Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2016, 01:34 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Did you know that in some jurisdictions, if a landlord has a property for rent that s/he can NOT turn away Section 8 tenants? In those cases, I don't see what good the bolded part would do.
It is true that in some jurisdictions, landlords cannot turn section 8 tenants away simply because they are on section 8. They are not, however, required to accept them simply because they are on section 8 either. They can still require prospective tenants to meet credit, background, and rental history requirements.
Did you know that many Section 8 tenants are disabled and/or elderly? Would you want those people turned away just because they are section 8 tenants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 02:32 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
It is true that in some jurisdictions, landlords cannot turn section 8 tenants away simply because they are on section 8. They are not, however, required to accept them simply because they are on section 8 either. They can still require prospective tenants to meet credit, background, and rental history requirements.
Did you know that many Section 8 tenants are disabled and/or elderly? Would you want those people turned away just because they are section 8 tenants?
Well, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if there are those who would soon throw the elderly/disabled under the bus. I think the attitude is that of "punish the innocent in order to get the guilty". Some people would rather see a disabled or elderly person turned away in order to keep chances of thugs coming in to a minimum. I'm not arguing whether this is right or wrong. I'm just painting a scenario of how some people might view the situation.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
I've got news for you --- Where I live, the suburban rents are out of control, too. The only cheap housing (that's not Section 8) is in older, run down apartment complexes or illegal apartments in an illegally subdivided house.
Wow. What area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
I wouldn't say suburbs have poor schools, but I agree that inner city schools get a bad rap. Of my four kids, two are in high school - one in an inner city "failing" school; one in the suburban school. Guess which one I will miss dearly and wish I could have all of them at. You are correct if you said the inner city one.
It's only common sense. Suburban kids have little to no school choice. Urban kids in large cities have less problems with choice. There are a boatload of specialized schools in major cities that kids can attend as long as they can get there....and they're FREE! And big cities have less issues with transportation.

And you misread what I said about suburban and rural schools. No...they aren't all bad. Many are excellent.

But just as any are no more than decent at best. I live in an affluent semi rural school district, and our schools are decent...maybe even good. But it's overcrowded (we had to close a few schools due to dilapidated old buildings) and since this is a retirement haven, it's very difficult to raise taxes to fund new school construction.

In Tucson, choices are far better.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:59 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
We lived in a neighborhood in Charlotte, NC, during the Carter years. I don't know about what number it was but I think it was called the 235 plan. People who had large families were moved into five bedroom split levels and had to pay according to their income where the rest of the residents were paying full price loans. Smart people started moving immediately but we were wanting the plan to work because we wanted to help out these poor people. Big Mistake and it cost us about $9,000 at that time.

The neighborhood changed from a middle class neighborhood to goodness knows what. We finally put our house up for sale and it took 14 months to sell it and we had to move into an apartment while we looked for a house after it sold because we couldn't afford two house payments at the same time.

By the time we were out of there, my daughter got beat up by the three black "friends" up the street and the mother did nothing to stop it. We had something written on our front door and my husband has never told me what it was. He discovered a peeping Tom when he went out for the paper one morning. And someone tried to knock our door in when my husband was working one night. Just about every house in the neighborhood had been robbed and we came home one day and found our back door had been opened but never could find anything missing except a Mother's pin that wasn't worth much but looked like it did. There had been seven murders within one mile of where we lived in a year.

Now that neighborhood is on the news for murders and drugs among other things.

We moved here 40 something years ago and only go into Charlotte when business or something else requires it.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:34 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Did you know that in some jurisdictions, if a landlord has a property for rent that s/he can NOT turn away Section 8 tenants? In those cases, I don't see what good the bolded part would do.
Quote:
Exactly! MoCo is one of those jurisdictions where landlords are forced to take Section 8 tenants if one wants to rent their place.

We live in the next state over and had to rent out our house. The property manager asked if we wanted to rent to Section 8 tenants. We said "no" and she had us sign a paper stating this. She also told us that if we lived in MoCo, we wouldn't have had that choice.

As for Howard County---that's where that High School is, Wild Lake, that people don't want their kids going to. It isn't just white people who don't want their kids in Wild Lake---plenty of middle class Black people don't want their kids going there either.
I have some experience in that county. They do not state that landlords must accept HCV they state that landlords cannot discriminate against the source of income of tenants/applicants.

However, that only applies to apartment complexes that have passed HQS inspections and not to privately managed properties. Management companies/apartment complexes have to pass an inspection to be eligible for HAP payments to landlords. If they are not, then the applicant/tenant cannot live in those places.

What the property manager told you is incorrect in regards to Montgomery. There are actually codes, rules and laws that govern fair housing at the local, state, and federal level and most people are not aware of those rules/regs even at management companies. I worked for a management company and trained people in various locales on these rules/regs and I still don't know all of them, but I do know that a property has to be accepted into the program. I also know that in that county in particular there were issues where apartment complexes managed by companies, properties that were HCV approved, were turning away voucher holders or tried to place additional restrictions on them. It was an issue because those places were HCV certified properties, yet they turned away HCV residents in what was found to be a discriminatory manner based on "source of income."

Old 06-06-2016, 07:43 AM

643 posts, read 471,288 times
I don't know if its legal to not rent to S8 people so I offer them an application and then throw it in the trash. These are scum people and there is about an 85 percent chance they will destroy your property. SEE Pruitt Igoe.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:13 AM

1,100 posts, read 633,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Obama's newest social project is to expand Section 8 out to the suburbs and exurbs with the idea being that doing so will improve the outcomes of the program participants. What is not clear to me is how this improvement will supposedly happen. Is success and achievement something that is in the water? Or perhaps success is similar to a communicable disease in that it can be transmitted through the air or bodily fluids? Maybe we will soon be forced to have sex with Section 8 recipients so that the successful genes can be injected into the Section 8 gene pool.

We all know that this program is Obama's way of punishing white flight. I just think it is amusing how there is absolutely no logical explanation as to how this would improve anything. Apparently being around white people will improve through osmosis or magic.

1) It breaks the original cycle of segregation, which the government purposely did ages ago...which is why most urban areas are divided in such a manner. Maybe the purpose of this project is to take integration to a new level and improve community relationships across all demographics.

2) Maybe it'll force suburbanites to relocate to the more expensive properties within the city (after they tear down the projects and rebuild with modern homes).

3) Or maybe it'll just incite more hate and bigotry.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
1) It breaks the original cycle of segregation, which the government purposely did ages ago...which is why most urban areas are divided in such a manner. Maybe the purpose of this project is to take integration to a new level and improve community relationships across all demographics.

2) Maybe it'll force suburbanites to relocate to the more expensive properties within the city (after they tear down the projects and rebuild with modern homes).

3) Or maybe it'll just incite more hate and bigotry.
This is just how I see it. I suspect there are many who want to keep segregation. I'm convinced it doesn't matter who is in office, there will be some kind of hate, racial tension,etc.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
I don't know if its legal to not rent to S8 people so I offer them an application and then throw it in the trash. These are scum people and there is about an 85 percent chance they will destroy your property. SEE Pruitt Igoe.
You can turn someone down for being on section 8. Pruitt Igoe is an example of ghettoization, in a condensed form. S8 had nothing to do with that.

I could bring up another part of this, but I am going to be honest about this part. It will only bring out the stormfronters, and it will be discussed only as a justification to do some racially motivated venting.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:16 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
http://cis.org/sites/cis.org/files/c...fare-final.pdf

The politics and demographics of food stamp recipients | Pew Research Center

Characteristics and Financial Circumstances of TANF Recipients, Fiscal Year 2010 | Office of Family Assistance | Administration for Children and Families

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...mo/p70-141.pdf

There. That covers food, housing, whatever TANF is, and medical - covers all races, covers all states, several sources in case someone wants to say "that one's bias!!"

There you have it. Read them all. Those are the stats. Those are the facts, not what people think are the facts because of what they have seen or have heard or their favorite news channel or rag told them were "facts" despite the fact that some of them (cough Huffington Post cough) will link to the information and still completely lie about the information they are linking to (or use only one state and pretend that represents all of America...again cough Huffington Post cough).

Now we can all be on the same page. We can stop acting like all of those who get hand outs are lazy stupid useless scum who should be drawn and quartered and left as scraps for the hyenas, and we can stop pretending that every single person who gets a hand out is a poor, down trodden soul who has tried so! hard! SO VERY HARD! and has not abused the system at. all! EVER! And just needs a helping hand....for 3 years...why are you so hateful?

NONE of you are right. There are those who abuse the system, and there are those who fell on hard times and legit just need a breather for a few months...they'll be back at it if you don't kick them while they're down.

There's people who live WAY beyond their means and go flat broke because they are IDIOTS with money and yes, it is their own damn fault that they have nothing left - and handing them things doesn't teach them anything - and there's those who have never had a support system behind them so that when they fall, because we are all humans, we all fall, there's no one there to catch them - they still need help, they aren't bad people, they'll be back at it.

There's people who lie through their teeth to get every last thing that they can, stealing from those who genuinely deserve it, and there's those who can get more but will only take the minimum...they just need a little help, that's all.

There's people who sell their food on food stamps for things they should not, and there's people who find the most frugal way to eat so as to make that amount last the entire month - which means they are learning to budget...because they have no choice but to do so.

There's people who will live on it as long as they can - until they get kicked the hell off of it, GOD get OFF already! And there's people who are off of it before it really got started - they just needed a little help.

Liberals: It is not that Republicans don't care, it's that they get pissed when people abuse the system. That's what they are saying in their anger that you dismiss as, "Republicans hate the poor!" Some do, but not many. The ones that do, F them anyway. Most don't hate the poor, they just hate feeling like they are being taken advantage of.

Republicans: Not everyone who gets assistance is a drug addict, alcoholic, uneducated, stupid twit who sprouts out multiple children and lives a life of luxury on your dime. Yes, some are, and yes, the liberals make excuses for them which is infuriating because the liberals pretend those types don't exist when we all know they most certainly do, but not all people who get help take advantage. They certainly are not living in the lap of luxury, BUT, there are DEFINITELY things that should have serious time limits (free phones, free or reduced housing, free food, free medical - and libs, do NOT lie, yes ONE person can get ALL of that at the same time), and frankly all of the programs should be run like cash assistance. You're going to wait, it is a loan, you will work for the government before you get one red dime of that loan. You won't get a lot, it will not be all at once, and you will only get it for a few months at a time. If you want more, you have to reapply, work again, earn it, then you can have it. That's how all of those programs should be run.

Today I was privy to a conversation between about 5-6 people - people that I'm familiar with, so no, not "strangers" that I eavesdropped on and know nothing about, who were all talking about the handouts they get. Every single one of these people has an income that is above average - and every single one of them makes more than the average person in the US, and how I know that is because they tell everyone what they made at the end of the day, every day, and have done so for years. These are people I know from freelance work - and they love to brag about how much they made that day - they make 3 times the amount that I do, and they all get food stamps and one gets housing and medical. So I'm a little pissed off about that - and with exception of one, yes, they do all smoke pot, and 2 of them take "speed" or whatever the hell it's called - mostly so that they can stay up and do more work - they brag about that, too. One of them drinks a LOT and is always talking about drinking, so these people are fitting right in to the stereotype.

However, I also know, because I've seen it when volunteering, that there's people out there who have really, really humbled themselves to ask for help, will only take the bare minimum despite how much more they could get, and get off of it as fast as they can. They aren't drug addicts, or alcohol abusers. They aren't anything but people who happened to hit some bad luck...which is completely and totally happening due to the IDIOT in the WH...so I know that there's both.

If you all would stop arguing the extremes and realize that yes, there are abusers and yes, there are legit poor that most don't want to turn their backs on (unfortunately have seen some who sound like they would walk right over a starving person), then maybe we could one day have a rational discussion about how to fix the problems.

We keep talking about benefits and money.

Why don't we ever talk about what got them there in the first place? Why is everyone afraid to talk about that? Too non PC? Tough crackers...it's high time that we did address those problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies