Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:37 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
1. Powerful and continuing expressions of nationalism

bush, check

2. Disdain for the importance of human rights

kind of
3. Identification of enemies/scapegoats as a unifying cause
bush, check

4. The supremacy of the military/avid militarism
bush, check

5. Rampant sexism
no

6. A controlled mass media
bush, check
7. Obsession with national security
buh, check
8. Religion and ruling elite tied together
bush talks with god and god helps bush in office, check
9. Power of corporations protected
bush, check

10. Power of labor suppressed or eliminated
bush, check
11. Disdain and suppression of intellectuals and the arts
no
12. Obsession with crime and punishment
bush, check
13. Rampant cronyism and corruption
bush, check
14. Fraudulent elections
bush, check

Any President who vetoes children's healthcare is a fascist in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 10:38 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Do you watch Olberman much because I have watched him from time to time and I am not shocked AT ALL that he called Bush a facist.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:47 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Do you watch Olberman much because I have watched him from time to time and I am not shocked AT ALL that he called Bush a facist.

I'm not shocked either, I've recognized the bushy's as fascists for several years.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Veto of the health care is not the act of a fascist but the act of a cad and a fool. I was pleased because we Democrats can point to this act of sheer callousness and paint McCain with the same brush and bury the Republicans across the board next November. I don’t want Democrats to win by a little but by a lot. Then we can enact real reforms and the irrational policies of the current administration will become irrelevant.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:55 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I'm not shocked either, I've recognized the bushy's as fascists for several years.
I was trying to NOT overtly offend the fundies but I have to agree, I have yet to see Olberman say anything I felt was wrong about him. He has said things that have made me go and research to understand MORE about what happened.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:55 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,980 times
To call Bush or our country Fascist would be an inuslt to those who died and were tortured by the likes of Hitler, Mussilini, and Franco. While Bush has certain fascist characteristics, keep it in perspective. In a fascist nation this website wouldn't exist. Keith Olberman would be in a death camp, not in your homes every night at 9 /8 central. Sorry to **** on your parades.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:07 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
1. Powerful and continuing expressions of nationalism

bush, check

2. Disdain for the importance of human rights

kind of
3. Identification of enemies/scapegoats as a unifying cause
bush, check

4. The supremacy of the military/avid militarism
bush, check

5. Rampant sexism
no

6. A controlled mass media
bush, check
7. Obsession with national security
buh, check
8. Religion and ruling elite tied together
bush talks with god and god helps bush in office, check
9. Power of corporations protected
bush, check

10. Power of labor suppressed or eliminated
bush, check
11. Disdain and suppression of intellectuals and the arts
no
12. Obsession with crime and punishment
bush, check
13. Rampant cronyism and corruption
bush, check
14. Fraudulent elections
bush, check
Give me a break. What a joke.
Still trying to figure out why people put so much stock into keith olbermann the former espn guy. NBC is so anti GOP, and he's jsut giving people want they want whether it's true or not. GOP bashing.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:43 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Give me a break. What a joke.
Still trying to figure out why people put so much stock into keith olbermann the former espn guy. NBC is so anti GOP, and he's jsut giving people want they want whether it's true or not. GOP bashing.
And Fox is ....???? Please, don't get your boxers in a bunch when there is an antidote to Fox's agenda.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:51 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
And Fox is ....???? Please, don't get your boxers in a bunch when there is an antidote to Fox's agenda.
It is undeniable that there is a right-wing slant to FOX, as there is a left-wing slant to NBC. But the point is, if Olberman is free to say what he wants about Bush without any negative reprocussions, then it is an oxymoron to say that the US is fascist. Some people want left-wing slant and they watch NBC, some don't, they watch FOX. Regardless of which talking heads you choose to put stock in, they all have their own agenda to push, and you should take whatever any of them say with a grain of salt.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:51 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
To call Bush or our country Fascist would be an inuslt to those who died and were tortured by the likes of Hitler, Mussilini, and Franco. While Bush has certain fascist characteristics, keep it in perspective. In a fascist nation this website wouldn't exist. Keith Olberman would be in a death camp, not in your homes every night at 9 /8 central. Sorry to **** on your parades.

"""""What no one seemed to notice. . . was the ever widening gap. . .between the government and the people. . . And it became always wider. . . the whole process of its coming into being, was above all diverting, it provided an excuse not to think for people who did not want to think anyway . . . (it) gave us some dreadful, fundamental things to think about . . .and kept us so busy with continuous changes and 'crises' and so fascinated . . . by the machinations of the 'national enemies,' without and within, that we had no time to think about these dreadful things that were growing, little by little, all around us. . .
Each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained or, on occasion, 'regretted,' that unless one understood what the whole thing was in principle, what all these 'little measures'. . . must some day lead to, one no more saw it developing from day to day than a farmer in his field sees the corn growing. . . .Each act. . . is worse than the last, but only a little worse. You wait for the next and the next. You wait for one great shocking occasion, thinking that others, when such a shock comes, will join you in resisting somehow.
You don't want to act, or even talk, alone. . . you don't want to 'go out of your way to make trouble.' . . .But the one great shocking occasion, when tens or hundreds or thousands will join with you, never comes. That's the difficulty. The forms are all there, all untouched, all reassuring, the houses, the shops, the jobs, the mealtimes, the visits, the concerts, the cinema, the holidays. But the spirit, which you never noticed because you made the lifelong mistake of identifying it with the forms, is changed. Now you live in a world of hate and fear, and the people who hate and fear do not even know it themselves, when everyone is transformed, no one is transformed. . . .You have accepted things you would not have accepted five years ago, a year ago, things your father. . . could never have imagined." :
From Milton Mayer, They Thought They Were Free, The Germans, 1938-45 (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1955)"""

It doesn't come in one big obvious black cloud...it comes in tiny increments.......denying it, ignoring it, laughing at it... is allowing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies