Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 04:31 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,276,799 times

Advertisements

The woman was just twenty-two and a recent graduate. Granted, I wasn't attending frat parties once I had received my degree, but I was already married by then. If I had still been a young twenty-something, single, and home visiting a younger sibling, I might have gone out to a party, too.

The rest of your post does not deserve the dignity of a response.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 04:32 PM

13,161 posts, read 21,713,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Actually I've done a lot of reading and read that this judge is respected and not considered soft.

If most judges rely on the presentencing report written by the PO, why is nobody going after her?

Because most posters in this thread have an agenda and it doesn't fit their narrative, that's why.

Disingenuous phonies.
No. The disingenuous phonies are the ones that don't consider the opinions of other judges and lawmakers that say this sentence was bad. Why? Because it doesn't fit YOUR narrative. Read the link. http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...-stanford-case

Old 06-11-2016, 04:35 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,543,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth_syrium View Post
let's cut the bs and stop calling this guy a rapist. I highly doubt he busted his ass off in high school to get to Stanford and get convicted of sexual assault behind a dumpster?

He's disgusting, stupid, *******, but not a rapist. If he were a rapist, he would have whipped it out and stuck it in her to feel good. Instead, he took some pictures, touched her boobs, put some foreign objects in her, maybe even his finger. To me, he was having drunk stupid freshman weird bizarre fun which cost him everything he's worked for his entire life. This stupidity is legendary, parents should make sure any sons going to college do not end up like this guy.

The victim? 26 year old woman attending a frat party? I've never heard of 26 year old working professionals attending a frat party with their younger sisters. Also a dummy (went to UC Santa Barbara, what do you expect), but I can sympathize with her. Brock messed her up, but she is also somewhat accountable: walked withhim and drank herself unconscious. Brock didn't carry her from the party to behind that dumpster and do his weird stupid ****.

3 months, 6 months is about right. 14 years in prison for groping and doingstupid weird, bizarre ****? I don't think so. Stop calling this guy a rapist, which he is clearly not.
Congratulations on defending a rapist on your first post. Can somebody anally violate you, if you are a guy, and just shake it off like it was a silly prank. Maybe insert some vegetation into your anus and take pictures of it. Shake it off. Just a little fun among boys.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:55 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The woman's rights organization is coming against this bias judge.. hummm.. yet Trump can't say a judge could be bias by his Mexican ethnic background, yet they say this male judge is bias against women..
Many people are against this judge, not just women's groups.

As for the rest, I have one word: EVIDENCE

There is NO evidence that Judge Curiel is biased, nor have any of his judgments been biased.

There IS evidence that the judge in this particular case IS biased.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:59 PM

14,336 posts, read 14,137,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
No. The disingenuous phonies are the ones that don't consider the opinions of other judges and lawmakers that say this sentence was bad. Why? Because it doesn't fit YOUR narrative. Read the link. GOP lawmaker calls for removal of judge in Stanford rape case | TheHill
You really are grasping. A judge doesn't go out and get the opinions of other judges before he sentences in criminal cases. If he did that he'd be so slow, he'd never get any work done. He instead relies on the pre-sentence report. This report is so critical because it is really the only non-biased and neutral information that the judge gets. Letters from the victim and her family are biased one way. Statements from the prosecutor are biased his way. Letters from the offenders family are biased another way. Statements from the defense attorney are biased another way.

Being a trial court judge is tough, difficult work. It is often gut-wrenching because it involves balancing a victim's interest against societal interest against the offender's interests. All have to be considered and taken into account if justice is to rendered.

There is also a concept called "judicial independence" which just seems beyond the ability of some people here to understand. Judges ought to be free to make tough decisions without fear of repercussions from power special interests in the community. This concept is treated in different ways. In the federal courts, judges are given an appointment for life and can only be removed through impeachment by the U.S. Senate. California allows its judges to be elected. I believe the recall election is a poor device when it comes to judges. Judges knowing they are subject to recall are less likely to be independent and more likely to worry about being beholden to every special interest in a community.

This concept of judicial independence is more important than the outcome of any one case.

Sigh...another person who is so worked up about one case that they just don't get it.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:23 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,571,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You posters have lost all credibility. MarkG made it clear that it's the Probation Officer who comes up with the sentencing that judges follow. They're the ones doing all the digging and writing the report.

It was a female PO who came up with the sentencing but none of you have had one word to say about it. You still want to string up the judge.

And none of you are talking at all about how to keep people safe from sexual assaults, continuing to say the same stupid thing - that the best way to stop rape is to stop rape.

Yeah, and the best way to stop sexism is to stop sexism. The best way to stop your basement from flooding is to stop floods. The best way to stop terrorism is to stop terrorism. Ridiculous.

You haven't posted one thing indicating you genuinely care about women. You've posted plenty to lead me to believe you just have some beef against men.
I believe it's anti-man to insist that they just can't help themselves around defenseless women and that rape is to be expected. It's anti-man to me to postulate that if a woman passes out near a group of men, it's normal and natural for at least one of them to have his way with her. If I'm misandrist for expecting more from men than that, color me guilty.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:26 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,276,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I believe it's anti-man to insist that they just can't help themselves around defenseless women and that rape is to be expected. It's anti-man to me to postulate that if a woman passes out near a group of men, it's normal and natural for at least one of them to have his way with her. If I'm misandrist for expecting more from men than that, color me guilty.
My husband, who has been reading over my shoulder, gives you two thumbs up for this post!

Old 06-11-2016, 06:33 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,397,911 times
Quote:
I'm not defending a rapist. I'm not defending his actions. He got what he deserved.
He didn't, really. He got a "now, now...don't be a naughty boy!" from the judge.

He will spend barely any time behind bars. And by all public accounts, he is as unrepentant about his role in all of this as are his two disgusting parents, who put their son on a pedestal while whole-heartedly ignoring the rape victim.

The same factors - alcohol, drugs - that are used to blame the victim for her role in the assault are the SAME ones that are then used to coddle the assailant and ensure he gets an exceedingly light sentence.

I will find that petition to get a recall on that judge and sign it. Not sure that it will help any, but it's all I can do.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:38 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,514,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You really are grasping. A judge doesn't go out and get the opinions of other judges before he sentences in criminal cases. If he did that he'd be so slow, he'd never get any work done. He instead relies on the pre-sentence report. This report is so critical because it is really the only non-biased and neutral information that the judge gets. Letters from the victim and her family are biased one way. Statements from the prosecutor are biased his way. Letters from the offenders family are biased another way. Statements from the defense attorney are biased another way.

Being a trial court judge is tough, difficult work. It is often gut-wrenching because it involves balancing a victim's interest against societal interest against the offender's interests. All have to be considered and taken into account if justice is to rendered.

There is also a concept called "judicial independence" which just seems beyond the ability of some people here to understand. Judges ought to be free to make tough decisions without fear of repercussions from power special interests in the community. This concept is treated in different ways. In the federal courts, judges are given an appointment for life and can only be removed through impeachment by the U.S. Senate. California allows its judges to be elected. I believe the recall election is a poor device when it comes to judges. Judges knowing they are subject to recall are less likely to be independent and more likely to worry about being beholden to every special interest in a community.

This concept of judicial independence is more important than the outcome of any one case.

Sigh...another person who is so worked up about one case that they just don't get it.

Not all of your colleagues agree with you.

After 6-Month Sentence, The Push To Recall Judge Aaron Persky In Stanford Rape Case : NPR

Old 06-11-2016, 06:39 PM

35,382 posts, read 20,756,414 times
Quote:
let's cut the bs and stop calling this guy a rapist. I highly doubt he busted his ass off in high school to get to Stanford and get convicted of sexual assault behind a dumpster?

He's disgusting, stupid, *******, but not a rapist. If he were a rapist, he would have whipped it out and stuck it in her to feel good. Instead, he took some pictures, touched her boobs, put some foreign objects in her, maybe even his finger. To me, he was having drunk stupid freshman weird bizarre fun which cost him everything he's worked for his entire life. This stupidity is legendary, parents should make sure any sons going to college do not end up like this guy.

The victim? 26 year old woman attending a frat party? I've never heard of 26 year old working professionals attending a frat party with their younger sisters. Also a dummy (went to UC Santa Barbara, what do you expect), but I can sympathize with her. Brock messed her up, but she is also somewhat accountable: walked withhim and drank herself unconscious. Brock didn't carry her from the party to behind that dumpster and do his weird stupid ****.

3 months, 6 months is about right. 14 years in prison for groping and doingstupid weird, bizarre ****? I don't think so. Stop calling this guy a rapist, which he is clearly not.
If he touched that girl with out her consent he is a rapist. There is a very hard defined black line. No grey areas!!! Behind a dumpster with an uncouncious girl. Nah. And many preppys from college are nasty greedy scum. College degree has nothing to do with moral fiber. College rapes are. Up!!! And this justifying is sickening ! Sickening !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies