U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 05:15 AM

37,088 posts, read 45,594,679 times

Advertisements

I smell a lawsuit by the parents. It should not have been so easy for the kid to get close to the gorilla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 05:21 AM

8,515 posts, read 2,456,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I agree even though I'm a nature lover and was sad to hear the gorilla was killed (before I knew all the details), I understood why they made their decision and stand in support of the zoo officials. When I read the comments, I knew what was up. Then, when I read the mention of the father's criminal history that sealed it for me. I thought, what does his criminal past have to do with the child falling into the gorilla's enclosure? What was even more strange was that not one article mentioned the father being at the zoo with the mom and children.

As an African-American, I'm not surprised at the outrage and anger towards this child's parents at all. There is a 250 year history of this mentality in our country towards certain people when they commit any offense, intentional or accidental. It is par the course as there is a sizable number of our Caucasian brothers and sisters who never fail to show their ugly side given the opportunity. Just goes to show people of all races are flawed regardless of culture, religion, socioeconomic status, or IQ.

The last time I saw them this upset regarding animals was with Michael Vick. What he did was extremely wrong and reprehensible, YES, but I saw more outrage and hatred for him (who hurt dogs) than for Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, school shooters, movie theatre shooters, and all the other WM serial killers (who murdered innocent people) put together. Actually as I remember, those murderers (of humans) where often compassionately labeled as mentally ill, loners, or victims of physical abuse by their "stepfathers, grandmother's cousin, mean substitute teacher" as if that justified the crimes they committed.

Had that child been a little blonde child, most likely the parents would have been supported, the zoo would have been accused of being negligent for not having a 25 ft sealed iron curtain between the gorillas and the public, the shooter would be named an American hero complete with a medal ceremony attended by Pres. Obama, a movie deal reiterating how noble the shooter is and scenes recounting how he married his childhood sweetheart, and Harambe the gorilla would have been called the N-word, thug, or attributed to being from Africa hence the reason for his violent tendencies and need to be shot.
Until today I had no idea that the parent wasn't white. I assumed they were white because it seems like overtime something like this happens it is a white family. It is an American thing to expect everyone else to childproof everything so that parents don't have to be parents.
Kid gets into neighbor's yard and drowns in pool? Neighbor's fault for not making sure your kid was safe.

White people do love their dogs. Vick is a scumbag and so is everyone who was involved. That includes any of the white people doing the same thing. I doubt that you will find many whites defending other whites caught doing what Vick did. Vick made headlines because he was a starting NFL quarterback. Had that been Tony Romo he would have been tarred and feathered as well.

The others you mention don't get the hate because they are unknown and so a whole lot less publicity.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:40 AM

71,920 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Witnesses describe screams, shots at gorilla enclosure - CNN.com

Do they really have to kill the gorilla? I wish he had a name.
of course we care and yes, they did.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:41 AM

6,223 posts, read 5,354,840 times
The zoo wanted to avoid a possible multi million dollar lawsuit. Who knows, that could still happen. Putting the gorilla down was really the only option in this case. People don't realize that tranq rounds don't work like they do in the movies. That would have done nothing but agitate the gorilla and possible cause harm to the child

There is also the human element in this. Whenever a child is seemingly in danger people will do what it takes to protect the child regardless if the parents are irresponsible.

Zoos are more than just a tourist attraction. Behind the scenes you have scientists working to protect species that are either being hunted to extinction or having their habitat destroyed.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:43 AM

20,195 posts, read 12,105,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They should have tried tranquilizers. If the gorilla ended up killing the brat, well too bad. Gorillas are endangered; humans are not.

if one of yours? and you can say anything about your parenting if you have kids--but could be a niece, grand? extended family--- can't control everything- sad

Old 06-01-2016, 05:48 AM

20,195 posts, read 12,105,285 times
we have ZOO accidents all the time-- I still think mesh type fences should be in all cages- small kids and stupid people always try to over reach-- it happens - I am grateful the gorilla did NOT get spooked by the child- and kill it on the spot-- that amazes me- sorry you had to go, but you did a good job- with the little boy -- and those haters leave that poor family alone- they getting death threats-- it was not their decisions --

Old 06-01-2016, 07:07 AM

8,036 posts, read 4,198,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes, they really did need to kill him. There was no other option to ensure the child was safe. I blame the parents, but I'm sure they would have done something differently if they could go back. It is a sad thing that happened, but sad things happen every day.
We just spent the greater part of Memorial Day at Brookfield Zoo (the big zoo in Chicagoland). Keeping track of your kids at a crowded zoo is hard and it is certainly possible that you lose track of one for a couple seconds while dealing with the other ones. It's an absolute marathon of child management. We managed to keep up with our kids okay, but it would have been easy to lose track briefly. The underlying problem is that it was even remotely possible for a little child to get all the way to the gorilla. Ever. Even a little genius prodigy shouldn't be able to do it. Ever. It should even be impossible even for an adult. Drunk grown-ups do stupid things too after all.

As I understand it, there has been an effort to redesign enclosures to let visitors get closer up to the animals and this is the reason for this particular enclosure not being child safe. Folks, we have childproof lids, locks and other such systems all over the place for a reason. You can't see everything and be everywhere at the same time. As a parent, I'm astounded that any zoo would design their enclosure so poorly and I would never visit a zoo where this is remotely possible.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:16 AM

8,335 posts, read 9,792,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I smell a lawsuit by the parents. It should not have been so easy for the kid to get close to the gorilla.
Yet somehow it was the first breach since that exhibit opened 38 years ago.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:16 AM

9,418 posts, read 4,329,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
We just spent the greater part of Memorial Day at Brookfield Zoo (the big zoo in Chicagoland). Keeping track of your kids at a crowded zoo is hard and it is certainly possible that you lose track of one for a couple seconds while dealing with the other ones. It's an absolute marathon of child management. We managed to keep up with our kids okay, but it would have been easy to lose track briefly. The underlying problem is that it was even remotely possible for a little child to get all the way to the gorilla. Ever. Even a little genius prodigy shouldn't be able to do it. Ever. It should even be impossible even for an adult. Drunk grown-ups do stupid things too after all.

As I understand it, there has been an effort to redesign enclosures to let visitors get closer up to the animals and this is the reason for this particular enclosure not being child safe. Folks, we have childproof lids, locks and other such systems all over the place for a reason. You can't see everything and be everywhere at the same time. As a parent, I'm astounded that any zoo would design their enclosure so poorly and I would never visit a zoo where this is remotely possible.
Wasn't it the Brookfield Zoo where a similar incident happened several years back. Except in that incident the gorilla was a female and was obviously trying to help the kid. That one had a happy ending.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:17 AM

295 posts, read 132,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

Absolutely agree. Humans are not perfect. Accidents happen. This is far from the first or only time a child OR adult has ended up inside an animals enclosure. That's not safe for either the animal or human! I saw a spokesperson for the zoo saying that for people who don't know about Silverbacks, the zoo couldn't take the chance. Meaning this particular animal can be particularly dangerous. So surely the enclosure should have been more secure.

But what's done is done. All parties would go back in time if they could but they can't. So people need to stop with all the anger. It's not helping anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or