U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 11:41 AM

9,454 posts, read 12,252,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
There have been cases of black football players getting lesser sentences or at least they tried to until some hackers released the information to the public.
Link Please.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 11:41 AM

9,133 posts, read 9,215,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
2 men, both no priors, both athletes. One rapes an unconscious woman, is caught in the act, there are witnesses, evidence, get 6 months. The other is 16, accused of raping a 15 year-old. No witnesses, no evidence, gets 15 to 25 years, and after serving 5 years the victim recants the accusation.

It doesn't take much more than common sense to see something very rotten here.
Not necessarily. You haven't told me whether both men are in the same state. If they are in different states, there would be entirely different statutes. State A may impose mandatory sentences for some crimes. State B may not. State A may focus more on rehabilitation of offenders. State B may focus more on deterrence and incarceration. These are policies that are determined by the legislature in each state. Under our federal system, states have the right to do exactly that.

Another thing that doesn't appear in your description is the criminal history or background of both defendants. Until this information is provided, it would be wrong to comment on the discrepancy.

A sentence should take into account both factors.

A judge is not a calculator and our system is going to have some sentencing disparities no matter what we do. The proper process was followed in this case and that is acceptable to me even if the resulting sentence may not have been what I would have imposed. I'm sometimes surprised more people don't figure this out on their own.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Actually, some of his victims did come forward and were told by the police it was not winnable. Because he was America's dad.

Actually that''s not true the DA would make that
call.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I do not know much about this case but have some questions that jump out. First, is this a case where he held her down and raped her or is this one of those drunk sex regret cases? Also, she says she has no memory but complains about all of this psychological damage. How much damage can she have if she was too drunk to remember? Finally, anyone who gets so drunk as to lose control of their faculties holds some responsibility for what happens to them.

Not since we did away with the good ole days.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:51 AM

27,139 posts, read 29,530,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Oh, it just gets better. His childhood friend, a female, also wrote a letter to the judge saying:

She goes on to say even more in this article, including that people who do these things on campus aren't really rapists, they're boys and girls with clouded judgement.

His entire world seems to be filled with the entitled, misguided, special snowflakes who think rules don't apply to them.

I wonder if she'd feel that way if she was the one who had been raped.

And I wonder how much the Turner's would be screaming if they had a daughter who had experienced the same.

They've earned a giant F as parents. They're all a disgrace.
So it is only rape if you are kidnapped in a parking lot. Got it.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:54 AM

20,250 posts, read 9,891,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
That article made my stomach turn.

This is my favorite line:

My second favorite part is where she claimed she could name 5 people she went to school with who would've actually raped this girl. So, along with victim blaming and claiming that someone who rapes someone else isn't really a rapist, she's now profiling who looks and doesn't look like a rapist, which is part of the reason why we're having this discussion in the first place.

Entitled morons. All of them.
Yes, and referring to them as 'boys and girls', as though he's a child, is ridiculous. I'd say it was calculated, but she sounds like such an idiot I'm not sure she could have thought that one through.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:08 PM

20,322 posts, read 10,396,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

we are here because it is perfectly reasonable for a girl to go out get rip roaring drunk all my herself at some college party and pass out.
I don't care how drunk someone is that is no reason to justify rape.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:10 PM

9,142 posts, read 4,261,279 times
The kid got off easy. I'd have thrown the book him.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:12 PM

12,982 posts, read 12,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Not necessarily. You haven't told me whether both men are in the same state. If they are in different states, there would be entirely different statutes. State A may impose mandatory sentences for some crimes. State B may not. State A may focus more on rehabilitation of offenders. State B may focus more on deterrence and incarceration. These are policies that are determined by the legislature in each state. Under our federal system, states have the right to do exactly that.

Another thing that doesn't appear in your description is the criminal history or background of both defendants. Until this information is provided, it would be wrong to comment on the discrepancy.

A judge is not a calculator and our system is going to have some sentencing disparities no matter what we do. The proper process was followed in this case and that is acceptable to me even if the resulting sentence may not have been what I would have imposed. I'm sometimes surprised more people don't figure this out on their own.

I'm talking about Brian Banks, same state, CA, and he had no criminal history.

Cut the condecension, I am never this condescending to you when we talk medical issues.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:13 PM

20,250 posts, read 9,891,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Mark, I have a question about this. A hypothetical, really. Say there are two very similar cases that match the one we're discussing. Defendant A comes from an intact family with a successful father, a stay at home mother, was in the boy scouts, and got good grades in school. Is currently a college student. Defendant B comes from a broken home, hasn't seen his father in years, lives in public housing, is African American, got through high school and has worked on and off since graduating.

What background factors will the person compiling the presentencing report look at and how will these things be weighted? I suspect the sentencing won't be the same and I'm sure we'd all be interested in the details.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or