Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 07:29 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,427 times

Advertisements

I'm 27 and very resistant to a lot of the ideas popular with millenials...but I've always been the type to evaluate things for myself, even if my conclusion is unpopular. Maybe I was lucky that my dad is the same way.

I think the overarching problem is this...

A) Most people, regardless of age, don't really know how to think. They don't understand a rational argument from an irrational one (or they think that getting upset and attacking someone's character counts as an argument), they don't understand principles and extending logically from them to avoid contradictions, and they don't think critically enough.

Millennials are even worse than average at critical thinking and tolerating ideas that don't align with what they've been conditioned to think. I don't even need to give examples because it's so obvious. There was even a study done that ranked millenials as the least tolerant generation.

B) Young people always want to find some kind of identity, and a TON of completely idiotic ideas have become fashionable. I know at least a handful of people who have completely bought into the whole SJW mentality and have taken that on as their identity. It's pretty sad, especially when they're smart...being smart but not understanding logic and reason vs. irrational emotional non-logic is a big problem.

Last edited by T0103E; 05-31-2016 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 07:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'm 27 and very resistant to a lot of the ideas popular with millenials...but I've always been the type to evaluate things for myself, even if my conclusion is unpopular. Maybe I was lucky that my dad is the same way.

I think the overarching problem is this...

A) Most people, regardless of age, don't really know how to think. They don't understand a rational argument from an irrational one (or they think that getting upset and attacking someone's character counts as an argument), they don't understand principles and extending logically from them to avoid contradictions, and they don't think critically enough.

Millennials are even worse than average at critical thinking and tolerating ideas that don't align with what they've been conditioned to think. I don't even need to give examples because it's so obvious. There was even a study done that ranked millenials as the least tolerant generation.

B) Young people always want to find some kind of identity, and a TON of completely idiotic ideas have become fashionable. I know at least a handful of people who have completely bought into the whole SJW mentality and have taken that on as their identity. It's pretty sad, especially when they're smart...being smart but not understanding logic and reason vs. irrational emotional non-logic is a big problem.
i am impressed, a well thought out, cogent argument that defines the current generation pretty well. it also shows the weakness of the older generations as well.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:24 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
true enough, however when fully 25% of high school seniors say that japan bombed pearl harbor in 1776, you do have to wonder what is going on.
I would call it a failure of the American educational system, a system that was not, need I say it, made by millennials. This is what's so funny to me about members of Generation X calling millennials stupid. Humans are, by nature, social creatures and we learn by watching our elders. This is why people with bad parents often don't turn out to be the best parents either. When the Gen Xers give an insufficient education, they don't have a right to say the Millennials are the failures.

Lucky for the Gen Xers, I don't think millennials are stupid. I do think the educational system created by Generation X is laughably poor, but I do not think this resulted in stupid people.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:39 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,524,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I understand that young people, for many, many years, have needed to have some slack cut. And I have joined in cutting that slack. I could think back to my own younger days and say, "geez, I really didn't know half as much as I thought I did". And that realization helped me to cut teens and 20-somethings a lot of slack. It's simply not fair to expect them to be as wise as people much older than them.

But holy cow. This current crop of younger people (let's just say those under 30 or 35) are a sight to behold. The conscious decision by our educational system and its ideological masters to keep young people in ignorance has born fruit. Smashingly. The level of ignorance among younger people is simply astounding. It goes waaaaay beyond the historical patterns as mentioned above.

I don't know the answer to having so many young sheeple, but if one is not found, we are so screwed.
If you find the millennial generation a disappointment,then you have to bear the blame along with boomers (of which I am one), and genXers for failing to properly prepare them for life.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:45 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,607 times
If we're gonna generalize this ridiculously I proclaim baby boomers are the worst parents of all time for raising us.

They're also always miserable and don't take responsibility for anything and destroyed the economy, got rid of all our jobs, won't retire, and wonder why we have trouble finding work.

The bolded is actually true lol.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:15 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,899,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
just look at water's world asking students who we fought for the Rev war or ww2, on youtube. they don't KNOW. I think that they should be gut-shot for not finding out on their OWN what their forbears died for! pos's.
Mark Dice has his Man on the Street Mondays interviews; wickedly entertaining and horrifying all at the same time (here are 70 installments):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...17_-z5jhPuxVVv

Old 05-31-2016, 09:21 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,899,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
If you find the millennial generation a disappointment,then you have to bear the blame along with boomers (of which I am one), and genXers for failing to properly prepare them for life.
Absolutely true. As I said twice, it's not really their fault, at least the bulk of it. They are products of an educational system designed to keep them in ignorance (as awful as that sounds). That system has succeeded like crazy (it should have; with all the money and effort put into making it what it is). And so our young people know nothing.
They are slack-jawed morons. Which is a sad way to go through life; hopefully some (many) of them will find their "third eye" and see how they have been used and sold short. And do something about it.
Otherwise, it's all over.

I'm not a boomer, btw. My nine older siblings were; I just missed out (thank God). I could see, even as a teen, just what the Crappiest Generation was doing to mess up the world and the future for me and my friends. I loathed that generation then, and I loathe it even more now.

(And does it even need to be said that there are exceptions to every rule; that all of my charges are IN GENERAL?? Geez.)

Old 05-31-2016, 09:31 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Talking Oh, yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I understand that young people, for many, many years, have needed to have some slack cut. And I have joined in cutting that slack. I could think back to my own younger days and say, "geez, I really didn't know half as much as I thought I did". And that realization helped me to cut teens and 20-somethings a lot of slack. It's simply not fair to expect them to be as wise as people much older than them.

But holy cow. This current crop of younger people (let's just say those under 30 or 35) are a sight to behold. The conscious decision by our educational system and its ideological masters to keep young people in ignorance has born fruit. Smashingly. The level of ignorance among younger people is simply astounding. It goes waaaaay beyond the historical patterns as mentioned above.

I don't know the answer to having so many young sheeple, but if one is not found, we are so screwed.

...kids these days.

Right!

It's like this every generation. The oldies slagging on the newbies.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:49 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
...kids these days.

Right!

It's like this every generation. The oldies slagging on the newbies.

The Greatest Generation talked crap about the lazy, drug addicted long haired Baby Boomers, who then complained that Gen X are all a bunch of slackers, and now both Boomers and Xers say Millennials are dumb and stupid. So boring and predictable.

Plus, a lot of these generalizations don't even apply to people like me. I'm not white, I was raised in the sticks and came from the Caribbean, and poor growing up. Most of these "Millennial behaviors" mostly describe suburban, upwardly mobile, upper middle class whites.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 05-31-2016 at 10:03 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 10:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
I have a 23 year old nephew, married to a 22 year old young woman. She went to a local CC and got certified to be a medical tech. He has entered an apprenticeship program to be an electrician. They have no debt, an income adequate to support them, medical insurance and retirement programs. Yes, they play video games. They go to movies. They read books. They party with friends. They also show up for work on time and put in quite a bit of overtime. They love each other and take care of each other. I have no doubt that they will have a successful life, no matter what they have to deal with.

Family expectations play a huge part in individual success. When we have a family reunion, 40 people will show up, and there's not a bum in the bunch. No druggies, no drunks, no convicts. It's a family full of engineers, nurses, doctors, farmers, contractors, administrators, executives and skilled workers. My parents' generation went through the depression and WWII, ending up well off. My (boomer) generation had a lot of advantages, and did very well. The GenXers are the ones who ended up LPEs, accountants, BSRNs, and MDs. The Millennials are coming along very nicely, starting families, buying homes and hauling down a good income.

Genes have a lot to do with it. There's not a double digit IQ in the bunch. They also have healthy bodies, with some pretty decent amateur athletes in the family. I think the amount of generational counseling they get is just as important, particularly the news that success doesn't always come easily. The only guaranteed failure is someone who doesn't try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies