Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 08:39 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Really, it's more like SUPPLY and demand. There isn't enough supply.
Cute, since you nicely sum up the dynamic of SUPPLY and DEMAND, but when DEMAND exceeds SUPPLY, the cost goes up. When SUPPLY exceeds DEMAND, costs go down, at least generally speaking anyway...

Not really sure your point, but given how much land (SUPPLY) there is in California, for example, as compared to most other states, it's hard to suggest the problem and/or high cost of real estate in California as compared to most other states is a function of short supply, although it is true that land closer to the ocean and job centers is less available than land further away from the ocean and job centers. Is this your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 08:42 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
THIS is what you responded to,

Nothing in there about unaccompanied immigrant children being held in shelters, was there?
Look again...
Quote:
Illegal immigrants do not get welfare or housing. Their children, if born in the US are eligible for food stamps and in some cases cash aid, but their eligibility does not entitle the parents to those benefits. Children not born in the US are not eligible for food stamps and are only entitled to emergency medical care. All children can attend public school because it's a heck of a lot better to have kids in school than on the streets.
Totally false. Illegal alien children get food, housing, etc., all funded by US taxpayers.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
California is a state with 2 things going for it. Thousands of miles of coastline, and predominately good weather. All of which draws a lot of people and businesses. It SHOULD be one of, if not the, most successful, prosperous and desirable places in the country. In spite of this, the state's politics and economic foolishness has made it one of the most indebted, over regulated, most restrictive state on personal freedom in the country. Liberals managed turn even this amazing area into a crap hole.
Beginning with the notion that California is primarily a function of just "2 things going for it," you stumble with your first step, but I will admit those are two awfully attractive and/or advantageous factors. Can't help it if we're lucky...

How can it make much sense, then, to regulate and restrict all the business interests that would build, develop and pollute those many miles of coastline in California not already exploited to the fullest?

"Crap hole" you say?

I suppose with a perspective like yours, all these companies and people paying top dollar for just about everything in California, from wages to gasoline to real estate, we must really prefer crap over all the political and economic brilliance so well exemplified and enjoyed in all the red states, right?

But hey..., what does that sort of envy do for anyone?

Funny story, as my father-in-law was visiting from Utah and we were driving north along the coast through open country, he said, "So beautiful, I don't understand how there aren't housing developments along this stretch."

Old 06-05-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You obviously don't live here or living in a glass house if you do.

The bottom 75% of Cali citizens are being hammered, and have no part in the prosperity which is mostly in Silicon Valley.

You should visit areas of the San Joaquin Valley where the northern CA politics running this state are turning the bread basket into desert.

YOU have no clue what is happening in my state if you think it's great.

EXACTLY RIGHT!

LearnMe will be happy when all the housing in urban areas becomes section 8, and fails to see that the people coming in are looking for the weather and/or the welfare. More than 5m people have left in the last decade, and welfare rolls have doubled. Do the math. Another decade of this and there will be as many taking as making.
Apparently you haven't bothered to read my prior comments, and that's fair, but accordingly, I'm not going to bother repeating myself, since that would not be fair on me or the others.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Well my friend you can enjoy Jewel Lake and leave the fretting about California to people who actually live here, ok?

California's economy expected to outpace that of U.S. this year

California Really Doesn't Need to Worry About Losing Jobs to Texas

Analyst predicts strong economy, more California budget surpluses

For many of us, California is not just a great place to live, it's the only place where we want to live.
Not possible! According to more than a few it seems, if you feel the way you do, you must not actually live in California.

Same sort of rationale I thought to highlight with the first two comments of this thread. Don't want to believe something, then simply don't, facts and truths of these matters be damned...

Old 06-05-2016, 09:01 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Highest income , gas and sales tax in the nation, car registration is real high too. Billions in unfunded pension liability. Constant stupid new laws that take away your freedom, cost you money, and aggravate you.
Gas tax - high, but not the highest

Sales tax, not even close to being the highest

Vehicle registration fees - clearly not the highest

State income tax- a little more complicated, but California has one of the least regressive state tax systems, taxing lower income levels the least and the top 1% far more.

Pension funding, yes in terms of dollars there is a large unfunded liability but California has a huge pension fund and in terms of percent funded, it's quite sound.

Constant laws taking away your freedom? Name one.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I don't think anyone has said that the california is in dire straits or that it is collapsing, maybe you can point us to those very post in this thread.
Please see comment #84 and those immediately following and get back to us...

Old 06-05-2016, 09:11 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Gas tax - high, but not the highest

Sales tax, not even close to being the highest

Vehicle registration fees - clearly not the highest

State income tax- a little more complicated, but California has one of the least regressive state tax systems, taxing lower income levels the least and the top 1% far more.

Pension funding, yes in terms of dollars there is a large unfunded liability but California has a huge pension fund and in terms of percent funded, it's quite sound.

Constant laws taking away your freedom? Name one.
How about those 5 new gun laws. Would they be allowed to pass if they were the same restrictions on your 1A rights or illegal immigrants ability to get free stuff? Nope.

Cali is a craphole. It has 3 major things that help.

1 Agricultural base which is degrading in Socal due to environazis.
2 Silicone valley but much like we are seeing companies move away from NYC for Wall Street we will see a net migration away from Silicone Valley.
3 Ports and shipping for goods from Asia.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
If you care to refute the information in the article, that's fine, but isn't it kind of lame to simply attack the source?

Here's another article that might interest you:

Brown speaks the truth about California's job growth | PolitiFact California
And if I may also ask, if "Wikepedia" -- Wikipedia -- is not a generally good source for information, what source is better as a rule? I'd like to know...

Not perfect of course, but if Google ranking is a consideration and/or the traffic there, seems Wikipedia is as good a source of general information as any, but for those who think otherwise, I'm just curious what better?

Fox News?

Last edited by LearnMe; 06-05-2016 at 09:31 AM..

Old 06-05-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm calling BS on that. How are all those illegal kids who crossed the border getting fed, housed, etc.? Who's paying for that?

Unaccompanied children crossing southern border in greater numbers - December 16, 2015 - Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...igrant-crisis/
Reasonable question, but based on all your prior calls of BS, you'd call BS on the rising Sun, and my first inclination is to think the BS must be true. That said...

No question the issue of illegal immigration is a significant one, and I won't repeat my comments about that either. Nothing really sticks in these threads anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies