U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 05:38 AM

20,278 posts, read 12,143,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
This is so perplexing...it's just so strange that a minority parent would be negligent when it comes to parenting.

No-- children will do the unexpected- if you ever had one, you know-- unfortunately every year children die doing those things no one thought they could--- and million get hurt. I guess the zoo, however, did not have some kind of barrier were a small child could fall through? I do not know -- I thought the kid was dead with the first pull-- it was good there was water to keep him from further injury - if not---
sorry for the animal but people come first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 06:31 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,838,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I $&*# you not, there are idiots on social media that blame the killing of the gorilla as an example of white privilege. Yep, and they say he was captured and "made a slave". Yes, there are people that are such a bunch of racists that they make THIS about race. That if it had been a black kid, they wouldn't have shot Harambe.

Too bad they are too stupid to get the facts first. Like the fact that the kid happened to be black.

I guess it's all that "genetic stress" kicking up again.
I think the Zoo did the right thing. Its better to have the animals blood on there hands and not the child's. I think the reaction and outrage is racially based though. Many people have been calling the DayCare the mother works at attempting to get her fired. Many people are desiring jail time for the mother and its has come to light that the father is well known criminal in Cincinnati. I honestly think if the child was white, and the mother had a well paying job like most white women, the animosity toward the mother would be much lighter. I also believe no information about a father would have been dug up like it has with this current little boy. Race is a major problem in America and the powers that be make it that way.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:51 AM

9,553 posts, read 4,359,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
You saw the short video. The gorilla was aggressive, dragging the child through the water. Not blaming the animal, it's exactly how a male silver back would be expected to act. A tranquilizer would have taken at least 10 minutes to take effect and would have made him even more aggressive. Kid would be dead.
You're right. I didn't see the part where the gorilla was acting aggressive. I guess they had no choice but to shoot him. Too bad they couldn't shoot the kid's parents (just kidding).

Old 05-31-2016, 07:10 AM

4,093 posts, read 6,424,806 times
This tragedy was the result of a negligent parent and an undisciplined spoiled child that are so common today. The mother's statement attempts to excuse her lack of care on an unruly child.
Who's in charge, the child, or the parent?
Her neglect resulted in the unnecessary death of a magnificent animal.
This unconcerned uncaring mother needs to be punished for her neglect. At the very least I hope folks will never let her forget the consquences of her misdeed.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:36 AM

21,681 posts, read 11,141,489 times
I believe it is the zoo to make sure no one can get in to the area . I have been in zoos and seen double chain link fencing around . No one could get in. We know children go to the zoo and the zoo should make sure no child can tumble into the area that a dangerous animal is kept. The responsibility rests with the zoo.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:39 AM

13,605 posts, read 7,435,118 times
The boy's mother is the administrator at a preschool.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:40 AM

1,100 posts, read 479,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I $&*# you not, there are idiots on social media that blame the killing of the gorilla as an example of white privilege. Yep, and they say he was captured and "made a slave". Yes, there are people that are such a bunch of racists that they make THIS about race. That if it had been a black kid, they wouldn't have shot Harambe.

Too bad they are too stupid to get the facts first. Like the fact that the kid happened to be black.

I guess it's all that "genetic stress" kicking up again.
#FreeTheGorillas

Old 05-31-2016, 07:41 AM

4,491 posts, read 1,673,405 times
Ok, yeah, the boy was black.

But I think you're exaggerating this significance of this. I see conservatives do this a lot with silly social justice things. They make a relatively small thing seem like it's huge and widely supported. I looked up news about 'Harambe white privilege' and got very few results, most of which were from conservative outlets reporting this. The first result was from Breitbar.com and it, to it's credit, linked evidence that this was happening. Three tweets, one of which sounded suspiciously like satire.

Now, in fairness, I checked Twitter to see if this was really a thing. And there were quite a lot of tweets about this subject as a whole, but I wouldn't' say it was being dominated by talk on white privilege. A huge chunk were saying how stupid it is to call it white privilege, plenty were just satire, and much of the #gorrillalivesmatter seemed to be coming from the point of animal rights and in opposition to bad parents.

Point is, this isn't entirely worth talking about it is? I actually had done this research last night, but wasn't going to respond because I just don't have the energy to respond to every little gripe that happens on Twitter. But this thread got three pages more than it deserved so I decided it was time to make a point.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:44 AM

18,302 posts, read 10,390,605 times
People are misguided in their choice of targets. We should instead direct our attention towards that part of our psyche that allows for the captivity of a sentient being for nothing more than to make some profit and satisfy prurient curiosity.

That Gorilla may very well have died an earlier death living in the wild but for a country that prides itself on the "give me liberty or give me death" meme; locking up gorillas seems particularly ironic.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:55 AM

21,681 posts, read 11,141,489 times
Children are quick, strong willed and can out move many parents who do have their eyes on there children. Color has no bearing atall.

I knew one young mother who had a child who would dart into the street and the child thought it a challenge fto get away from the mother. The mother bought a leash and harness to put on the child to keep him safe. People thought it was terrible to do this to a child. I belive it was taking extra measure to keep the child safe. We can't please everyone. The child could have been killed.

The zoo should have taken extra precautions to keep every child safe, or we should leash every child to keep them safe in the zoo. Take your pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or