Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:37 PM

39,216 posts, read 27,586,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
When I worked in China, the supposedly communist economy was one of the most capitalistic economies I've seen. So I guess if you mean why don't America become more capitalist while calling it communistic to create higher growth rate, then I agree.
This. I've stayed in China for 6 months. agree with the bold 100%

although I don't think china is doing well at all, poor are dirt poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 10:16 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,074 times
China isn't a communist state. It is an authoritarian capitalist state. Authoritarian capitalism isn't exactly foreign to Western countries. Some famous authoritarian capitalist great powers include Imperial Germany, Imperial Japan, Austria-Hungary, Imperial Russia, Fascist Italy, and Nazi Germany. They were completely wiped out in WWI and WWII with the fall of Austria-Hungary, Germany, Italy, Japan, and Russia. They are back though. The current authoritarian capitalist great powers are China and Russia.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:25 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,755,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Jayy View Post
Obviously, it would be stupid to run a society purely on the basis of Marxist ideology. Such an approach wouldn't work, as has been demonstrated by history. But the Chinese Communist Party has been successful in delivering thirty years of 10% GDP growth annualized. By all accounts, it has succeeded remarkably. They seem to have solved a lot of problems that our economy is currently facing. So why are Americans so closed-minded to a Communist political party in the US, even if it was run along the lines of the current Chinese one as opposed to the Maoist Chinese government or the Soviet government?

Isn't the rational perspective, given what we know about China and its recent history of remarkable economic growth, to create a party modeled after the Chinese Communist Party here in America that could, within the context of multi-party democracy, advocate for including some of their policies in our society?
This either a clever troll post, or it's clueless. Does anyone actually believe that China's recent success is due to its nominally communist style of government?

Old 06-03-2016, 12:42 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
This. I've stayed in China for 6 months. agree with the bold 100%

although I don't think china is doing well at all, poor are dirt poor.
Right but there were 1.2 billion poor when they were actually practicing communism....now only 600 million poor and there growth trajectory has been fantastic. The first time I went to China, everyone rode a bike for transport (not saying that was bad btw), the next time scooters, the last time they were in cars...rapid growth.

China has major problems to deal starting with reducing pollution and due to the 1 child policy, 1 worker will have to provide for 2 retirees when the age gap hits.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:46 AM

39,216 posts, read 27,586,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Right but there were 1.2 billion poor when they were actually practicing communism....now only 600 million poor and there growth trajectory has been fantastic. The first time I went to China, everyone rode a bike for transport (not saying that was bad btw), the next time scooters, the last time they were in cars...rapid growth.

China has major problems to deal starting with reducing pollution and due to the 1 child policy, 1 worker will have to provide for 2 retirees when the age gap hits.
True

would also like to add that they seem to struggle with corruption culture.

China rulers struggle with corruption culture - FT.com

Old 06-03-2016, 12:53 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well Mao killed somewhere between 40-80 million establishing his communist utopia so I'm not sure it's something to aspire to. On the other hand, I think many Americans would find that body county acceptible so long as they got their neighbors wealth in the process.
This is lie. Certainly some people died during the famine and the cultural revolution, but the most radical estimation (by anti-Mao activists) is 30 million.

China's population doubled under Mao's rule. So Deng Xiaoping had to implement the one child policy to control population in 1979.

I am not a fan of Mao, but I hate lies.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:00 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A true 2 class society. The worker bees and the wealthy ruling class. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
Not quite true. 30 years ago, everyone in China was poor. Now the poor live better than before (no starvation, at least), and there are the rich too.
My uncle in China owns mansions and factories. 25 years ago, he was just a policeman working for a prison. He quit his job and started a business, and became rich from very low ground.

Advanced education in China is affordable even for poor farmers. In top universities, you can see a lot of students from dirt poor families. They will find a good job after graduation, or even come to the US, either way with no debt.
How many poor students can you see in Harvard and Yale? The social mobility in the US is much more difficult than in China.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:17 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,433,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Jayy View Post
Obviously, it would be stupid to run a society purely on the basis of Marxist ideology. Such an approach wouldn't work, as has been demonstrated by history. But the Chinese Communist Party has been successful in delivering thirty years of 10% GDP growth annualized. By all accounts, it has succeeded remarkably. They seem to have solved a lot of problems that our economy is currently facing. So why are Americans so closed-minded to a Communist political party in the US, even if it was run along the lines of the current Chinese one as opposed to the Maoist Chinese government or the Soviet government?

Isn't the rational perspective, given what we know about China and its recent history of remarkable economic growth, to create a party modeled after the Chinese Communist Party here in America that could, within the context of multi-party democracy, advocate for including some of their policies in our society?
America probably had just as high growth rates -- if not higher -- during the industrial revolution.

China has been transforming from an agrarian to an industrial economy.

That's the reason for the growth.

Also very favorable trade deals with the U.S -- and currency manipulation by China -- have allowed China to take over large parts of U.S. manufacturing.

You ask, "Isn't the rational perspective....to create a party modeled after the Chinese Communist Party here in America that could, within the context of multi-party democracy, advocate for including some of their policies in our society?"

There is no policy of theirs that could be advocated other than debasing our own currency, in which case prices would skyrocket.

We need to lower the burden of taxes and regulation on business, stop punishing energy exploration and development in this country, and renegotiate our trade deals to make them more favorable to the U.S.

We also need to defend American jobs and wages by kicking out the illegals, building the wall, and putting an end to allowing up to 1 million legal immigrants -- most of them poor and uneducated -- into this country every year.

We should also stop giving welfare to people who could work. Illegal aliens are said to do jobs that "Americans won't do." Well, Americans will do them if they are cut off of welfare. They will have no choice.

The above is more or less what Trump proposes. Such policies would bring companies and jobs back to the U.S., increase our growth rate, increase wages, reduce inequality, and increase our tax base so that we could pay down the national debt, strengthen our military, and fully fund social security and Medicare.

Last edited by dechatelet; 06-03-2016 at 01:25 AM..

Old 06-03-2016, 11:54 AM

572 posts, read 279,953 times
China isn't communist, and has never achieved true communism.
Also, you don't want America to be like China-- it's really not a nice place to live.

The environmental laws are basically Libertarian.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:56 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,932,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
If this is true, I guess China and the US have a lot more in common than most people realize.
Might be the reason all things are China made........America is the frog in boiling water. I don't believe China has OSHA and Americans complain about their wages and work places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies