U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-04-2016, 08:32 AM
 
Location: louisville
4,754 posts, read 2,016,541 times
Reputation: 1713

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Quotes doesn't make a difference, and you are waffling a bit. First that was your take on being conservative, now it's "both sides."

Getting a little dizzy, and I've got to move on, but good chatting with you this morning. Cheers!
You missed the point. Media defined labels are far removed from the 'academic' social science defined labels. Conservative historically meant something much different than today. Conservative historically is actually progressive. Just as on economics, laissez-faire.

I'm not British. I'm French/Algerian. Bon jour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2016, 08:32 AM
 
12,838 posts, read 3,248,634 times
Reputation: 1599
Case in point and/or isn't this rich?

Stein has never voted for a Democrat, but he is appalled by Trump’s anti-free trade rhetoric that he says could lead to a trade war. Hillary Clinton probably has a better grasp of things, Stein thinks. Bernie Sanders, on the other hand, is “willfully ignorant”.

“I have seen a lot of elections and I have never seen anything like this. It seems to me it is a testament to the complete collapse of education that people can have such preposterous policies as an end to free trade and think that’s going to help America. It’s just startling that: a) the candidates know so little and; b) that the voters have not been better informed about this. The American education system is in a state of freefall collapse so that certainly explains a lot,” he says.

The Republican economist talks about the 2016 election and why he’ll still vote for Donald Trump despite this ‘preposterous’ ideas about the economy

https://www.theguardian.com/business...rump-economics

So Trump is a moron, Sanders hardly better, Hillary has the better grasp of things, but voting for Trump anyway. This makes sense or just another case of how political ideology blinds us stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 08:40 AM
 
Location: louisville
4,754 posts, read 2,016,541 times
Reputation: 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Case in point and/or isn't this rich?

Stein has never voted for a Democrat, but he is appalled by Trump’s anti-free trade rhetoric that he says could lead to a trade war. Hillary Clinton probably has a better grasp of things, Stein thinks. Bernie Sanders, on the other hand, is “willfully ignorant”.

“I have seen a lot of elections and I have never seen anything like this. It seems to me it is a testament to the complete collapse of education that people can have such preposterous policies as an end to free trade and think that’s going to help America. It’s just startling that: a) the candidates know so little and; b) that the voters have not been better informed about this. The American education system is in a state of freefall collapse so that certainly explains a lot,” he says.

The Republican economist talks about the 2016 election and why he’ll still vote for Donald Trump despite this ‘preposterous’ ideas about the economy

https://www.theguardian.com/business...rump-economics

So Trump is a moron, Sanders hardly better, Hillary has the better grasp of things, but voting for Trump anyway. This makes sense or just another case of how political ideology blinds us stupid?
Stupid ideology that's blinds those who label themselves.

As I told you before: I'm writing in my own candidate, as I have since 04.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 09:30 AM
 
280 posts, read 186,738 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Finally, enough with the guns already! For me anyway, the issue of gun control as compared to the overall social and economic considerations when it comes to foreign and domestic affairs is much like focusing on the flies at a rodeo.
LearnMe... I'm trying to understand where you stand on these issues. I wasn't trying to bring up the "guns" issue but rather point out that there are many liberals who think the conservative states are a redneck paradise that will devolve everyone shooting each other.

Illegal immigration is a VERY big deal. The public was told in the 80s that giving amnesty would solve the problem but that was a lie. The majority of those coming in illegally are on very bottom in terms of skill level. We have millions of people who can pick produce, clean houses or mow a yard. Furthermore, these individuals are crippling our social services. Illegal is illegal they knew that when they came over here but well aware that the US is too soft to stop it. Europe is finally seeing what CA has been dealing with for decades and you see how all of a sudden their stance change when it is in their own backyard.

While I am not against "rounding them up". Simply making it that you don't get ANY social services unless you are a citizen (welfare, housing, healthcare, education) would quickly have many of these people leave on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 09:38 AM
 
Location: louisville
4,754 posts, read 2,016,541 times
Reputation: 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
LearnMe... I'm trying to understand where you stand on these issues. I wasn't trying to bring up the "guns" issue but rather point out that there are many liberals who think the conservative states are a redneck paradise that will devolve everyone shooting each other.

Illegal immigration is a VERY big deal. The public was told in the 80s that giving amnesty would solve the problem but that was a lie. The majority of those coming in illegally are on very bottom in terms of skill level. We have millions of people who can pick produce, clean houses or mow a yard. Furthermore, these individuals are crippling our social services. Illegal is illegal they knew that when they came over here but well aware that the US is too soft to stop it. Europe is finally seeing what CA has been dealing with for decades and you see how all of a sudden their stance change when it is in their own backyard.

While I am not against "rounding them up". Simply making it that you don't get ANY social services unless you are a citizen (welfare, housing, healthcare, education) would quickly have many of these people leave on their own.
Don't point to Europe. They are why we became us. Liking to them for guidance is why we have already fallen apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 10:32 AM
 
280 posts, read 186,738 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Don't point to Europe. They are why we became us. Liking to them for guidance is why we have already fallen apart.
I agree but over the last 50 years we have become more and more like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,131 posts, read 13,643,867 times
Reputation: 22168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
While I am not against "rounding them up". Simply making it that you don't get ANY social services unless you are a citizen (welfare, housing, healthcare, education) would quickly have many of these people leave on their own.
Illegal immigrants do not get welfare or housing. Their children, if born in the US are eligible for food stamps and in some cases cash aid, but their eligibility does not entitle the parents to those benefits. Children not born in the US are not eligible for food stamps and are only entitled to emergency medical care. All children can attend public school because it's a heck of a lot better to have kids in school than on the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 10:46 AM
 
Location: louisville
4,754 posts, read 2,016,541 times
Reputation: 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Illegal immigrants do not get welfare or housing. Their children, if born in the US are eligible for food stamps and in some cases cash aid, but their eligibility does not entitle the parents to those benefits. Children not born in the US are not eligible for food stamps and are only entitled to emergency medical care. All children can attend public school because it's a heck of a lot better to have kids in school than on the streets.
Incorrect. Employer identification is an accepted identifier for an 824 transaction... That's enrollment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 10:48 AM
 
Location: louisville
4,754 posts, read 2,016,541 times
Reputation: 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
I agree but over the last 50 years we have become more and more like them.
Unfortunately, yes. And now they are lurching to what we define as our 'worst'.

Washington told us not to entangle. We should also not look for betterment outside, but within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,131 posts, read 13,643,867 times
Reputation: 22168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Incorrect. Employer identification is an accepted identifier for an 824 transaction... That's enrollment
an employer ID number is NOT the same as proof of citizenship which is required, and has been in California since 2006. Citizenship Proof Required for Medicaid Eligibility Beginning on July 1st

If you don't believe me then look online for the list of documents required for the receipt of benefits in California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:38 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top