U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 11:44 AM

11,232 posts, read 8,339,241 times

Advertisements

These people need a couple of classes in child development. They are clueless.

At four, many kids are a different thing every day. I might have thought my oldest was a tad crazy when she insisted on a dog collar and leash because she was a dog. Until the later 2 did the exact same thing about about the same age. They were cats, insisted on greeting the garbage man every day for months, were a different gender, and wanted to run a restaurant by the 4th grade. Ninety% of the kids I know and have worked with for 20 years in the MDO program at my church all do the same thing at about the same ages.

When my youngest, a boy, decided he was a girl, his sisters made him little pony tails,etc. It lasted about 2 days.

He did change his name at 4. Said he and his dad having the same name was confusing. He never answered to that name his dad gave him again. At 13, off to court he went to change it. Paid his own legal fees with grass cutting money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 11:47 AM

12,050 posts, read 11,097,358 times
That's funny. My daughter never proclaimed she was a boy at that age.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:09 PM

21,246 posts, read 11,480,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
That's funny. My daughter never proclaimed she was a boy at that age.
At 3 my youngest son said he wanted to grow up to be a bulldozer. My wife and I didn't declare him to be a D9 Cat on Facebook.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:52 PM

8,747 posts, read 4,002,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
At 4 years old I thought I was a cat, a dog, a cowboy, and a police officer. It passes. The kid next door had an imaginary friend.
Bad parents.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...eat-to-anyone/

"We are fortunate to have two wonderful children, each with an intense zeal for life. Ronnie, our six-and-a-half-year-old son, is filled with empathy and a love for all things active. Ellie, our five-and-a-half-year-old daughter, can light up a room with her magnetic smile and loves to run, laughing, as mommy and daddy chase her to the park.

Ellie is also transgender. She was born male, and we all thought she was a boy until, at age four, she let us know who she truly was."

"The Ford family lives in Washington, D.C., where Ron works for the federal government and Vanessa teaches science in a public school".
I wanted to wear a dress and wear a bow in my hair at 4 years old. Thought I was more of a girl than a guy until puberty. I ended up being cisgender. I think that is too young to really make that kind of decision.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:56 PM

17,087 posts, read 9,772,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
A 4 year old has no concept of sexual identity. Parents should focus on the child, not the gender.
Gender identity and sexual identity are not the same thing.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:05 PM

7,479 posts, read 5,755,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
This is what normalizing a mental defect does. It brings out the sickos who think it's ok now.
Such empathy. People who consider those who are different "defective" are the root cause of countless atrocities on mass scales throughout history. Topping it off by calling them "sickos" was a damning touch. Sad, really.

That being said, identifying a 4-year old as transgender does seem a stretch. Kids at that age are full of imagination and don't have any real concept of sexual identity past the different types of toys young kids play with. So, while I support parents keeping an eye on things like this in cause their kid is LGBT, I have serious doubts a child that young can be clearly identified as much of anything specific on that scale.

If there was a way to test brain chemistry or something else that clearly identified LGBT traits, they'd have a case if the markers came up on their child. Of course, if such a brain test existed, there would be no shortage of idiots out there who would want such children drugged into "normal" by force... mostly "small-government" and "religious" right-wingnuts, naturally...

Old 06-03-2016, 07:46 PM

10,531 posts, read 4,338,019 times
Quote:
Ellie’s school has been a model of inclusiveness. No matter a student’s ethnicity, race, physical challenge, or other identity, her school actively works to embrace and celebrate differences. When we first met with teachers and staff to discuss Ellie leaving as a boy and returning as a girl, we expected to have a fight about bathrooms, dress codes, names on attendance sheets. Instead, we were met with a warm welcome, clarity that “of course she can use the girls’ bathroom … she’s a girl!” and a letter to parents — signed by the administration –- explaining Ellie’s transition from boy to girl and expressing the school’s support. Her classroom teacher stocked the bookshelves with books that affirmed Ellie’s identity, and the teacher made a point to read those books during class in the first few weeks of school. Ellie’s fellow students, taking the clear cue from teachers and staff, treated Ellie like the girl she is and have embraced her as a member of the school community. Ellie has blossomed in her school. She feels safe, loved, empowered...
It kind of looks like the kid is being used as a self-esteem builder. He's become a way for everyone involved to affirm there own goodness. If his gender dysphoria is just temporary, how hard will it be for him to go back with everyone around him having invested so much in proclaiming his trans identity? Will he still feel loved and empowered if he decides tomorrow that he was always really a boy?

Old 06-03-2016, 07:50 PM

10,531 posts, read 4,338,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Such empathy. People who consider those who are different "defective" are the root cause of countless atrocities on mass scales throughout history. Topping it off by calling them "sickos" was a damning touch. Sad, really.

That being said, identifying a 4-year old as transgender does seem a stretch. Kids at that age are full of imagination and don't have any real concept of sexual identity past the different types of toys young kids play with. So, while I support parents keeping an eye on things like this in cause their kid is LGBT, I have serious doubts a child that young can be clearly identified as much of anything specific on that scale.

If there was a way to test brain chemistry or something else that clearly identified LGBT traits, they'd have a case if the markers came up on their child. Of course, if such a brain test existed, there would be no shortage of idiots out there who would want such children drugged into "normal" by force... mostly "small-government" and "religious" right-wingnuts, naturally...

...a rambling way to say, "This seems wrong, but I'm not like one of those bad people who think it's wrong."

Old 06-03-2016, 08:43 PM

7,479 posts, read 5,755,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
...a rambling way to say, "This seems wrong, but I'm not like one of those bad people who think it's wrong."
Let me spell this out slowly for you: if you can't tell the difference between the idiocy I was blasting - "transgender people are all mentally ill sickos" and my own feelings on the topic - "a 4-year old is probably too young to have a gender identity or be transgender" than you really aren't mature enough to be posting here. Have a nice day, wise guy!

Last edited by Rambler123; 06-03-2016 at 08:53 PM..

Old 06-03-2016, 08:56 PM

8,747 posts, read 4,002,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Correct. I think a person should wait until after puberty before deciding if they are transgender. If this boy still feels as if he's supposed to be a girl at age 14 or 15, then yes, he's probably transgender.

As I've said before, when I was four years old, I wanted to wear a dress and a bow in my hair. I used to always think I was a girl. I had many of the traits somebody might have if they were trans, but after puberty it went away and I ended up a cisgender gay male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or