Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2016, 11:19 PM

477 posts, read 276,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What I find humorous is that you guys are scared to death of losing your guns when it will never happen
"A colored President, that'll be the day!" - paraphrased from 'Back to the Future,' 1985.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

"Television won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night." - Darryl Zanuck, executive at 20th Century Fox, 1946

I wish I could have found more quotes about the impossibility of terrorists destroying the World Trade Center with hijacked planes, or when everyone in the world knew the earth was flat, or that we'd never go into outer space.

It's not that we're *scared* to death of losing our right to bear arms, it's that we'd rather not be made criminals at the stroke of a pen, due to the actions of people who are NOT us. Tell me something, do you drive a car? How would you like it if we decided you could no longer own or drive that car because your neighbor drove while intoxicated and killed some innocent pedestrians. What did you have to do with that, you cry? Well, you own a car, therefor, you're lumped in with the guilty. As for me, well, work and everything I need is within walking distance, so why should I care for your *right* to own or use a car, not to mention how angry I am that someone with a car killed those innocent pedestrians. I'm going to ignore that neighbor who plowed into them and instead focus my anger on anyone else who drives a car who HASN'T KILLED ANY PEDESTRIANS... YET.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 11:41 PM

572 posts, read 279,974 times
You're saying that the left is using a straw man because they're arguing the government doesn't want to pass a law that will take your guns away, but you're actually concerned about the government taking your guns away after passing a series of laws that have the same effect?

It's not a straw man because the result is the same. You've just replaced one single sweeping reform (that isn't going to happen) with a series of smaller reforms (which also aren't going to happen).

This is a slippery slope fallacy.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:38 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Quote:
sensing her avoidance, stephanopoulos posed the question again, saying, “do you believe…that an individual’s right to bear arms is a constitutional right?”

clinton responded, “if it is a constitutional right, then it–like every constitutional right–is subject to reasonable regulation.”

IF it is a constitutional right?!?

Old 06-06-2016, 07:33 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post
You're saying that the left is using a straw man because they're arguing the government doesn't want to pass a law that will take your guns away, but you're actually concerned about the government taking your guns away after passing a series of laws that have the same effect?

It's not a straw man because the result is the same. You've just replaced one single sweeping reform (that isn't going to happen) with a series of smaller reforms (which also aren't going to happen).

This is a slippery slope fallacy.

The chances of success of anti-gun legislation, or the size and scope of any one piece of legislation or SC ruling is irrelevant.

It is the anti-gun Left's intent of attaining their goals and the mere fact that those goals exist...whether those goals are achieved by sweeping legislation or by a series of baby steps makes the argument that no one is literally taking guns a strawman.

Just because there is no confiscation going on yet doesn't mean that they aren't working towards that goal or other scenarios that would have the same end results.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:48 AM

643 posts, read 471,556 times
The left does not know nor do they under stand gun owners. They lie with "most gun owners want gun control" BS. Nope not even close. Is the left trying to take away guns? No doubt they are. They have however for the most part given up the lest ban all guns except for the most rabid gun hater. What they have taken up is the chipping away at the block. Lets do this one "common sense" law then the next and the next. Its the long slippery slope to a gun ban. Heller has given them a new fight. To stack the SCOTUS and then reverse that ruling. Another of their new strategies is to enact laws they can not get passed on a Federal level, enacted city by city or state by state. Do they want to ban all guns? This is what they want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffI-tWh37UY

Old 06-06-2016, 08:28 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
The misleading aspect is that voters interpret "death from gun violence" as "murder". Self-inflicted and accidentally-inflicted deaths should not count in a political discussion about restricting firearms.

I wonder why the left NEVER ask, "just where do gang members get their guns?"

Old 06-06-2016, 09:20 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
The misleading aspect is that voters interpret "death from gun violence" as "murder". Self-inflicted and accidentally-inflicted deaths should not count in a political discussion about restricting firearms.

I wonder why the left NEVER ask, "just where do gang members get their guns?"

Well of course the left has asked, so has the right. This is why the argument "strict gun laws in Chicago don't work" is absurd. There have already been many studies addressing that issue, they come from out of state mostly from states with relaxed gun laws. Notice NY, CT, CA don't make the top 15.

The top 15 source states for Illinois crime guns, 2010–2014:
  • Indiana 3,269
  • Mississippi 1,002
  • Wisconsin 898
  • Missouri 780
  • Kentucky 503
  • Tennessee 459
  • Georgia 453
  • Ohio 448
  • Texas 444
  • Florida 439
  • Michigan 365
  • Iowa 344
  • Alabama 315
  • Arkansas 280
  • Other 407*

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/11/chi...s-trafficking/

Old 06-06-2016, 09:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I don't have an issue with using those numbers however they need to make clear what they represent. When someone says there was 30K+ gun deaths most people don't realize about 2/3's are suicides. The other thing is the use of the term homicide and homicide statistics, when a cop or a person justifiably shoots and kills someone that is a homicide.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:40 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't have an issue with using those numbers however they need to make clear what they represent. When someone says there was 30K+ gun deaths most people don't realize about 2/3's are suicides. The other thing is the use of the term homicide and homicide statistics, when a cop or a person justifiably shoots and kills someone that is a homicide.
No one uses terminology more fast and loose than a politician with an agenda.

....lies, damn lies and statistics , as they say.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:50 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
As a gun owner, CCW holder and collector of fine military weapons over a 40 year period, I must clarify the situation by noting that there has not been one federal gun control law passed in this nation for over 15 years. Any and all gun control laws have been passed on the individual state level. Many of these states have republican administrations who could recind these laws if they cared to. State's rights and all that, you know.
" noting that there has not been one federal gun control law passed in this nation for over 15 years."

BUT, NOT for a LACK of trying.

The reasons are 2, IMO

1. The dems got trashed in the election AFTER the Clinton so called "Assault Gun Ban" law was PASSED.

2. The dems leadership WANTED it but, IMO some dems were afraid of what had happened after the first one and would hurt their re-elction chances again.

"the Assault Weapons Ban of 2013, failed on a vote of 40 in favor to 60 in opposition. It was supported by Democrat Reid and Republican Senator Mark Kirk, but 15 Democrats, one independent, and all the Republicans except Kirk voted against the ban.[32]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assaul...ns_Ban_of_2013
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies