Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 01:35 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garchompa View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_d..._United_States

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-or-bisexual/

So supposedly the LGBT community as a whole is very miniscule yet at least on the web and in the news you can't go anywhere without hearing how the vast, VAST majority of people should inconvenience and go far out of their way and completely change/dismantle the way things have been for such a paltry number of people (relatively speaking). Why should the whole of society be forced to change for such an incredibly miniscule amount of people?
Because in the vision of a society where people have certain inalienable rights, it shouldn't just be the majority that gets to terrorize and abuse the minority on certain things that have to do with basic tolerance, respect, and personal dignity.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:38 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_d..._United_States

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-or-bisexual/

So supposedly the LGBT community as a whole is very miniscule yet at least on the web and in the news you can't go anywhere without hearing how the vast, VAST majority of people should inconvenience and go far out of their way and completely change/dismantle the way things have been for such a paltry number of people (relatively speaking). Why should the whole of society be forced to change for such an incredibly miniscule amount of people?
Because this amount of people used to be (and still are) the victims of ridicule, abuse, beatings, murders, job firings, arson, and discrimination by the majority, simply for being a member of this "miniscule group of people." Sorry you feel inconvenienced by people talking about it, you must be a very sensitive, angry, or emotionally volatile person to be inconvenienced.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:47 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
I don't feel I have done anything to accommodate LTBTQ persons in our society.

I think that all people, no matter their sexual orientation or gender identity are American citizens and should be protected by our laws and should have the same rights as all other persons in our country.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:04 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,008 times
I remember a time before all of this where people could actually read a comment, apply critical thinking, and have a discussion. Now, everything is perceived as "vague" unless there is a stats sheet before them. Either that or they are deliberate in acting ignorant and proceed to demean the other person. However which way, it's not a good look.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:16 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Define "change" and "accommodate".
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I don't feel I have done anything to accommodate LTBTQ persons in our society.

I think that all people, no matter their sexual orientation or gender identity are American citizens and should be protected by our laws and should have the same rights as all other persons in our country.
You would not consider a student body doing away with prom queen/king but instead introducing king/king as change or accommodating? I find this quite unfair to both the young boys and girls.

Step out of your immediate space and look around you. You are not the only ones in this world. There are millions of people that think differently than you.

Ever watch those comedy shows when the comedian takes a big ole red snapper fish off the plate and smacks the other person across the face with it? You get the picture.

Gender policy leaves school with two prom kings.

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/gen...360c2bb65.html

Old 06-02-2016, 02:26 PM

903 posts, read 582,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

And women should be protected from male perverts that will take advantage of the Transgender laws that Obama and many on the liberal left would see enacted.

Less then 1% of the population is Transgender but now you want to put 50% of the population in danger. Sure that makes sense.

There are already laws in place that protect the LGBTs from violence. Those laws apply to everyone. There don't need to be special laws in place.

Frankly, if you decide that you are not what nature intended you to be, than life will be (or should be) a little inconvenient until you remedy the situation (which should be your bill to pay, btw).

I don't have 20/20 vision. Should all signs be printed so that I can read them or should I be provided free glasses for the rest of my life.

I can't run a 9.5 second 100M dash. Should other runners be handicapped so that they are not faster than me or should I be given jetpacks or something.

Our right is a right to life, a right to liberty, and the pursuit of (but not the guarantee of) happiness. Liberty does not mean everyone else must bow to my demands. Liberty does not mean we all have equal land or equal $, but we all can work to change our circumstances for the better. Liberty means we don't live under an oppressive gov't and have access to courts for grievances.

Liberty does not mean that today I am a man, but feel like a woman, so I'm going to go walk into a woman's restroom. Sorry, that just isn't reasonable..

Old 06-02-2016, 02:28 PM

72,976 posts, read 62,554,457 times
In one word: Money. Politicians will go to whoever has the monetary contributions. This is why the President will do more for the LGBT community than for Blacks. Actually, this is basically how every group works. $$$

Old 06-02-2016, 03:27 PM

204 posts, read 145,373 times
Quote:
Why should the whole of society be forced to change for such an incredibly miniscule amount of people?
One opinion is that the huge majority of society had such an overwhelming negative view of an incredibly miniscule amount of people and would overwhelmingly act on that negative view as a society, against this incredibly miniscule amount of people, and acted on it for so long, and so hurtfully, and so carelessly, that the effects of this ugly momentum (Matthew Shepard's death, as one instance of many) could no longer be unseen and eventually got noticed by some of the folks who were in the majority and who added their voices to the minority, increasing the exposure of the ugly momentum, with help from the internet and the media, and the incredibly miniscule amount of people who didn't like the negative actions of the majority grew and grew into a larger minority, more effectively reflecting back onto society the negative actions which previously went unaddressed by silent conspiracy of the majority, holding a mirror to this majority, until political action came into play to assist the minority, now joined by an increasing volume of the social majority, into recognizing where justice was absent and where it needed to be present.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:50 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Step out of your immediate space and look around you. You are not the only ones in this world.
What excellent advice.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:55 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is why the President will do more for the LGBT community than for Blacks.
Funny you should mention that. See, we used to ban Blacks, Jews, Asians etc. from swimming pools, locker rooms etc. And it worked fine! Then, all of a sudden, a bunch of SJWs got busy and - to borrow the OP's phrase - a "vast, VAST majority of people should inconvenience and go far out of their way and completely change/dismantle the way things have been".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies