Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 01:36 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I worked for many years for housing authorities as a consultant and as an employee.

FYI, Housing Choice Voucher residents (HCV is now what they call Section 8) has been in suburban communities for 20+ years now. It is not a new thing that Obama started.

On the OP, it improves outcomes by de-concentrating poverty and crime. There have been studies done over the decades that have shown that those children especially who are HCV residents benefit from a better education and better social outcomes by not growing up in poverty stricken, urban communities.

De-concentrating poverty in this way has also caused crime to decrease in practically every major urban area since the mid to late 1990s.

It does work.

Except all of that is bull pucky, even if you're using all the right jargon. The results are the exact opposite of what you describe. Crime usually follows the section 8 folks out to the suburbs with them and the educational gains are not realized. The schools they move to become less safe and they end up dragging test scores down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 01:39 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
What kind of behavior do you think your kids are learning from you? Based on your posts, your kids are learning to look down their noses at people that have a different socioeconomic status and skin color. Young children will most likely grow out of throwing rocks, your children will most likely turn out to be elitist, racist scumbags their entire lives.

BTW, respect is earned and should be mutual. You have done nothing to earn the respect of these kids and you clearly have zero respect for them. I would say that this is a case of reaping what you sow.
Excuse me. How dare make accusations about my parenting when you have no idea how I parent or what I teach my children. How do I have no respect for these kids? I could have threw a fit, called CPS but I did not because after all they are just kids.
These kids are outside with us playing everyday, I give them water, apple juice, snacks, equal time driving the jeeps, equal time on the water slides, my husband plays baseball with them and teaches them how to pitch... What did I do that was so bad? Say that they may be envious and take it out on my kids?
I teach my children that everyone is treated the same.
Obviously, you have no problem labeling people. Maybe you are the racist???
You have no idea and frankly you are out of line.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:45 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Excuse me. How dare make accusations about my parenting when you have no idea how I parent or what I teach my children. How do I have no respect for these kids? I could have threw a fit, called CPS but I did not because after all they are just kids.
These kids are outside with us playing everyday, I give them water, apple juice, snacks, equal time driving the jeeps, equal time on the water slides, my husband plays baseball with them and teaches them how to pitch... What did I do that was so bad? Say that they may be envious and take it out on my kids?
I teach my children that everyone is treated the same.
Obviously, you have no problem labeling people. Maybe you are the racist???
You have no idea and frankly you are out of line.

LMAO, I can't believe you had the audacity to actually post this based on what you have been saying about these children and their parents. Parents that by your own admission you have never even met.

BTW, just in case you forgot - this is what you said about the parents that you don't know and have never met.

"I am sure speaking to the parent (if one could be found) would do no good as obviously they are learning this behavior from somewhere..."

Old 06-02-2016, 01:50 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Except all of that is bull pucky, even if you're using all the right jargon. The results are the exact opposite of what you describe. Crime usually follows the section 8 folks out to the suburbs with them and the educational gains are not realized. The schools they move to become less safe and they end up dragging test scores down.
Where are you getting your information from?

I have reviewed WAY too many studies and reports on this subject and know that what you are saying is incorrect.

There was one study done in Memphis that did show a correlation between a specific amount of HCV residents in lower to middle income neighborhoods that showed they have a negative affect on those areas due to their already precarious socio-economic condition. All other studies show that when HCV residents move to wealthier neighborhoods, suburban/exurban communities there is no negative effect and that in all instances the effect on the families themselves were better than those in public housing communities which concentrate poverty in inner cities.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
LMAO, I can't believe you had the audacity to actually post this based on what you have been saying about these children and their parents. Parents that by your own admission you have never even met.

BTW, just in case you forgot - this is what you said about the parents that you don't know and have never met.

"I am sure speaking to the parent (if one could be found) would do no good as obviously they are learning this behavior from somewhere..."
How is that so bad? When a young child is calling an adult "Whitey" they are getting it from somewhere. When they called my son "whitey" he asked me why and said "mom, I am not a whitey, I am cream colored"... and yes I have never met the parent(s).. one would think I should have since I and my neighbors are supervising them every night.. you would think they would want to come by and see who their kids are spending so much time with, what their kids are doing.. I WOULD. My posts do not reflect anything remotely racist or elitist. You obviously have a chip on your shoulder and want to make issues when there are none.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:56 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
How is that so bad? When a young child is calling an adult "Whitey" they are getting it from somewhere. When they called my son "whitey" he asked me why and said "mom, I am not a whitey, I am cream colored"... and yes I have never met the parent(s).. one would think I should have since I and my neighbors are supervising them every night.. you would think they would want to come by and see who their kids are spending so much time with, what their kids are doing.. I WOULD. My posts do not reflect anything remotely racist or elitist. You obviously have a chip on your shoulder and want to make issues when there are none.

This is your previous comment:

How dare make accusations about my parenting when you have no idea how I parent or what I teach my children.

Isn't that exactly what you are doing?

Old 06-02-2016, 01:59 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:

FWIW, even though this was harsh, I do kind of agree that the comments were judgmental regarding the parents of the children that you are having issues with lisa.

More often than not, black parents especially are VERY heavy handed on disciplining children, so much so that I (I am black BTW) usually won't even tell them the naughty things their kids did because I know they'll get a "whipping" about it or cursed out. So I engage with the kids myself and handle whatever issue I have with them.

I have worked a lot both professionally and via my volunteer time in inner city communities and with poor people of all types and nearly all of them were very strict with their kids and not lax and didn't want their kids misbehaving. The parents also were usually VERY hard working people and if you live in a nice neighborhood and they have a voucher, the mom is probably working 2 jobs to pay the portion of the rent that is not subsidized so very well may not be at home with the children at 8pm.

She may have moved in order to get her kids into a better school district. That is usually the primary reason why voucher holders leave inner city neighborhoods, either that or they have dealt with crime in their old neighborhoods and don't want to be around that anymore.

Children do naughty things and most of the stuff mentioned about the kids isn't all that bad IMO. They probably called you "whitey" just to get a rise out of you. Same as what my grandma calls PWT (poor white trash) residents kids have called me a "niglette" or a "black b****c" or "n*****r b****c."

I don't take the stuff that kids say to me seriously and I usually always try to engage their parents. Throwing the rock was dangerous though and I can see how you would be upset but screaming at kids is useless in that situation.

But I am pretty good with all kids and can get them to apologize and I make friends with them so I don't have any problems with any kids in any neighborhoods I have worked in or lived in. I have had issues with adults, but usually not kids.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:05 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
Everyone does know that section 8 is private, one has to apply to be able to offer. Landlords are just as 'at fault' as tenants because they can set maintenance standards.

Both sides are gaming the system.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
This is your previous comment:

How dare make accusations about my parenting when you have no idea how I parent or what I teach my children.

Isn't that exactly what you are doing?
Good try but no. If the parents were half way decent they would be supervising their children. 8 year olds should not be roaming neighborhoods at 10pm. I know they are absentee parents because I witness it everyday. You are making baseless accusations at me. And by the way, I do not have to earn respect from a child. I should have since until the whitey comments and rock throwing I had been nothing but welcoming to them but the fact is I am an adult. Kids should be raised to respect adults.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:15 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
They want to move the Section 8 out of the cities' neighborhoods,
then take in the third world immigrants and refugees into the cities.
Yes, they are making room for the 100+ million expected invasion.

If we don't elect Trump, the slide will accelerate.
Within 20-30 years America will have a population twice the
current size and half foreign-born.
I look at this and my first through is conspiracy theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies