U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 07:12 AM

14,298 posts, read 8,058,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Beyond your bait thread title, it is really sad how poorly this country functions to look out for families. It is becoming a point where people are being punished to live in poverty just because they wish to start a family.
The democrats and the left have done a great job disparaging the American family over the decades.

If it's not the feminist left criticizing women for getting married and raising a family, it's been the gay marriage crowd trying to knock marriage down far enough so they can climb on board. I also remember watching Bill Clinton stand up on stage during the Democratic Convention, saying "I'm sick and tired of hearing about family values."

The liberal left have kicked, and thrown so much mud at marriage, the family and traditional values, that we even have young black school kids telling their teachers, "marriage is for white people."

You have to hand it to the left, they keep chipping away at things until they get what they want. Funny thing is, once they get to where they wanted, no one is happy with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 07:31 AM

14,298 posts, read 8,058,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
We've cut the birth rate by more than 60M in just 45 years.
We went from the US birth rate, with American citizens having American children, and replaced it with importing immigrants, who fled from their dysfunctional homelands.

The multicultural, egalitarian left encourages immigrants not to assimilate, but to keep their customs, traditions, lifestyles, which were sometimes the very instruments which created the problems forcing them to flee their homes in the first place. The left encourages this Balkanization, because they look upon the American people, our lifestyles, traditions and our customs as the focus of all that is wrong with the world.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:35 AM

5,480 posts, read 8,799,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
The black single parent rate was in SINGLE DIGITS before the War On Poverty started in the 1960's.

After that it sky rocketed.

The War on Poverty had the OPPOSITE effect.
Sort of like "the war on drugs". The "war" has been going on for 40+ years and drugs are as easy to buy as candy.

Everytime the government gets involved seems like things get worse.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:36 AM

7,160 posts, read 2,335,640 times
It is a privilege, not a white one though. The percentage of white children born into single parent homes (36 percent) in the United States is higher than a number of African nations. Take Nigeria for example, the OOW rate is less than 10 percent.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 06-02-2016 at 08:25 AM..

Old 06-02-2016, 08:37 AM

28,862 posts, read 15,207,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
It is a privilege, not a white one though. The percentage of white children born into single parent homes (36 percent) in the United States is higher than a number of African nations. Take Nigeria for example, the OOW rate is less than 10 percent.
I wonder if those nations provide economic incentives for having single parent homes?

Old 06-02-2016, 02:04 PM

14,379 posts, read 7,903,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
These checks are nowhere near enough to help any parent to raise a family. Just having one child could financially cripple a parent in this country.
Again, when the system was created divorce and having children out of wedlock was much more rare. The desire of having a family, in the traditional sense, has been flipped on its head. The system has degraded into a state which enslaves those who rely on it as a primary means of support.

At this point, it's probably too late to salvage in any meaningful way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Sort of like "the war on drugs". The "war" has been going on for 40+ years and drugs are as easy to buy as candy.

Everytime the government gets involved seems like things get worse.
Because our representatives no longer represent us. The only thing we offer them is our vote, and like clockwork the political class will say and promise anything to get our votes, only to turn around and ignore us once they are elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
We went from the US birth rate, with American citizens having American children, and replaced it with importing immigrants, who fled from their dysfunctional homelands.

The multicultural, egalitarian left encourages immigrants not to assimilate, but to keep their customs, traditions, lifestyles, which were sometimes the very instruments which created the problems forcing them to flee their homes in the first place. The left encourages this Balkanization, because they look upon the American people, our lifestyles, traditions and our customs as the focus of all that is wrong with the world.
The irony is that the ranks of the self-loathing totalitarian PC crowd are made up primarily of middle and upper class. They hate themselves for being privileged, so they hate privilege... while enjoying it.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:12 PM

47,328 posts, read 45,113,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If the ex refuses to follow a custody order they can end up in trouble with the court. If these men haven't gone through the court to get a custody agreement, they must not care that much (in the majority of cases).
Some have gone through the courts. And the laws vary by state. In some cases, the mother gets a slap on the wrist.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:15 PM

15,247 posts, read 7,773,232 times
FYI, the OP article regarding black children are not speaking about them being reared by single parents it is about them being born to unwed mothers. The "source" of the article is about out of wedlock births and not single parenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
The black single parent rate was in SINGLE DIGITS before the War On Poverty started in the 1960's.

After that it sky rocketed.

The War on Poverty had the OPPOSITE effect.
On this, that is completely false. Prior to 1960 the out of wedlock birthrate for black children was about 25%. That is why it is nearly "three times" what it was as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Also, I don't believe that having a father in one's life is "white privilege." Most black children know their father and have him in their life. Just because someone's parents aren't married doesn't mean that they don't have a father or that they are fatherless. My parents weren't married when I was born and I have always known my father and he lived with me from birth through 8 years old.

I have a brother who hasn't been married but has 3 kids. One is grown and the two younger ones live with him. You would think that his kids "don't have a father" since they are a part of black out of wedlock birth statistics, however they have always had their father in their lives.

And on poverty, since the 1960s the black poverty rate has decreased nearly 3 times as well, which is interesting considering as the out of wedlock birthrate increased, poverty decreased. IMO this means that it is not the end-all/be-all factor in poverty rates for black people.

During this same time period educational outcomes for black children have increased substantially whereas in the 1970s about 30% of black people graduated high school and about 9% college and today over 80% of black children graduate high school and over 20% graduate college with a bachelor's degree, 10% get a master's degree or above.

During this same time period crime in majority black urban areas had decreased substantially from their heights of the 1970s-1990s to historic lows today.

All of the so call "at-risk" scenarios don't pan out when you look at the black demographic and statistics on the above since the 1960s forward. If what many of you believe in that OOW births are to blame for all the negatives of our demographic, then we would never have improved over the past 50 years.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:29 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,341,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
If this was all they have, of course it isn't enough. THAT was never the intention.

Listen up: When I was younger I had three friends (brothers) who were all from different fathers. Their mother was collecting welfare, and lived in a fairly decent home which was subsidized through section 8. All of them worked (the Brothers) and had fairly decent income, but of course none of it was ever claimed.

The mom drove a new Lexus, which was registered in her daughters name.

Believe me, they are probably not the average/typical welfare family... however I witnessed first hand how they juked the system.
Obviously we've all seen/heard/experienced what I'd call anecdotal evidence of abuse of the system. Even what you see something however, you're not always aware of the context and overall behavior of this person/family. I think personally, it's watching the junk and/or convenience food being paid for with the SNAP program that is the quickest way to irritate me.

However, that being said, we all know there is abuse of the system. Huge abuses in some cases. I guess my thought has always been, those who truly deserve help don't get enough, and those that don't deserve help, or as much help, or help for multiple generations, get far to much.

Locally just the other day there was woman who was charged with getting a few thousand dollars of aid fraudulently. I actually know her. She claimed just her and the kids lived in the home, "absentmindedly" leaving out her husband who is employed and bringing in a good wage. She was caught, but tens/hundreds of thousands are most likely doing similar things and aren't ever caught.

It's a relatively small percentage who are truly defrauding the system....but it still pisses a person off when you see it. I would guess there are a lot more that while not committing out and out fraud, are still milking it for all it's worth and not really attempting to raise themselves out of the need for help.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:18 PM

7,160 posts, read 2,335,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI, the OP article regarding black children are not speaking about them being reared by single parents it is about them being born to unwed mothers. The "source" of the article is about out of wedlock births and not single parenting.

On this, that is completely false. Prior to 1960 the out of wedlock birthrate for black children was about 25%. That is why it is nearly "three times" what it was as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Also, I don't believe that having a father in one's life is "white privilege." Most black children know their father and have him in their life. Just because someone's parents aren't married doesn't mean that they don't have a father or that they are fatherless. My parents weren't married when I was born and I have always known my father and he lived with me from birth through 8 years old.

I have a brother who hasn't been married but has 3 kids. One is grown and the two younger ones live with him. You would think that his kids "don't have a father" since they are a part of black out of wedlock birth statistics, however they have always had their father in their lives.

And on poverty, since the 1960s the black poverty rate has decreased nearly 3 times as well, which is interesting considering as the out of wedlock birthrate increased, poverty decreased. IMO this means that it is not the end-all/be-all factor in poverty rates for black people.

During this same time period educational outcomes for black children have increased substantially whereas in the 1970s about 30% of black people graduated high school and about 9% college and today over 80% of black children graduate high school and over 20% graduate college with a bachelor's degree, 10% get a master's degree or above.

During this same time period crime in majority black urban areas had decreased substantially from their heights of the 1970s-1990s to historic lows today.

All of the so call "at-risk" scenarios don't pan out when you look at the black demographic and statistics on the above since the 1960s forward. If what many of you believe in that OOW births are to blame for all the negatives of our demographic, then we would never have improved over the past 50 years.
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or