Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 02:17 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
How many loans do you underwrite?
It's not about what I underwrite. It's about what the GSEs' automated underwriting systems allowed: 67% too many high-risk loans.

I already posted the link proving exactly such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This isn't all the banks fault. No one was verifying any of this.
Exactly. That's what happened with the GSEs' automated underwriting system. Nothing was verified. I already posted the link that said the GSE's' underwriting system approved 65% more loans than manual underwriting would have. All of that extra 65% was high risk.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Fraud, those underwriting it were guilty.
The GSEs (Fannie and Freddie) underwrote the loans. It was their "automated underwriting" system that was used. I already posted the link.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:29 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
They simply made stuff up. There were no standards where people with no verifiable income were acceptable. In those cases Countrywide (and others) simply made stuff up.

This isn't all the banks fault. No one was verifying any of this. To try and set the blame at what levels is a waste of time. This was a complete failure by the government and the banks.
It was everyone's fault. From first time homebuyers to the middle class to mortgage industry to the overall financial sector to the government.

None of the checks and balances of the private sector (ratings groups and plain old fiduciary responsibility) or the public sector (deregulation).

Old 06-03-2016, 02:30 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's not about what I underwrite. It's about what the GSEs' automated underwriting systems allowed: 67% too many high-risk loans.

I already posted the link proving exactly such.
They didn't have to underwrite any bad loans. That would mean limiting loan underwriting to qualified borrowers but they didn't have to do it.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The GSEs (Fannie and Freddie) underwrote the loans. It was their "automated underwriting" system that was used. I already posted the link.
You don't get it. This didn't get toxic until all the subprime loans started getting bundled up (CDOs) and rubber stamped AAA or AA by PRIVATE rating agencies.

The government NEVER made the financial industry package the subprime loans into CDOs, THAT was the private sector's doing.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I never said that. I've said the opposite. To try and defend the government here is equally as stupid. Who was supposedly regulating the ratings agencies? Who allowed them all to walk away with their millions of dollars holding no one really accountable for any of it?

Why did the government do this? They were all in on the scam.
Deregulation of the late 90's and early 2000s and the revolving door between government employment and private sector. Kinda strange how them SEC folks that were let go or quit ended up working for the banks in the early 2000s.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
They didn't have to underwrite any bad loans.
Then why did the GSEs' automated underwriting system do so?

Old 06-03-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
You don't get it. This didn't get toxic until all the subprime loans started getting bundled up (CDOs) and rubber stamped AAA or AA by PRIVATE rating agencies.
Private rating agencies saw GSE endorsements and thought all was good. But we know post-mortem that the GSE automated underwriting system approved 65% too many loans, all of that 65% being too high risk.

Do you understand the problem, now?

Old 06-03-2016, 02:49 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times
Quote:
I have no clue as to why you would ask me this as they are all guilty.
If you bought a MBS that was riddled with fraud were you guilty too? If you bought something made in China that the trade deficit was financed buy buying the Mortgage backed securities are you guilty? How far up the food chain does the guilt spread?
Quote:
I never said that. I've said the opposite. To try and defend the government here is equally as stupid. Who was supposedly regulating the ratings agencies? Who allowed them all to walk away with their millions of dollars holding no one really accountable for any of it?
Crony capitalism. I'm not saying the government wasn't dirty.
Quote:

Why did the government do this? They were all in on the scam.
Group dynamics. A Real Estate bubble is a living thing. It will change the laws to meet its needs, it will overcome everything in its path, and the only thing that will stop it is massive defaults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies