U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 09:11 AM

12,982 posts, read 12,207,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Good parents instinctively defend their children. They don't become witnesses for the prosecution.

If it was my child it would never go to trial in the first place. The moment I were to hear ALL the facts of the case I would sit down with my son and have a very serious talk. I would make sure he realizes that he did a terrible thing. I would apologize for failing him, but be sure he understands exactly what he did, why it was wrong, and make sure he absolutely knows what the repurcusiions will be.

If it were my son he would take a plea deal, he would take full responsibility for his crime, he would express his regret publicly, especially to his victim. He accepts a reasonable sentence, and make a commitment to participate in educating others regarding consent. I would make sure he gets counselling and/or therapy. I would get counselling for the whole family.

Most importantly we would make sure the victim can move forward with her life without being repeatedly traumatized in our attempt to avoid our own and my son's responsibility.

Many people in this thread talk about people taking responsibility for rape, this is how it is done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 09:27 AM

17,050 posts, read 10,019,342 times
And again, the glaring lack of mention for the raped victim.

This despicable family will never get it, nor will their sick supporters and enablers in society.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/brock-turn...opstories.html

Quote:
In an anguished letter to Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky prior to her son’s sentencing, Carleen Turner pleaded for mercy, saying sending him to jail would be “a death sentence.”

“I beg of you, please don’t send him to jail/prison. Look at him. He won’t survive it. He will be damaged forever and I fear he would be a major target. Stanford boy, college kid, college athlete -- all the publicity,” Carleen Turner wrote in her statement, which was among the court documents made public today. “This would be a death sentence for him.”

“He has never been in trouble, never even had a demerit in high school, he studied, swam worked hard,” the mother wrote. “His dreams have been shattered by this. No NCAA Championships. No Stanford degree, no swimming in the Olympics (and I honestly know he would have made a future team), no medical school, no becoming an Orthopedic surgeon.”

“I know what a broken heart feels like. It is a physical pain that starts just below the collar bone and extends to below the rib cage, it is a crushing and heavy ache that feels like I am being squeezed. This feeling has not left my body since the verdict. This verdict has destroyed us,” she wrote.

Carleen Turner said she and her husband are a “working middle-class couple with Midwestern values” who had recently downsized their house to ease their financial burdens. Her two other children have collectively accumulated $150,000 in student loan debt, Carleen Turner said, because she and her husband were unable to pay for college tuition. Brock Turner had been awarded a 60 percent swimming scholarship by Stanford University prior to his expulsion over the sexual assault case.

“There have been many references to Brock being from a wealthy, privileged background and he thinks he is entitled. Your honor, this could not be further from the truth,” Carleen Turner said in her statement to the judge. “We do NOT come from money, rather the opposite.”
The world's smallest violin...

Old 06-11-2016, 10:03 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,173,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
there is a crime or there is NOT-- if there was NO crime when why did he get a sentence-- even a lenient one"? it should have been thrown out for lack of evidence- period -- but 9 out of 10 when there is smoke, there is fire. What is the man's explanation for being behind a dumpster with an unconscious gal?
Innocent men can be convicted of things they did not do, but that's not what happened here. It's not a he-said-she-said in this instance. Witnesses caught him in the act.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:06 AM

12,187 posts, read 3,126,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Fine... keep thinking that and telling your daughters that... and the rapes will continue. I don't understand why you would rather argue for the right for all women to be able to dress slutty and be c*ckteases, instead of telling young women to be more aware of how they are dressing and acting is affecting the men around them. If they want to exude sexuality, then they should expect sexual advances. Instead, they should only be acting sexy towards men that they are interested in having a sexual relationship with. In fact, I think it very mean-spirited and cruel to be flirtatious with men that they would never date in a million years. Why be so unkind? Why be a user?
Hard to get through all the comments since the last time I visited this thread, and I'm not sure I WILL read all of them, but your comments in particular are generally among the most objectionable and antiquated.

Surely you must agree a woman can never be blamed for rape or truly believe she was "asking for it." Lots of comments have made the similar point that you might as well believe women are "asking for it" by virtue of being women!

You also made the point or expressed your heartburn over what other women are doing or wearing in the office. I happen to be very familiar with the issue of how women have "issues" with other women in the workplace that tends to undermine their ability to get along. A dynamic that is complex, interesting and probably deserving a thread (if not a book) all it's own.

However, it takes quite the old-school puritan way of thinking to suggest a woman should not be free to express herself through dress in any way she wants, within the confines of the law, or you might do well to consider dress code in other countries as compared to America! Woman should dress as they want, not as men dictate!

Whether that be as determined by religion (also dominated by male dictates) or how a man chooses to treat a woman -- or do to a woman -- man should not be the ultimate authority or reason a woman does as she will!

Yes, of course, woman should be aware of threats to their safety, and yes of course everyone should do the same when it comes to all manner of what bad people will do to other people, whether they be male, female or child, but this caution should not be twisted into an argument that because someone might "get the wrong message" from a short skirt, that women shouldn't wear short skirts.

Not only is this a ridiculous limitation or restriction to put on women, but as a man, I would hate to think I don't get to see woman looking sexy because other men don't act respectful and appropriate regardless the dress or because women are afraid of what some men might do. I know we all pay a price for what bad people do, but we also have something of an obligation to live freely in these regards and/or not as dictated by bad people, right?

Not too long ago, along the beach on a sunny day, I saw a woman roller skating topless. I've seen similar "acts of freedom" here and there in various foot races where people dress up (or down). I've seen topless women on the Italian riviera...

All these woman "asking for it?" Or shouldn't be able?

No, no more than we shouldn't drive because someone might hit us in a head on collision while texting. Risks, sure, but give up our freedoms because of those risks? That's not thinking or living as we should...

Old 06-11-2016, 11:14 AM

20,178 posts, read 9,852,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5
I know his type quite well. Any girl that's remotely attractive, yeah, she needs to be at least drunk for Brock to get any. Her sister rejected him and the only way he could get some that night was to take advantage of an unconscious woman.
Quote:

So now, in addition to ageism and accusations of kiddy diddling, we have an insinuation of incest.

All so predictable.

What in God's name are you talking about? It was reported that Brock tried to kiss the victim's sister who rebuffed him. This isn't insinuation, it's fact.

And it's HER sister, not HIS sister, so how are you coming up with incest?

Old 06-11-2016, 12:34 PM

5,610 posts, read 2,258,276 times
Quote:
No, no more than we shouldn't drive because someone might hit us in a head on collision while texting. Risks, sure, but give up our freedoms because of those risks? That's not thinking or living as we should...
The key is the risks. Both my daughters were given much freedom at the age of 16 the only real rule I and the wife imposed on them is that they stick together and watch one anothers backs at all times. Things like this minimize the risks of something unpleasant happening.

I think it can be safely said though that girls aren't necessarily getting any brighter and neither are guys. I consider both parties guilty of utter stupidity of epic proportions. Fools like these are what screw up the good things for everyone else.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:23 PM

31,989 posts, read 16,456,664 times
Quote:
So now, in addition to ageism and accusations of kiddy diddling, we have an insinuation of incest.
Your arguments would improve if your grasp of the facts matched the intensity of your desire to defend this particular stain.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:30 PM

31,989 posts, read 16,456,664 times
It's a long read, but it's good.

Money quote:

Quote:
There are two ways to see good fortune and bad fortune. You can say “someone who has enjoyed good fortune should be held to a higher standard, and someone who has suffered bad fortune should be treated with more compassion.” But America’s courts are more likely to say “someone who has enjoyed good fortune has more to lose, and someone who has suffered bad fortune can’t expect any better.”
Brock Allen Turner: The Sort of Defendant Who Is Spared

And before anyone decides Ken White is just a wussy bleeding-heart SJW, I suggest you look him up.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:39 PM

2,800 posts, read 1,760,177 times
He should of gotten 4-5 years and when he is released having to go to some kind of rehabilitation program.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 810,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
He should of gotten 4-5 years and when he is released having to go to some kind of rehabilitation program.
That's reasonable. I think sex offender registration is too harsh. It doesn't allow for rehabilitation (that's if you believe he is truly guilty of sexual assault).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or