U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 04:01 PM

12,792 posts, read 3,237,916 times

Advertisements

Corporations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I keep trying to invite one for tea-- but they never respond?
"One important reason for incorporating a company or forming an LLC is to protect the owners/stockholders against personal liability."

Just like the rest of us voting citizens are protected against personal liability, right?

Same goals, same wants and needs, same concern for family and friends, same money to influence our elected representatives...

Why would our founding fathers have any problem with corporate political influence let alone the rest of us?

"Unlike today, however, corporations were only permitted to exist 20 or 30 years and could only deal in one commodity, could not hold stock in other companies, and their property holdings were limited to what they needed to accomplish their business goals. And perhaps the most important facet of all this is that most states in the early days of the nation had laws on the books that made any political contribution by corporations a criminal offense."

What The Founding Fathers Thought About Corporations | Addicting Info | The Knowledge You Crave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Then there is all the money she made from her $225,000 speaking fees.

Can someone explain why anyone would pay Clinton a quarter mil to speak for any reason other than anticipated future access to the President? The women is the dullest, most boring speaker I have ever seen. The only time she is slightly less boring is when she screeches, cackles or uses her black accent. Those speeches were 100% payment in anticipation of her being the President.
Good question, like why did people watch The Apprentice or go to Trump University?

Depends on the audience of course, but point well taken. The problem of money in our political system is a serious one regardless what side of the fence you are on, but too many people don't really think so. Something like sensing you have cancer but not really wanting to go to the doctor to hear about it...

Our biggest problem of all...

Old 06-01-2016, 04:10 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,803,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't want to hear a single Republican dare say anything about campaign financing.
Or Democrats. Lord Cloney was pontificating about getting money out of politics while simultaneously holding a $350,000 per plate fundraiser for Clinton.

Yes, it's only wrong if R's do it...

Old 06-01-2016, 04:10 PM

21,673 posts, read 11,135,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Campaign fund raised by candidate:

Hillary Clinton: $289 M
Bernie Sanders: $206 M
Donald Trump: $60 M

https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/c...p?id=N00000019

How is this remotely fair? Hillary is spending and raising more than anybody else combined! That's not fair. We should put a 90% tax rate on everything Hillary raises - like a rainfall tax.

Keep in mind that she didn't earn most of those money if any. On the other hand, poor people are struggling on minimum wage.
Hillary bought and paid for.. they don't pay her for nothing,, they will get their special favors and to heck with the American people.. the usual give the people the shaft politics.

Coal miners getting the shaft.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:15 PM

21,673 posts, read 11,135,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Trump doesn't need to raise as much money. Fox News gives him LOADS of free airtime...

And all he has to do is say something insane or idiotic and he gets more free publicity.

When you're insane and get ratings, you don't need to spend as much $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

People love a freakshow and that's Donald Trump. Therefor the people beg him to come on their shows.
What a crock.. Hillary is invited over at Fox News and she will not go on air.. she is afraid of the real questions.

Trump goes anywhere when asked , he is not a wimp.. Trump is on CNN, MSNBC AND FOX..

Where ever and when ever Trump makes time to get on the air. Hillary hides..coward.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Big difference. Trump's money is coming from individuals. Hillary's is coming from Wall Street and Corporations. Who do you think has YOUR interests in mind?
Republicans Stunned After Trump Reveals That His Presidential Campaign Is Broke

Not really sure how true this recent news is, especially since we all know Trump knows how to get money out of others, but the big problem either way is how money is utterly corrupting the principles of democracy.

Perot had the same appeal, Schwarzenegger, now Trump...

"I don't need anyone's money, I've got my own."

On the one hand it is novel to think a politician is not beholden to other monied special interests to do their bidding, but does this mean that America must now count on the uber-wealthy to do an end-around the political process everyone else must contend with?

What can possibly be wrong with that scenario?

Fortunately the path to become POTUS is a grueling one that requires more than just money and hopefully the grilling these candidates must survive will somehow deliver a better leader than who simply has the most money to spend on their campaign, but more and more, it sure seems like money is making ALL the difference in who we get to choose as POTUS in the end.

If Trump didn't have so much money, for example, I seriously doubt we'd even know who he is let alone consider him as a serious candidate for office, any office let alone the most powerful in world...

Old 06-01-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Or Democrats. Lord Cloney was pontificating about getting money out of politics while simultaneously holding a $350,000 per plate fundraiser for Clinton.

Yes, it's only wrong if R's do it...
Not again...

Sometimes firefighters use fire to fight fire.

Think you might be able to understand the point of that analogy?

Or maybe hearing and trying to understand what Clooney actually said and tried to explain, just like Obama has, Sanders..., even Trump?

Hello?

Old 06-01-2016, 04:35 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,803,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not again...

Sometimes firefighters use fire to fight fire.

Think you might be able to understand the point of that analogy?

Or maybe hearing and trying to understand what Clooney actually said and tried to explain, just like Obama has, Sanders..., even Trump?

Hello?
Nonsense. He's another "Do as I say not as I do" Hollywood clown. If he were really trying to make a statement he'd be holding a Bernie fundraiser in the park. But he's not. He's using money and influence to try to get a crooked degenerate elected.

Using mispelled words as a point of attack is weak. I can destroy you six ways from Sunday. Mispelled words and all.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
What a crock.. Hillary is invited over at Fox News and she will not go on air.. she is afraid of the real questions.

Trump goes anywhere when asked , he is not a wimp.. Trump is on CNN, MSNBC AND FOX..

Where ever and when ever Trump makes time to get on the air. Hillary hides..coward.
Might just point out that all "good" politicians will avoid whatever circumstances they don't view as helpful to their cause. None of them are stupid. All will do what they believe makes strategic sense, which is why Hillary mostly focuses on Trump right now, not Sanders. You just don't want to do anything that gives your opponent any more credit than necessary...

Trump is the epitome of a "loose cannon," and loose cannons really don't care where they go...

Trump can go anywhere and say anything in any venue and no matter how outlandish or revolting he may be, his fans just love him all the more. Trump just loves the free exposure and the more over-the-top he is, the more attention he draws, a phenomena I'm not sure America has ever witnessed before when it comes to a bid for the White House.

Knowing what sort of business opportunist Trump really is, I can't help but think he knows this ultimately helps the Trump brand and his businesses whether he succeeds at his campaign or not, so ultimately he wins either way, and that's just the kind of deal Trump loves most -- when he wins -- regardless who loses.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Nonsense. He's another "Do as I say not as I do" Hollywood clown. If he were really trying to make a statement he'd be holding a Bernie fundraiser in the park. But he's not. He's using money and influence to try to get a crooked degenerate elected.

Using mispelled words as a point of attack is weak. I can destroy you six ways from Sunday. Mispelled words and all.
Oh for the love of you've just got to be kidding...

All logic and reason aside as clearly that's not your thing, pahleese take your six ways and beat your chest with it somewhere else. I doubt you could destroy a paper bag any better than you can spell, but I'll bet my bottom dollar those veins in your neck are popping out right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies