Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 10:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times

Advertisements

A man driving a pickup truck hit and killed five cyclists as he plowed into a group of them riding together. Didn't they realize that drivers can be old, sometimes distracted? They text, they get sleepy, they occasionally drive drunk, they can have poor eyesight? Maybe the cyclists were tired from a long ride and not really paying attention. Maybe they even wandered into his lane a little bit! Can we be sure? The driver ran away and was caught, but you know ... maybe he just didn't know what he was doing. It sounds like a really unfortunate mistake because everybody knows that when you get on a bike sometimes bad things happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 10:15 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,635 times
This girl got drunk and passed out in a back alley. What did she think would happen? She needs to be more responsible. Hopefully, she learned her lesson after this incident.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:16 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
what a brilliant exchange! (I really mean that, no sarc.) this well represents a the class of views here.

See the thing is the rapist is a rapist and should be treated as such. no question about that. but ATG5 is utterly missing the point being made by a woman who came of age in the 70s.

We taught people stuff back then that we aren't teaching people now. the 70s was a wild time and men and women were doing things that a generation before was utterly verboten. BUT they owned their own actions. why? because they had been taught to do so. CULTURE demanded responsibility.

now we are raising kids that will go do all manner of things... not so much differently from the 60s and 70s but the big difference is, we have utterly abandoned the requirement that we own our actions.

The guy in this case is a rapist but even in the trial, they are looking for not harming him poor baby. (that sound is me puking). society never did demand responsibility from this guy so why would he think it will now?

The girl was doing what is utterly acceptable and as a society we don't even stop to say things to her like what Miu said above....

this is no excuse for rape and it is not blaming the victim. but we have to recognize as a society we are moving in the wrong direction. we need to stop.
Speak for yourself. My parents raised me just fine, and most of my family and my friends are the same way.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:22 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,553,456 times
the silver lining here is that this was such an outrageous ruling and his father is a huge DOUCHE, that its getting world-wide coverage. Anything that helps raise awareness about rape being rampant on college campuses, and so many incidents get swept under the rug is good. This HAS GOT TO STOP.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:33 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
This girl got drunk and passed out in a back alley. What did she think would happen?
A hangover and some good-natured ribbing the day after. That's what happened to people who passed out drunk when I was young. Of course, we tended to exclude psychopaths from the circles I moved in.

Quote:
She needs to be more responsible. Hopefully, she learned her lesson after this incident.
You're a pretty horrible person, aren't you?

Old 06-08-2016, 10:36 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
This girl got drunk and passed out in a back alley. What did she think would happen? She needs to be more responsible. Hopefully, she learned her lesson after this incident.
Learned her lesson? How sick.

Listen, I'm in the vast minority here because I think there needs to be a major discussion around binge drinking of young men and women. It's particularly dangerous for young women to do because it leaves them in such a vulnerable position.

We teach our children to drive defensively. We tell them not to leave their purse in the shopping cart and walk away to get something. We tell them not to leave expensive items in their car where they can be seen, and to make sure their doors are locked. We tell them if they're at a bar and turn their back on their drink for any period of time, you're done with the drink. But for some reason the minute you mention young women can do a lot in the way of staying safe by not drinking to the point of blacking out, you're a victim blamer, even though it's said in general and not with regard to this particular case/victim.

But your attitude is horrendous. Rape isn't a lesson to be learned. The only lesson that needs to be learned is on the part of the criminal who raped her.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:36 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
A hangover and some good-natured ribbing the day after.
That or maybe a gentleman would see her in her predicament and help her.

Who knows, the woman could've passed out because she was drunk, because she didn't take her insinlin, because she slipped and hit her head...

Yeah, but what do we know? We were raised right.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:46 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
Quote:
Quick question, have you had a sister, mother, cousin, any female friends, get drunk? Should being raped be the lesson they should have learned after drinking?

Old 06-08-2016, 11:00 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Almost as hard to read some of the comments in this thread as it was to read the sentence for this kid, but I suppose for all too many, issues of race and gender tend to be "confusing."

Not always easy to agree with the range of outcomes delivered by our justice system, and this is a case that is no doubt a head-scratcher, the sort of story I tend to avoid reading altogether frankly, but regardless the court sentence, these two kids are both going to be doing a "sentence" well beyond what the judge decided.

She -- gets drunk beyond the pale, perhaps a young alcoholic in the making, who knows and how much does it matter? Doesn't really, except that had she not incapacitated herself with alcohol, her life would not be ruined, not yet anyway. The crime, too much alcohol. The penalty, her life ruined. Whether she can be held responsible or not for the rape (I think not), life just delivered her a full-term sentence for abusing alcohol, much like a drunk driver suddenly wakes up the next day in the hospital charged with drunk driving, and killing a family in a head-on collision. Not really what they had in mind, just drinking. Not that she committed any crime, mind you, just a victim of booze as well, and this dumb kid of course.

He -- apparently a young dumb kid that couldn't control his urges, to the point of absurdity. Who needs any further elaboration not already repeated many times just in this thread. Only six months, but life also just delivered him a full-term sentence, maybe to be cut short with suicide, because just imagine. One day a Stanford swimmer with life by the balls, the next day his balls in a vice -- for life. Family, friends, school, people looking at him, his future..., turned to a living Hell.

All well deserved? Not sure. Penalty fits the crime? Not sure.

Both their lives ruined either way. Altogether very sad either way.

Moral of the story? Not sure...

https://rainn.org/news/97-every-100-...analysis-shows

Old 06-08-2016, 11:06 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Let’s get one thing straight, OK. Perpetrators of sexual assault are responsible for their crimes and should be prosecuted. I don't think anyone would argue differently.

Where we disagree is I strongly believe we are failing to let young women know that when they render themselves defenseless, terrible things can be done to them.

Young women are getting a distorted message that the right to drink themselves into oblivion is a feminist issue. Women should be able to drink copious amounts of alcohol and suffer no consequences.

The feminist message should be that when women get drunk, they lose the ability to be responsible for themselves and drastically increase the chances of attracting the kinds of people who could cause them harm or worse.

Stating facts is not blaming the victim. Telling women not to get drunk and to be smart is not sexist. Being honest about the facts is trying to prevent more victims.

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Results: Findings indicate that almost 20% of undergraduate women experienced some type of completed sexual assault since entering college. Most sexual assaults occurred after women voluntarily consumed alcohol, whereas few occurred after women had been given a drug without their knowledge or consent.

Listen I wasn't trying to get on your case.

I am a male who doesn't drink alcohol but yet earlier in my life was raped by a female , and as a male so called victim had a polar opposite experience as a female would have being raped.

I as a male (I) had some of the best sex of my life , yet I was technically raped by a woman.

The above mentioned scenario doesn't happen in
the case of a woman ( it''s a nightmare ) for them.

Your focal on stopping black out drunks doesn't
achieve any desirable resolves ( because ) we
still have Medical Induced Black Out's In WOMEN
which can not be stopped simply by not drinking
alcohol.

You see the one and only one solution to this age
OLD PROBLEM is to FORCE MEN TO CONTROL
THEIRS SEXUAL IMPULSES TO RAPE WOMEN.

Last edited by Howest2008; 06-08-2016 at 11:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies