U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 03:54 PM

7,465 posts, read 3,957,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
in Chicongo ?

Gun-Controlled Chicago: ‘Nearly 400’ Shot And 66 Killed In May 2016
The violence brought Chicago’s 2016 death toll to “at least 250”
What is your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 04:31 PM

9,984 posts, read 6,759,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
What is your point?
maybe the welfare state which rewards people for doing nothing
doesn't breed high quality citizens. no maybe.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:42 PM

23,399 posts, read 28,234,455 times
Quote:
Show me where Michelle Obama was "soaking 'whitey' for his guilt."

She was praising America and the American Dream.

Public education is our greatest pathway to opportunity in America. So we need to invest in and strengthen our public universities today, and for generations to come. (Applause.) That is how you will do your part to live up to the oath that you all will take here today –- the oath taken by generations of graduates before you to make your city and your world “greater, better, and more beautiful.”
More than anything else, graduates, that is the American story. It’s your story and the story of those who came before you at this school. It’s the story of the son of Polish immigrants named Jonas Salk who toiled for years in a lab until he discovered a vaccine that saved countless lives. It’s the story of the son of immigrant -- Jamaican immigrants named Colin Powell who became a four star general, Secretary of State, and a role model for young people across the country.
And, graduates, it’s the story that I witness every single day when I wake up in a house that was built by slaves, and I watch my daughters –- two beautiful, black young women -– head off to school -- (applause) -- waving goodbye to their father, the President of the United States, the son of a man from Kenya who came here to American -- to America for the same reasons as many of you: To get an education and improve his prospects in life.
So, graduates, while I think it’s fair to say that our Founding Fathers never could have imagined this day, all of you are very much the fruits of their vision. Their legacy is very much your legacy and your inheritance. And don’t let anybody tell you differently. You are the living, breathing proof that the American Dream endures in our time. It’s you.
So I want you all to go out there. Be great. Build great lives for yourselves. Enjoy the liberties that you have in this great country. Pursue your own version of happiness. And please, please, always, always do your part to help others do the same.
Remove the reference to slavery. Is what she said no longer "praising America and the American Dream"?

Old 06-06-2016, 05:16 PM

10,218 posts, read 6,792,554 times
It's amusing how many folks get their panties in a wad when they feel like black folks are lecturing them.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:05 PM

9,423 posts, read 10,181,013 times
As I drive around a see new buildings, hotels and schools being built I can imagine one day an important Hispanic individual will say "every day I go to work in a building built by illegal immigrants” all kidding aside, when I was in South Africa I looked at all the magnificent buildings in downtown Johannesburg and asked "did black people build all this" The Zulu Business man shook his head and was pleased or maybe proud that I was impressed with the fact.

Slaves built the Pyramids, Asians got blown up building our railroads, and so did the Irish, (drill ‘ye tarriers drill”)
That's who builds things throughout history, people on the lowest rung of society, slaves and immigrants, Its dirty ,hard and dangerous work.

She probably got her Law Degree in building that slaves built. Sometimes you can tell when people get too far off the ground when they make statements like that before they give much thought to the idea. Excuse her she just had an "Oprah minute." That's my definition of when a black person makes like they are the only black person who has had this experience.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:11 PM

35,216 posts, read 19,272,053 times
Quote:
And you would have to listen to more than a sound bite to understand the context of her statement. She was praising America.
Exactly.

There's no controversy here.

But the right wing Obamaphobes twist themselves inside out trying to manufacture phony "scandals."

Michelle has been a very classy first lady, and they despise her for it.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
maybe the welfare state which rewards people for doing nothing
doesn't breed high quality citizens. no maybe.
So you would prefer Michelle Obama to be critical on America?

Old 06-06-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Remove the reference to slavery. Is what she said no longer "praising America and the American Dream"?
Sure there is a lot of other praise for America in her speech. However, referring slavery in the context of her speech is something Americans should be proud of. Not sure why we would want to hide it.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:57 PM

23,924 posts, read 11,907,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Michelle Obama went to City College of New York and told the graduating students that she is living in a house built by slaves. This speech happened on June 4, 2016. Here is video of that speach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR2CVQ5jmn0
She and her idiot husband should move out to truly express their outrage. To stay would be hypocritical.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:47 AM

10,218 posts, read 6,792,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
She and her idiot husband should move out to truly express their outrage. To stay would be hypocritical.

That's the pot calling the kettle black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or