all races are flawed regardless of culture, religion, socioeconomic status, or IQ.

The last time I saw them this upset regarding animals was with Michael Vick. What he did was extremely wrong and reprehensible, YES, but I saw more outrage and hatred for him (who hurt dogs) than for Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, school shooters, movie theatre shooters, and all the other WM serial killers (who murdered innocent people) put together. Actually as I remember, those murderers (of humans) where often compassionately labeled as mentally ill, loners, or victims of physical abuse by their "stepfathers, grandmother's cousin, mean substitute teacher" as if that justified the crimes they committed.

Had that child been a little blonde child, most likely the parents would have been supported, the zoo would have been accused of being negligent for not having a 25 ft sealed iron curtain between the gorillas and the public, the shooter would be named an American hero complete with a medal ceremony attended by Pres. Obama, a movie deal reiterating how noble the shooter is and scenes recounting how he married his childhood sweetheart, and Harambe the gorilla would have been called the N-word, thug, or attributed to being from Africa hence the reason for his violent tendencies and need to be shot.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:55 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,428,526 times
Default They put their foot in mouth!

I initial thought the child was White too when I heard the story but I still had compassion for the child. Those Black twits (pun intended) should feel very stupid now that they know it was a BLACK parent who was not watching their child every single second at the zoo instead of a White parent.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:58 PM

4,666 posts, read 2,618,308 times
The zoo had to make a quick decision and it was the right decision. Human lives are always more important then animal lives. Even if there was only a 1% chance the gorilla would have killed the child, it was the right decision. There are animal experts saying it both ways, the gorilla was protecting the child and was a danger to the child, sadly only the one opinion matters. The zoo and the employees made the right call for the time. Now for the future, let's build a better enclosure for the next gorilla. No one wants to see gorillas get killed.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:04 PM

4,179 posts, read 1,805,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
The zoo had to make a quick decision and it was the right decision. Human lives are always more important then animal lives. Even if there was only a 1% chance the gorilla would have killed the child, it was the right decision. There are animal experts saying it both ways, the gorilla was protecting the child and was a danger to the child, sadly only the one opinion matters. The zoo and the employees made the right call for the time. Now for the future, let's build a better enclosure for the next gorilla. No one wants to see gorillas get killed.
Can you explain why it is that human lives are "more important" than gorilla lives?

Old 06-01-2016, 02:01 AM

19,270 posts, read 17,409,912 times
An actor quipped that if you leave your kid in a hot car, you got to jail. You let them jump into a gorilla pen and you get off scott free. Maybe at least let the parent be sentenced to cleaning up monkey poop over the hot summer.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:02 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,231,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I do believe he was outted for being white. I could care less about what race the parents are. The fact is their child was able to get down into the exhibit. They obviously were not paying attention to their child. Welcome to America where everyone else is to blame except themselves. Its the zoos fault,,its the zookeepers fault,,,its the gorillas fault,,,but lets not blame the parents,,,I hope there is some kind of punishment for their lack of parenting that lead to the death of this animal.
The father was not present, so is it still his fault-because just maybe the father would have done something differently if he was there and heard his child say he wanted to go swimming with the Gorilla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or