Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 04:28 AM

521 posts, read 292,670 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why rape is not a serious crime in the US !!! this is ridiculous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 04:43 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
I don't understand why rape is not a serious crime in the US !!! this is ridiculous
It is a serious crime.

There was no rape in this case.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:54 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times
So when he photographed her breasts he couldn't see that she was passed out? Even if she wanted the sex, shouldn't he at least have asked her if it was okay to photograph her? I know younger people are used to photographing and documenting everything, but since she was a stranger and he didn't know anything about her, shouldn't he have asked? And do you think she could have/did consent to this and his sharing with his swim team buddies?

As for the hated of rich white heterosexual males with blond hair and blue eyes from elite universities, seems like the women's swim team also hates Brock...and they most likely fit the same profile, except for being female.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
Where do you get the idea rape is not considered a serious crime in the US?

Old 06-17-2016, 06:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

I said "people who commit crimes like the one described in the Rolling Stone account". And yes, such crimes certainly do occur. I have seen many reports of women being held for hours while they were raped and beaten by multiple attackers.
But you can't seem to find one account to make a comparison with. You resort to fiction. That's like, "which is worse, stranger abduction or abduction by aliens?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Would you agree that the second she passed out, consent stopped? That even if she had begged for it a minute before, once she passed out she was no longer giving consent? How would he know if he was hurting her or she no longer wanted to continue? (I understand he wouldn't care---he wasn't looking for a partner to have a mutually satisfying 20 minutes of action with, but you get my point).

No evidence of guilt, huh? Interesting that a nonguilty guy would run away when caught....
No, dechatelet wouldn't agree with any of that.

And apparently the jury of Brock's peers found plenty of evidence of guilt, as he was convicted of three counts of felony sexual assault.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:32 AM

521 posts, read 292,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Where do you get the idea rape is not considered a serious crime in the US?
From the statistics and the news. The number of sexual assaults , rapes, or even the number of times a woman walking in the streets hearing dirty comments is very high. Imo the laws should be really strict about it and women have the right to feal safe walking alone at night

Old 06-17-2016, 08:15 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
And there is no evidence that the fondling DIDN'T start out as mutual.

And there's no evidence that she DIDN'T consent.

I guess you don't understand the concept in criminal law of "innocent, unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt."

There was not only no proof of guilt in this case, there wasn't even evidence of guilt.
Even if she really did consent to hooking up with a stranger, in the alley, behind a dumpster while she was too drunk to speak properly, that consent ended when she passed out. There certainly was enough evidence that he was guilty of sexual assault. The jury convicted him due to the evidence.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:18 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:

The only people who believe this are the ones who actively practice forcing themselves on passed out women.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:31 AM

19,630 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
It is a serious crime.

So is felony sexual assault. Reasonable people recognize that and the judge did not disagree with the verdict or try to set it aside. He simply reduced the sentence to basically nothing emphasizing the impact a prison sentence would have on the perpetrator. So here we all are.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:01 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I'd like to put that question to everyone else commenting here. Do you recognize degree of severity in sexual assault and rape? Is that even a legitimate concept for you which is relevant to the appropriate punishment? Is what happened at Stanford equal, in your mind, to what happened in the fictional UVA gang rape? If Brock Turner deserves a long prison term, what do people who commit crimes like the one described in the Rolling Stone account deserve?
I have no problem with the question involving an actual case vs a fictional one for the sake of example, and I'm not a legal expert, but I think the appropriate sentence should be applied in any case of proven sexual assault and/or rape, on top of which degrees or counts of additional acts that aggravate the basic charge of sexual assault and/or rape should be considered.

For example, conviction of a "date rape," be X time in jail. "Date rape" with the use of drugs to incapacitate the victim (AKA Cosby foreplay), be X time in jail + Y time in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies