U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 07:59 AM

11,702 posts, read 8,182,682 times

Advertisements

What does this have to do with race? There are plenty of white and hispanic parents that are negligent.

Back to the original OP's post. Yes there are idiots out there that think animals should be treated as humans. I think animals should be treated with respect and kindness but in a case like this what could be done?
If it was a female gorilla the kid might have had a chance to be retrieved but the males are aggressive and unpredictable.

What backlash would the zoo be facing if they hadn't shot the gorilla and it went on to kill the child. The zoo would be under fire that it didn't do enough to save that child and they must be racist because there is no doubt that if the kid had been white they would have tried harder to save it.

There are so many ridiculous angles and finger pointing to this story. The same people who are claiming that the gorilla was a slave and giving it the status of human are probably the same people who would let their pitbull lick their babies face and sleep in the crib with it.

It is stupid that the kid got into the enclosure and down right tragic that amazing animal had to pay the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 08:08 AM

7,059 posts, read 4,059,257 times
Two issues:

A parent was negligent enough to allow their child to scale a wall and as a result of saving the child the zoo had to kill an endangered animal.

The zoo, knowing over 1 million children annually visit the park, allowed a wall to scalable by a young child in a short time frame. The child being a child fell into a gorillas area and as a result the child was almost fatally wounded.

Both owe duties to each other and both breached them. And lawsuit!

Old 05-31-2016, 08:12 AM

1,100 posts, read 477,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Two issues:

A parent was negligent enough to allow their child to scale a wall and as a result of saving the child the zoo had to kill an endangered animal.

The zoo, knowing over 1 million children annually visit the park, allowed a wall to scalable by a young child in a short time frame. The child being a child fell into a gorillas area and as a result the child was almost fatally wounded.

Both owe duties to each other and both breached them. And lawsuit!
Apparently, the child didn't scale the railing...he squeezed through the railing. I'm just wondering how the parent(s) and/or no one else noticed a small child squeezing himself through a protective railing, into the gorilla pit, until it was to late.

I'm assuming it's a smart phones fault. We should ban smart phones.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:13 AM

44,480 posts, read 17,762,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The zoo should have taken extra precautions to keep every child safe, or we should leash every child to keep them safe in the zoo. Take your pick.
They did. This isn't the zoo's fault.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:20 AM

7,059 posts, read 4,059,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
Apparently, the child didn't scale the railing...he squeezed through the railing. I'm just wondering how the parent(s) and/or no one else noticed a small child squeezing himself through a protective railing, into the gorilla pit, until it was to late.

I'm assuming it's a smart phones fault. We should ban smart phones.
Fair enough, nonetheless their measures were inadequate for protecting over 1 million of their annual visitors. This is one of those suits where both sides have good arguments and counter arguments.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:30 AM

21,640 posts, read 11,090,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
They did. This isn't the zoo's fault.
If the zoo took precautions how did a mere three year old tumble inside ?

Old 05-31-2016, 08:33 AM

21,640 posts, read 11,090,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Fair enough, nonetheless their measures were inadequate for protecting over 1 million of their annual visitors. This is one of those suits where both sides have good arguments and counter arguments.
Why didn,t they use a chain link fence? Most zoos use them to keep the people safe as well as the animals from the people.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:35 AM

1,100 posts, read 477,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
I think the enclosure should have had a fence higher then 3 feet. but where was the parents while little Joe was climing the fence??
He didn't climb the fence...he squeezed through the railings. Either way - the parents were probably buried in their smart phones. #BanSmartPhones

Old 05-31-2016, 08:36 AM

164 posts, read 115,012 times
I think the OP just wanted to point out that some people immediately cry "Racism" not matter how far fetched it sounds. And then, when what they were crying racism about is no longer racism because the villain turns out to be one of their own. I'm think he is justified in posting this and I'm glad he did. I began to think I was the only one that saw the story and became upset over it. It will not be mentioned on most news sights. It just goes to show that the REAL racists are the ones that won't llet things go. If the OP is anything like me, he would like to hear what the people that were saying this was a white privilege thing have to say now after they find out the kid was black???

Old 05-31-2016, 08:36 AM

44,480 posts, read 17,762,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
If the zoo took precautions how did a mere three year old tumble inside ?
Irresponsible parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or