Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 10:07 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Anyone can post almost anything they want on Wiki. Doesn't have to be true. I looked up my hometown on Wiki once and there was much erroneous information.
Perfect..., always the same sort of response, and as usual, nothing in response to the request for a quick source of information better than Wikipedia, generally speaking. That's the question.

I know how Wikipedia works, and of course nothing is perfect, but I have always found Wikipedia extremely good at providing an awful lot of information, nicely organized, mostly true and accurate and/or easy enough to verify what facts and information might be questionable, right? Or what better?

Just amazing how often people will dismiss the likes because of not perfect.

Do you throw away an entire plant, because one leaf has been eaten by a bug? Do you trade in your car upon the first scratch? Stop reading a book because you come across a typo? Not vote for government representatives because they sometimes provide "erroneous information," also not prefect...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Mexifornia... sanctuary cities... regulationutopia... criminals on the street..open door policy...social welfare counties... untold unfunded liabilities...real taxation approaching fifty percent... and one half pays for the other..trains to nowhere... cost overruns no swest

Sounds great
Do you by chance work for the California State Visitors Bureau?

Old 06-06-2016, 10:20 AM

You would think after reading some of the comments in this thread, California would rank dead last in the country by most measures, and California is one of the bluest of blue states, yet...

Rank #11. California

The nation's largest state is home to 10% of the Fortune 1000, with 101 companies on the list having their headquarters in California. These include Silicon Valley giants like Apple, HP, Google, Intel, and Oracle, Disney, and Wells Fargo.

While California's 2014 GDP growth of 2.8% was the ninth highest among the states and the house price increase of 7.5% was the fifth highest, the June unemployment rate of 6.3% was the ninth highest, hurting California's overall score.

State Economy Ranking July 2015 - Business Insider

And this doesn't even really evaluate other life-quality factors, but if you are in one of the 10 states that ranked better, then of course you must be in one of the red states, obviously...

Old 06-06-2016, 10:49 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You would think after reading some of the comments in this thread, California would rank dead last in the country by most measures, and California is one of the bluest of blue states, yet...

Rank #11. California

The nation's largest state is home to 10% of the Fortune 1000, with 101 companies on the list having their headquarters in California. These include Silicon Valley giants like Apple, HP, Google, Intel, and Oracle, Disney, and Wells Fargo.

While California's 2014 GDP growth of 2.8% was the ninth highest among the states and the house price increase of 7.5% was the fifth highest, the June unemployment rate of 6.3% was the ninth highest, hurting California's overall score.

State Economy Ranking July 2015 - Business Insider

And this doesn't even really evaluate other life-quality factors, but if you are in one of the 10 states that ranked better, then of course you must be in one of the red states, obviously...
"Originally Posted by LearnMe"

I will say, you DO need a LOT of learning!

"Rank #11. California

"The nation's largest state" is home to 10% of the Fortune 1000, with 101 companies on the list having their headquarters in California. These include Silicon Valley giants like Apple, HP, Google, Intel, and Oracle, Disney, and Wells Fargo.

Maybe you haven't heard of a little place called Texas. Or how about Alaska?

And you probably wonder why many on her DON'T take you serious!

Old 06-06-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Originally Posted by LearnMe"

I will say, you DO need a LOT of learning!

"Rank #11. California

"The nation's largest state" is home to 10% of the Fortune 1000, with 101 companies on the list having their headquarters in California. These include Silicon Valley giants like Apple, HP, Google, Intel, and Oracle, Disney, and Wells Fargo.

Maybe you haven't heard of a little place called Texas. Or how about Alaska?

And you probably wonder why many on her DON'T take you serious!
Before you get off your high horse there pardner...

I'm fairly certain that what they mean by "largest" is size of economy, since the ranking is about state economies. You can't learn if you don't read!

Also, I don't wonder why "many on her [this forum] don't take me seriously," though I'm not sure what you mean by "many," but thanks for the hoot! I know very well why people like you think like you do!

I am curious to know, however, where are these places you refer to, like "Texas" or "Alaska?"

No, never heard of the likes. You must be very proud of all you seem to know about such things, leading chin first as usual. Quick enough, for certain, THEN think, right?

Old 06-06-2016, 11:14 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Calif. has the more poverty than any other state.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:07 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Calif. has the more poverty than any other state.
You didn't support that statement with any reference so it's just an opinion right ? BTW, the state is doing pretty good.
http://www.capradio.org/articles/2015/11/10/california-budget-surplus-nears-$1-billion

Old 06-08-2016, 11:08 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
I mean...

I am just curious how conservatives who rail against all things Democrat, from stifling economic activity to stifling our very way of life, our freedoms, our hopes and dreams, just how do they reconcile the fact that California continues to do fairly well as compared to most states in most ways
You mean aside from being the poorest state in the country and losing 100k+ net people to other states every year?

If it's doing so well, why has there been such a mass exodus of people voting with their feet and leaving the state for the past 25 years?

California Poverty Rate

Census Bureau: California still has highest U.S. poverty rate | The Sacramento Bee

California: "Land of Poverty" | Newgeography.com

If the state weren't so heavily subsidized by the entire world through Silicon Valley, and by the super rich who live there for the weather and natural beauty, then it would really be a catastrophe. The stock market will crash again, and when it does, there goes California's finances.

Last edited by EugeneOnegin; 06-08-2016 at 11:17 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 11:54 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Doesn't surprise me someone might come along and compare Venezuela with California, again just about anything to associate California and/or Democratic leadership with the likes of Hugo Chavez and a place that can hardly keep its courts operating, supermarkets open, water and electricity supplies rationed...

Aside from such a ridiculous comparison and/or association, also in terms of economies, Venezuela's on the order of $440 billion, California's more like $2 trillion, I'm curious when it was you were reading "how successful Venezuela was not long ago." No link to that reading, but more what I remember is decades of political coups, and guerilla movements going back to the 1960s, buoyed only perhaps by way of it's one export, oil, the price for which has recently collapsed.

Okay, but in your mind California is like Venezuela now or "not long ago." Thanks for more evidence of those conservative notions and/or feeble attempts at negative propaganda I'm talking about!

Not sure what you're drinking, but the water's fine here...
Enjoy your 5 hour commute and your piped in water.

California is nothing but a huge bubble ready to burst.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
You mean aside from being the poorest state in the country and losing 100k+ net people to other states every year?

If it's doing so well, why has there been such a mass exodus of people voting with their feet and leaving the state for the past 25 years?

California Poverty Rate

Census Bureau: California still has highest U.S. poverty rate | The Sacramento Bee

California: "Land of Poverty" | Newgeography.com

If the state weren't so heavily subsidized by the entire world through Silicon Valley, and by the super rich who live there for the weather and natural beauty, then it would really be a catastrophe. The stock market will crash again, and when it does, there goes California's finances.
Right, and Disneyland is there because of Hollywood, and Hollywood is there because of the oil, and the oil is there because of industry, and industry is there thanks to tourism that all subsidizes Silicon Valley that put California on the map when? And yes, the rich there because of the weather and natural beauty, all of which would be a little different if all the elements weren't there such as they are, true. But the weather and beauty along with all the rest is there...

Ridiculous to negate all these obvious facts like someone owning a VW bug complaining a Maserati costs too much because it is rare, looks great, goes fast and handles well.

Of course there is the "good, bad and ugly" just like anywhere else, but just a little more good and less ugly than a lot of other places. As for the bad, seems you didn't read through the entire thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies