Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 06:22 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times

Advertisements

quote:
Humans, like bacteria, want to live.

I am willing to bet there are nihilist bacteria. Maybe you are assuming wanting to live with not knowing any better? sorry, just busting chops right now. This topic is a big one. We'll all see, or not, in due time. Do we even really SEE IT when it happens though? Or do our lights just go out? I think our lights just go out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 06:25 PM

Also, I think gender preference bears quite a big relevance to this thread. I wasn't talking about gender though. I'm a male. always have identified as male. I was referring to sexual reproduction response. Even if you look at it now, most higher IQ people really don't have the desire to breed. Breeding is very low class for most Earth humans, and those with the means to create the fantasy that they are creating a dynasty of some sort with their genetic material. I think most intellectual people can agree that genetic material means baloney these days. Do you not think humans can be feral? I do.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:26 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
If we grab a sterile Petri dish with the right agar and touch the surface of the agar with our finger, then place it in an incubator for the right length of time, the bacteria colonies will eventually consume all of the agar and then die. Think of us (humans) as the bacteria that was introduced to that Petri dish. We have no effective way to morally control our population. We do not even talk about these issues - we are still stuck in the "Go forth and multiply" syndrome. The end is inevitable and it can come in many different ways.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:29 PM

and for what it's worth, I bet my IQ hovers around 100 so I wasn't go there with the whole I am smarter than people who breed crap. I don't feel that way at all. I'm sorry, just got into a philosophical mood there

Old 06-03-2016, 06:30 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Also, I think gender preference bears quite a big relevance to this thread. I wasn't talking about gender though. I'm a male. always have identified as male. I was referring to sexual reproduction response. Even if you look at it now, most higher IQ people really don't have the desire to breed. Breeding is very low class for most Earth humans, and those with the means to create the fantasy that they are creating a dynasty of some sort with their genetic material. I think most intellectual people can agree that genetic material means baloney these days. Do you not think humans can be feral? I do.
No I see an incoherent rant, frankly.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:32 PM

quote:
We have no effective way to morally control our population. We do not even talk about these issues

understand

Old 06-03-2016, 06:33 PM

quote:
No I see an incoherent rant, frankly.

OKay, then that is my cue to leave. Sorry I bothered you with my rant.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:33 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
Quote:
quote:
Humans, like bacteria, want to live.

I am willing to bet there are nihilist bacteria. Maybe you are assuming wanting to live with not knowing any better? sorry, just busting chops right now. This topic is a big one. We'll all see, or not, in due time. Do we even really SEE IT when it happens though? Or do our lights just go out? I think our lights just go out.
Are they Kant, are they Wittgenstein? Philosophy to a complex issue. Learned..sure. Relevant? To yourself

Old 06-04-2016, 06:24 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
quote:
We have no effective way to morally control our population. We do not even talk about these issues

understand
The only fair way would be a lottery.

The smart way would be selective. We could breed out many diseases and criminal behaviors.

But that would be immoral and certainly un-Christian. So we just soldier on and let Mother Nature do her thing.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:34 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The only fair way would be a lottery.

The smart way would be selective. We could breed out many diseases and criminal behaviors.

But that would be immoral and certainly un-Christian. So we just soldier on and let Mother Nature do her thing.
There is no "smart" way; since the smart and stupid will die together if we continue down our present course. With my example of the Petri dish; were there smart and dumb bacteria? It made no difference what level of accomplishment or development (evolution) the bacteria obtained - they were all doomed because their resources were limited.

Right now, if we had a global financial meltdown, how many would perish? My feeling is that the numbers could be catastrophic - right up there with all out nuclear war. We love to watch Road Warrior movies; but how would we really fair in a dog eat dog society where only the strongest survive?

Capitalism can only exist, as we know it, with growth. We have no idea how to deal with declines in sales and population. While more states are now accepting euthanasia (die with dignity) laws; we are still eons away from National acceptance. We have never discussed National birth control or one, possibly two, child limits - that would be unpatriotic. The only 'natural' ways to control population are war, famine and disease. If we ever move towards a National debate on how much is too much; that would be a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies