Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:49 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
We shouldn't be admitting people with infectious diseases, not even as tourists. Not even on a humanitarian basis.

They should be put in prison and/or forced to pay that anchor baby's medical bills.
Would you prevent US Citizens from travelling or going on cruises to these areas? US athletes banned from going to the Olympics?

What about Puerto Ricans coming back and forth to the states? Outbreak there also.Senator Rubio has talked about protecing the people of Puerto Rico too. They are US Citizens Banned? If and when Zika comes to the Gulf States, are you going to stop all travel there also, as Britian has warned their citizens not to go to Disney??????

This is all insanity. I live in Florida. Perhaps by July will I be prevented from attending a family wedding in NY in July because I might have Zika????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 09:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Would you prevent US Citizens from travelling or going on cruises to these areas? US athletes banned from going to the Olympics?

What about Puerto Ricans coming back and forth to the states? Outbreak there also.Senator Rubio has talked about protecing the people of Puerto Rico too. They are US Citizens Banned? If and when Zika comes to the Gulf States, are you going to stop all travel there also, as Britian has warned their citizens not to go to Disney??????

This is all insanity. I live in Florida. Perhaps by July will I be prevented from attending a family wedding in NY in July because I might have Zika????
I don't give a crap about your "what ifs." Currently we do not control the movements of US citizens from territory to territory or state to state. And obviously our athletes are going to go to the Olympics because public health doesn't mean anything when money is at stake.

However, we do have absolute 100% control over who we issue visas to...and we should never issue a visa of any kind to someone with an infectious disease. Period.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:36 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
We shouldn't be admitting people with infectious diseases, not even as tourists. Not even on a humanitarian basis.
Zika in a woman is not infectious. Zika is caused by a mosquito bite or a man passing it to his sex partners.

Over a million B2 tourist visas are issued each year and border agents have to rely on self-reporting or visible signs - there is no health inspection.
Note that B2 visas are good for a year and for multiple entries - we don't know if her B2 was issued on this or a previous trip.

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/sample...pplication.pdf
Security and Background Information
Do you have a communicable disease of public
health significance such as tuberculosis (TB)?
NO
Do you have a mental or physical disorder that
poses or is likely to pose a threat to the safety or
welfare of yourself or others?
NO
Are you or have you ever been a drug abuser or
addict?
NO
Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any
offense or crime, even though subject of a
pardon, amnesty, or other similar action?
NO
Have you ever violated, or engaged in a
conspiracy to violate, any law relating to
controlled substances?
NO
Are you coming to the United States to engage in
prostitution or unlawful commercialized vice or
have you been engaged in prostitution or
procuring prostitutes within the past 10 years?
NO
Have you ever been involved in, or do you seek to
engage in, money laundering?
NO
Do you seek to engage in espionage, sabotage,
export control violations, or any other illegal
activity while in the United States?
NO etc.....

The B2 visa refusal rate for Honduras is close to 40%.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_visa

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam...ort-TableI.pdf

Old 06-02-2016, 10:44 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
And this makes the baby a US citizen, that will be taken care of by taxpayers?
Unfortunately yes. I hope this will not result in another flood of illegal aliens across the border. Liberals and Democrats would probably support allowing them here en masse and giving them free treatment. Obama and other liberals refused a travel ban to the Ebola nations, remember that?

Old 06-03-2016, 07:56 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I wonder why she didn't go to Canada or England for their superior healthcare system.
She didn't go to Canada because if she had she would have been waiting for treatment...probably months and months, and months and months.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:09 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
It was reported she came to the US specifically to receive healthcare.
Figures, most women don't travel this far in the last month of pregnancy........unless FREE healthcare is the plan. I wonder if this family knows the Obamas?

Old 06-03-2016, 08:11 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I wonder what her bill will be... Ironically, it was reported the fetus had developmental issues right before she develop the rash... Is it truly even Zika-related?
Since the child was born here is it now our bill for the rest of this child's life and how many more are coming?

Old 06-03-2016, 08:14 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Zika in a woman is not infectious. Zika is caused by a mosquito bite or a man passing it to his sex partners.
of course it is. where do you think mosquitos get it from?

Old 06-03-2016, 08:26 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Figures, most women don't travel this far in the last month of pregnancy........unless FREE healthcare is the plan. I wonder if this family knows the Obamas?
Lots of foreign nationals come to the United States to seek expert medical care. If you read the article carefully, you'll notice that the woman's mother is a microbiologist, who sent her daughter's blood sample to the CDC for diagnostic confirmation. The mother is from a family of means and sought healthcare here in the United States that could not be provided in her home country. You have jumped to a conclusion that is not warranted in this situation.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:25 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Lots of foreign nationals come to the United States to seek expert medical care. If you read the article carefully, you'll notice that the woman's mother is a microbiologist, who sent her daughter's blood sample to the CDC for diagnostic confirmation. The mother is from a family of means and sought healthcare here in the United States that could not be provided in her home country. You have jumped to a conclusion that is not warranted in this situation.
Who is paying for the healthcare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies