Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 08:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Some of the seeds of rape culture start right in childhood:

6 Ways We (Accidentally) Teach Our Kids Rape Culture | Babble
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 08:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That's the point I have been repeatedly trying to make. Women and men are raped in every conceivable location, the only common denominator being the rapist. You tell us, what should people do to protect themselves?

I've posted about it previously in this thread.

It's wrong to blame the victim - I'm in agreement with that. We don't know if this creep slipped her a drug or what happened. But there is a second dialogue that keeps getting shut down - which involves what young people can do to remain safe. Even on television when that subject comes up - hysterical people are yelling words like "blaming the victim" and "victim shaming". Shutting down the discussion isn't helping young people.

Yes, we all drank, and I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about drinking until you lose your faculties and/or black out. That's not doing what you should do to remain safe in today's world. It's OKAY to say that. If there is any positive that might come out of this horrid situation it's that young people get advice about how to remain safe - particularly young women.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:34 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
That's the point I have been repeatedly trying to make. Women and men are raped in every conceivable location, the only common denominator being the rapist. You tell us, what should people do to protect themselves?
How about a little reality check here. When you're sending your daughter off to college, do you, or do you not, tell them that it's a really bad idea to get blind drunk at a frat parties?

Ans: You tell them. In this world, we do what we can to minimize risk to ourselves. We wear seatbelts, we don't jay-walk in traffic, we lock our doors, and you don't get blind drunk and pass out in places where bad things can happen. Now listen carefully: That in no way diminishes the culpability of someone who commits a crime against you. Brock should get hard time as far as I'm concerned. But people need to be advocates for their own safety. Getting blind drunk and falling down on railroad tracks isn't going to have a happy ending. I'm pretty sure this is what Miu and others are saying.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:35 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Just curious, if a man gets drunk and is raped is it his fault?

No way is it ever a man's fault..... LOL

Old 06-08-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I keep reading this statement throughout the thread. You can't control every man, not every man has good intentions, and some are downright sick. It's not right, but that's the reality of the world.

So apart from what you cannot control, what is the best thing a woman can do to avoid being in a situation where she may be taken advantage of - i.e. raped, etc.?
I'll ask a different question. Why don't we train men (and predators) not to put themselves in a position where they would harm someone? Why are women the only ones who should be diligent about avoiding predators? Why don't predators need to take responsibility?
It doesn't matter what you wear, where you go or how you act, you can still get raped. So let's stop blaming the victim and let the criminal be culpable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It doesn't matter how many times you people repeat this. It doesn't stop being idiotic.
It is idiotic it is the victim's fault some idiot criminalizes them. It is the criminal's fault.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:36 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm talking about drinking until you lose your faculties and/or black out. That's not doing what you should do to remain safe in today's world. It's OKAY to say that. If there is any positive that might come out of this horrid situation it's that young people get advice about how to remain safe - particularly young women.

Okay, and that is in the context of this case. What about when alcohol is not involved?

Here's some reading for you:

Actually, The Link Between Sexual Assault And Alcohol Isn't As Clear As You Think | ThinkProgress

Old 06-08-2016, 08:38 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
How about a little reality check here. When you're sending your daughter off to college, do you, or do you not, tell them that it's a really bad idea to get blind drunk at a frat parties?

Ans: You tell them. In this world, we do what we can to minimize risk to ourselves. We wear seatbelts, we don't jay-walk in traffic, we lock our doors, and you don't get blind drunk and pass out in places where bad things can happen. Now listen carefully: That in no way diminishes the culpability of someone who commits a crime against you. Brock should get hard time as far as I'm concerned. But people need to be advocates for their own safety. Getting blind drunk and falling down on railroad tracks isn't going to have a happy ending. I'm pretty sure this is what Miu and others are saying.
Go back and read some earlier posts, they are saying the victim is partly responsible, that is what is so outrageous.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:38 PM

The problem with the logic of don't get drunk, don't be in a vulnerable place etc etc is that it doesn't explain how someone who does all the right things gets raped. So based on your logic, what should I have told the family friend who got raped at age 13 walking home from school in the afternoon. Don't walk home from school or you'll get raped? What about the friend who was raped at a party by someone she trusted: don't trust anyone? This logic doesn't hold up at all.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:40 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
So a world famous athlete was underage drinking, having sex outside, got caught and ran away. That doesn't mean he ran because he thought he was raping her. But even if true, anyone who puts themselves into that situation is not totally free from responsibility.
SHE WAS UNCONSCIOUS, are you saying that raping an unconscious person is okay? He is 100 % responsible, she is not to blame for being raped. No rape is okay, ever.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:42 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The problem with the logic of don't get drunk, don't be in a vulnerable place etc etc is that it doesn't explain how someone who does all the right things gets raped. So based on your logic, what should I have told the family friend who got raped at age 13 walking home from school in the afternoon. Don't walk home from school or you'll get raped? What about the friend who was raped at a party by someone she trusted: don't trust anyone? This logic doesn't hold up at all.
Your logic is like saying, "why wear a seatbelt when people get killed wearing seatbelts anyway?"

People need to be advocates for their own safety. To that end, you minimize risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies