Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 03:04 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,679,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
4.7% unemployment. Payrolls rise to 38,000. Thanks, Obama!!!
Go OBAMA Sorry I mean GO Private businesses and corporations, they have to hire people. :-)
Even if Obama would rather they pay more taxes instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 06:20 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,841,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You question others ability to understand something which is simple, while totally ignoring the obvious gap in the math. They have stopped counting many who want jobs because they haven't found one in a year. Naturally if they (6 MILLION OF THEM) aren't counted the unemployment numbers look better because they are skewing the data.

Funny, you point out layoffs are at 40 year lows for just a year... please consider this is because these companies have been trimming for years and there's nobody left to fire.
As long as you are actively looking for work, even if its for 2 years or 3 years, you are NOT dropped from the U3 unemployment number. If you don't believe me, go read the link I provided to the BLS site that describes how they calculate the unemployment numbers.

The BLS even tracks people who are not looking, but say they want a job. Currently that number is running between 1.5 to 2 million above the lowest number ever recorded.

As of May 2016 the number of employed is at a record 151 million people. In May 1970 there were 79 million employed.

We have over twice the number employed yet the same level of layoffs as seen in the early seventies. Not since the early 1970s have we seen this consistently low level of layoffs. At other times in the last 40 years we have reached this level only to have the layoffs rebound after a couple of months.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:35 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,746,827 times
Millions who can't find full time work, because of Obama Care loopholes. there is no need to thank Obama or all the democrats that voted for it. Not one Republican voted yes, they all voted NO!!!!

Old 06-07-2016, 06:35 PM

788 posts, read 511,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
First off you there is no 1 year cutoff for being considered unemployed in the U3 number.

The following is the explanation from the BLS itself
How the Government Measures Unemployment

Who is counted as unemployed?

People are classified as unemployed if they do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work.

Driving around my area would be pointless exercise since I'm in a very hot job market. I see a lot of help wanted signs and every available space that can be built on is being built on with businesses moving into previously abandoned buildings.

Unemployment rate for San Francisco Bay Area.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area 3.7
You are falling for that classic pitfall of making a distinction without a difference. The economy is in such tatters that millions have given up in utter frustration of eking out a living. The exact definition of when that status is made is irrelevant. They are real people who need, want and should have a job, but Obama has so thrashed the economy (first POTUS ever never to exceed 2% GNP growth, for example), they can't.

However you wish to slice it, the economy sucks, and the numbers being set forth to portray the state thereof are dishonest. Everyone knows it, some can't admit to it, anecdotal "evidence" notwithstanding.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
You are falling for that classic pitfall of making a distinction without a difference. The economy is in such tatters that millions have given up in utter frustration of eking out a living. The exact definition of when that status is made is irrelevant. They are real people who need, want and should have a job, but Obama has so thrashed the economy (first POTUS ever never to exceed 2% GNP growth, for example), they can't.

However you wish to slice it, the economy sucks, and the numbers being set forth to portray the state thereof are dishonest. Everyone knows it, some can't admit to it, anecdotal "evidence" notwithstanding.
I'm not the one suggested using anecdotal "evidence" you were. And as I think I indicated in my post when I wrote that it would be pointless to use anecdotal evidence from where I live because I don't believe the S.F Bay area is economically representative of the country as a whole.

The number of people who want a job but are not looking has fallen by over 1 million since a high of over 7 million in 2012 and the trend line is declining.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:44 AM

788 posts, read 511,733 times
Quote:
I'm not the one suggested using anecdotal "evidence" you were. And as I think I indicated in my post when I wrote that it would be pointless to use anecdotal evidence from where I live because I don't believe the S.F Bay area is economically representative of the country as a whole.

The number of people who want a job but are not looking has fallen by over 1 million since a high of over 7 million in 2012 and the trend line is declining.
The number of people no longer working is at levels not seen for decades, the number of people on welfare and foodstamps are at record levels, and you cherry-pick tiny slices of stats to try to prove the false is true, up is down, and lie is fact.

I'd stop while you behind, but not left behind.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:07 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
If things were as good as WS is trying to make it out to be the Fed would not have indicated that they plan on continuing the welfare programs for Wall Street.

The sad thing is raising rates would be a lift to the economy but bad for Wall Street so screw the economy. The sloth class has their fortunes to make.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
The number of people no longer working is at levels not seen for decades, the number of people on welfare and foodstamps are at record levels, and you cherry-pick tiny slices of stats to try to prove the false is true, up is down, and lie is fact.

I'd stop while you behind, but not left behind.
I'm not of the opinion that everything is wonderful, but it is no where as bad as many are claiming. I also don't believe as the OP stated that we are at full employment, but we are not far from it.

You mentioned food stamps.

SNAP Costs and Caseloads Declining | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

SNAP caseload growth slowed substantially in 2012 and 2013, and caseloads fellby about 2 percent in 2014 and another 2 percent in 2015. For more than two years, fewer people have participated in SNAP each month than in the same month one year earlier. The number of people receiving SNAP has fallen by 2.6 million people since peaking in December 2012.[4] In 42 states, the number of SNAP participants was lower in December 2015 than in December 2012.[5]

I'm not sure what statistic you are referring to when you state "The number of people no longer working is at levels not seen for decade". The number of people in the U3 or U6 are way off the former highs. If you are referring to the number of people Not in the Labor Force (NILF), then of course the numbers are high. Baby Boomers are retiring and Millennials are coming of age. The largest segment in the NILF category are retirees. Students make up another large slice. The disabled, which is also influenced by the aging of the population, also makes up a large segment.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If things were as good as WS is trying to make it out to be the Fed would not have indicated that they plan on continuing the welfare programs for Wall Street.

The sad thing is raising rates would be a lift to the economy but bad for Wall Street so screw the economy. The sloth class has their fortunes to make.
Why should the Fed raise interest rates at this point? I know there is this theory that if they raised rates it would be a net positive for the economy, but I'm not buying it. I think its as of yet an unproven theory. Until we start to experience the negative impacts of an accommodative monetary policy, I'm not sure why we should be in a rush to tighten.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:30 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
Quote:
Why should the Fed raise interest rates at this point?
For the same reason Bernanke should have listened when he was being warned that housing was about to collapse but he refused to. For the same reason Greenspan has been forced to admit he made a huge mistake.

Quote:
I know there is this theory that if they raised rates it would be a net positive for the economy, but I'm not buying it. I think its as of yet an unproven theory. Until we start to experience the negative impacts of an accommodative monetary policy, I'm not sure why we should be in a rush to tighten.
Sure, and Bernanke said he didn't buy it either, that the banks and housing were on solid footing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies