U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 07:36 AM

596 posts, read 317,527 times

Advertisements

I can almost picture the author drumming her hands on the desk deep in thought...

AFC: something-something, is too white...too white...too white...
AFC: Crossfit?
AFC: Volunteering at homeless shelters?
AFC: Bowling?
AFC: Eureka!!! Girl Scouts....Girl Scouts are too White.
AFC: Boss!! Have I got a good one for you! mutters *effing gringos*

So people with an outsized sense of entitlement and resentment towards the culture that enables them are uninterested in civic organizations? Something must be done!

Ms. Campbell deserves a Pulitzer.

Last edited by ScottPlake; 05-31-2016 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 07:42 AM

20,060 posts, read 12,036,753 times
When you buy a box of Girl Scout Cookies, most of the money stays with the Girl Scout you purchased cookies from, her troop, and right here in our local community. None of the money made from actually selling cookies goes to the national organization--10 to 20 percent of the revenue—which goes towards programming, scholarships, or for local community service projects—while the regional council ends up with the bulk of the proceeds at 65 to 75 percent.
Nearly a century later, the Girl Scouts of the USA command a $700 million cookie empire, unloading 200 million boxes a year.

This is only about the cookies- not they clothe or dues- or any other sales- I think this is counter productive to fat America- I personally do NOT like the girls selling anything on the streets

Old 05-31-2016, 07:57 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,620,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Actually, the local Boy Scout troop gets 70% of the money from popcorn sales. Now the Girl Scouts get less than 10% of cookie sales. My daughter has been a leader for both and they are run completely different. Girl Scouts can't even have bake sales without the money going to the regional council. They want it all.
The Boy Scouts use their money for fun events for the boys, and helping with uniforms and badges. The Girl Scout money goes to the council and no one on the local level knows what they do with it.
This is disturbing could it all be a political ploy and we all think it is about selling cookies? People work on protecting the rainforest from human invasion, only to know those cookies are loaded with palm oil.

Keep sending your donations to save the orangutans, tigers, elephants, and rhinoceros......when all one has to do is stop eating a high calorie cookie that lines the pockets of a few elites.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:59 AM

10,953 posts, read 4,816,363 times
The US: Still Mostly White

Old 05-31-2016, 08:10 AM

4,416 posts, read 1,875,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Clearly somewhere, somehow white people must be racist, or at least not sufficiently welcoming. Since we all know that all groups are the same in all ways, the explanation that white people just happen to like conservation, camping, volunteering, citizenship, etc. more than blacks and Mexicans is not an acceptable explanation.

The Girl Scouts of the USA Is Struggling to Recruit Hispanic and African American Scouts - The Atlantic
That's what you learned from this article? Really??? You clearly show a lack of understanding on the subject. You are throwing at the wall and seeing if it sticks. LOL

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-31-2016 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: bypassing the profanity filter

Old 05-31-2016, 09:06 AM

9,487 posts, read 6,667,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Actually, the local Boy Scout troop gets 70% of the money from popcorn sales. Now the Girl Scouts get less than 10% of cookie sales. My daughter has been a leader for both and they are run completely different. Girl Scouts can't even have bake sales without the money going to the regional council. They want it all.
The Boy Scouts use their money for fun events for the boys, and helping with uniforms and badges. The Girl Scout money goes to the council and no one on the local level knows what they do with it.
Meanwhile the CEO is makes 1.6 million a year from the revenues. Nice job if you can get it!

Old 05-31-2016, 09:19 AM

8,199 posts, read 6,098,432 times
Quote:
The 104-year-old organization is having trouble recruiting black and Latina kids. Why?

Why does it matter? Major League Baseball is constantly wringing its hands about the lack of black kids playing baseball. Different groups like to do different things. I don't see what the problem is if hispanic and black girls aren't interested in the Girl Scouts.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:21 AM

4,754 posts, read 1,998,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Why the "struggle" to recruit different colors. It's so dumb this diversity crap.
As long as they are not excluding colors who cares who the hell signs up.
So stupid.
Good points

Old 05-31-2016, 09:33 AM

248 posts, read 130,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Clearly somewhere, somehow white people must be racist, or at least not sufficiently welcoming. Since we all know that all groups are the same in all ways, the explanation that white people just happen to like conservation, camping, volunteering, citizenship, etc. more than blacks and Mexicans is not an acceptable explanation.
You want the truth I presume?
The Girl Scouts like the Boy Scouts have a reputation for being 'outdoorsy' and minorities don't tend to be the outdoorsy type. Further, the Girl Scout organization teaches self worth, discipline, unity, commitment, accountability, respect, work ethic, commerce...etc. Honestly, these are things that many minorities see no value in teaching as it is not easy...it requires time, work, commitment and quality parenting...I'm trying to be as PC as possible here...sorry if my point is a bit blurry....I'm trying hard to keep the blind from crying BIGOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Any parent that sends the kids to the Boys or Girl Scouts is demented. These kids are forced to sell from door to door to support the high salary of the CEOs and higher ups.
Spoken like a true Libby....search with a magnifying glass for that one thing that sucks...and dismiss the 100 positives that lie on the surface in plain sight.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:35 AM

34,593 posts, read 33,579,817 times
Never heard of girl scout recruitment. Is that done these days? If not, no one has a beef. Just join.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or