Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 12:05 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
She was probably conscious at the time of the sexual encounter, she just doesn't remember it.

That's called being blacked out. Happens all the time when people drink too much.

You're conscious but you can't remember what happened the next day.

There is no evidence that she didn't consent.

And there is no evidence that the sex was forced on her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Nope, she was unconscious. Her lack of consciousness was witnessed by the men on bicycles, by the police, and by paramedics. That's the evidence she didn't consent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Technically, she could have started out conscious, then passed out. I'm not saying that it happened in this case. But the men on bicycles and the police and paramedics weren't there at the start of the assault, otherwise, it never would have happened at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The most enthusiastic consent ends when someone is unconscious.
He might not have been aware that she had passed out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Two guys riding by on bicycles could tell something was amiss. And the poor little rich boy, being the gentleman that he was raised to be, tried to run away as soon as he realized he'd been caught.

Stop dreaming up scenarios that absolves rapists. It reflects on you.
Maybe he ran away because he was both embarrassed and being called a rapist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Very good points. It would have taken insight and self-reflection, both apparently missing in Daddio. After everything the father still thinks the trial and sentence is the worst thing his son has experienced, and not the fact that he so easily chose to rape someone.
Good parents instinctively defend their children. They don't become witnesses for the prosecution.

I'd be more worried about him if he didn't defend his son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Oh, good grief!

I couldn't get through the entire letter. Too sappy; too fake; I figured she'd end up by saying her son was only one step away from sainthood.
Good parents instinctively defend their children. They don't become witnesses for the prosecution.

I'd be more worried about her if she didn't defend her son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Why is it so shocking that people in his life have had a hard time reconciling the person they thought they knew with the person he has turned out to be? Don't hate his friends or his siblings, who I'm certain are all reeling from what has come to light. They are not to blame for turning him into a rapist.
Exactly. Assuming there even was a rape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think posters are perhaps thinking that those in his life have been enabling him, making excuses for him, and ignoring warning signs and indicative behaviors. It is quite unusual for someone to do something like this out of the blue with no warning or no questionable behavior prior.
You can get all kinds of warning signs, and still, there is nothing you can do about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I have two sons. Thankfully they are finished with college, but if I was counseling my boys now if entering college, I would tell them not to have sex with a girl unless they are both completely sober. Kind of sad, actually, because I think college is the time we experiment and explore sex for fun. I wasn't always sober when having sex in college. Were you, ray?
Good question.

People go to bars, get drunk, and hook up. Or they go to parties, get drunk, and hook up. This is so common that it is obvious that there will be a lot of "morning after remorse" and false accusations.

Quote:
Sex now can cause young men a lifetime of harm if the girl wakes up and decides sex was a mistake. An accusation of sex without consent can ruin a young man's life on a woman's word only, without a trial. Yale basketball captain was expelled without a trial based on an accusation, is an example.
Yes, and accusation alone can ruin an innocent person's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm surprised everyone is going after the judge, but not the Probation Officer who did the pre-sentencing report that the judge went by.

Nobody has said a word about her - and she's the one who came up with the sentencing.
This is all about demonizing a guy who fits the liberal's current demographic "target profile." The lib media scours the country for these cases. Rich white college jock attending an elite private university-- perfect. The woman probation officer doesn't fit that profile.

I learned a long time ago that if you applied to become a probation officer and -- in a hypothetical scenario -- recommended severe punishment, they wouldn't hire you.

Last edited by dechatelet; 06-11-2016 at 12:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Absolutely agree. I graduated from college in 2010 and it was nowhere near this bad at that time (which was only 6 years ago).

I had sex with tons of drunk girls. I'm sure that, being a white male, I would be targeted by false rape allegations these days.

Luckily, college is on the downswing anyway. People are waking up and finally realizing that it's just a big scam for the most part. So my kids (who are not born yet) may not even have to deal with this nonsense once they become college-aged.

One thing I will teach my daughters is to not play victim and to be responsible for their actions.

Feminists don't care about that. They are pushing an agenda, which is female dominance. As a man, feminism is not my friend.

Women that have sex with underage children still get off easy in comparison to men. I learned when I was in college that women can't rape a man legally. Because, if they have sex, his penis is erect. Therefore, he is giving consent. It is, at best, sexual assault.

Not sure if the laws are still that way, but they were back in 2005 (or so) in my home state.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Future sex offenders starter manual. Please read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Are you a gender studies major?

How can you call someone such a horrendous thing as a "future sex offender"?
Men who don't play by feminist rules are automatically sex offenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoicewithin View Post
May you never have daughters. You don't deserve that blessing.

It's THIS "boys will be boys" mentality that is enabling rape culture and victim shaming. And to think you are young too. Yuck. You sound like a bitter man in his 50s. And you sound like you are somewhat jealous that others get off easier for having sex with underage children.
So ageism combined with an insinuation of child molestation.

At least the race card hasn't been played.

Quote:
Bet you wouldnt be saying that it's what college guys do if your wife or daughters breasts were texted out. But of course, people don't care until it impacts them.
How is our casual hook-up/serial boyfriend culture any more acceptable to a father than sharing pictures of breasts? Or do women hide what they are doing from their parents?

It seems like a lot of people want to have their cake and eat it, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
I don't see what's wrong in preaching responsibility to my children though. Despite popular belief, women are responsible for their actions too.

That's not "playing victim". That's stating a fact. Feminists are out to push an agenda and help themselves. Not us. Wake up.

Just because Brock hooked up with a drunk girl doesn't mean that he couldn't get sober women. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Personally, when I was in college, I liked to brag. A woman would send me a naked picture and I would show my friends. Sue me.

I don't have a sister or a daughter. However, I will make sure that any child (son or daughter) that I do have knows not to drink to excess because these are the kinds of things that can happen.

You're basically just mad because I disagree with the groupthink both on this forum and in society. Well, I do and I'm not sorry.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I know his type quite well. Any girl that's remotely attractive, yeah, she needs to be at least drunk for Brock to get any. Her sister rejected him and the only way he could get some that night was to take advantage of an unconscious woman.
So now, in addition to ageism and accusations of kiddy diddling, we have an insinuation of incest.

All so predictable.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:27 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Nine things you should know about the Stanford sex assault case" (first two listed):

1) Turner lied about never partying and taking drugs before enrolling at Stanford, prosecutors said.

2) Turner was arrested before the sexual assault in an unrelated incident.

Here are 9 things you should know about the Stanford sex assault case - LA Times
Brock was no angel.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:54 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
If you think that will protect her from all rapists, you have another think coming.
Nothing will protect you from ALL anything. But the cases that have ended up in the news, the drunken sex at college stories, are all alcohol related. Those cases, the grey areas where who knows who said what if nobody can remember the next day, ...we can protect from. IMO many of these are more life lessons than criminal situations. Everyone has to learn what they can and can't do, should or shouldn't do, to avoid whatever happened that they were an active participant in.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:48 AM

Don't play with fire if you don't want to get burned.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

So now, in addition to ageism and accusations of kiddy diddling, we have an insinuation of incest.

All so predictable.
It was the VICTIM'S sister who rejected widda Brockie!

Old 06-11-2016, 07:00 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
[quote]
Quote:

He might not have been aware that she had passed out..
He took advantage of her because he KNEW she had become unconscious.

Quote:
Maybe he ran away because he was both embarrassed and being called a rapist.
If he had the ability to run away (and he did run away) then he wasn't that drunk. He wasn't drunk enough to not realize she was unconscious.

Quote:

I'd be more worried about her if she didn't defend her son.
If a son of mine acted in such a despicable manner, hard as it would be, I would allow justice to take its course and make him pay for his crime. Whatever happened to the right's insistence that people be responsible for their actions? Does that apply only to people they don't like?

Quote:
You can get all kinds of warning signs, and still, there is nothing you can do about them.
Yes, there is a lot parents can do. Stop covering up and protecting their children. His parents seem like the typical "my son can do no wrong" type. The kid had an entitlement attitude. That's poor parenting.

Quote:
People go to bars, get drunk, and hook up. Or they go to parties, get drunk, and hook up. This is so common that it is obvious that there will be a lot of "morning after remorse" and false accusations.
Except that is not what happened in this case. The woman was obviously drunk; maybe falling-down drunk. He saw that and took advantage of her. Maybe when he grabbed her she thought someone was going to help her get home; maybe he even told her he wanted to help her, so she walked off with him, never realizing he was really a rapist. After all, he's just a 'kid', right?

Old 06-11-2016, 07:18 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It was the VICTIM'S sister who rejected widda Brockie!
Reading comprehension is hard !!!

Old 06-11-2016, 07:21 AM

35,669 posts, read 21,030,020 times
there is a crime or there is NOT-- if there was NO crime when why did he get a sentence-- even a lenient one"? it should have been thrown out for lack of evidence- period -- but 9 out of 10 when there is smoke, there is fire. What is the man's explanation for being behind a dumpster with an unconscious gal?

Old 06-11-2016, 07:24 AM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Brock was no angel.
Probably because his father spent his life enabling his son. Pathetic.

"Also worth reading is a letter written by the attacker’s dad, Dan Turner** – a plea to the judge to give his son a probation-only sentence. There is so much wrong with the missive, including the way it conflates sex with rape. Throughout, the father reveals a “my child can do no wrong” mindset. It is an extreme example, but hardly an isolated one, of a much deeper societal problem."

Stanford rape case: How can Brock Turner accept responsibility for his actions if his father excuses them? - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies