U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 02:48 PM

5,432 posts, read 4,085,261 times

Advertisements

Maybe some realize that continuing to dig at old scars do nothing but prevent them from healing...... which is exactly the purpose behind doing it. You can't move forward with anything when you can't see beyond the past.

Here's a thought...... how do you propose we end racism and get everyone to come together as a group of people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 02:54 PM

7,465 posts, read 3,961,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I took out ALL mention of race. See the difference? I didn't pick or choose one. I took out ALL race and made it a speech to Americans.
Her speech was to Americans. No Americans were excluded from her speech. Many of the Americans graduating could relate to the references she was making because they were similar to their own stories.

I found the version Michelle gave much more compelling and inspirational and a way for graduates to tie their own stories with those of prior graduates.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:57 PM

5,432 posts, read 4,085,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Her speech was to black Americans. No Americans were excluded from her speech. Many of the Americans graduating could relate to the references she was making because they were similar to their own stories.

I found the version Michelle gave much more compelling and inspirational and a way for graduates to tie their own stories with those of prior graduates.
Fixed that for you. She made it clear who that speech was directed at. It is literally spelled out for you multiple times if you read it.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:02 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,930,874 times
Quote:
Maybe some realize that continuing to dig at old scars do nothing but prevent them from healing...... which is exactly the purpose behind doing it. You can't move forward with anything when you can't see beyond the past.

Here's a thought...... how do you propose we end racism and get everyone to come together as a group of people?
You can't heal racism by denying it exists and pretending like the past never happened. It's easier for whites to pretend because they weren't on the receiving end. Not to mention racism is still alive.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Then you would be comfortable with a First Lady giving a commencement speech in which she talked about her slave owning ancestors and the contributions they made to the US after the Civil War?

You can't pick and choose, either.

The fact that this thread even exists proves how divisive Mrs. Obama's rhetoric is.
Her speech was not a dissertation on the Civil War, Slavery, or the history of the White House.

The fact that this thread exists proves something, but it is not how divisive Michelle's comments were. In the context they were given here comments were a celebration of how far America has come since the days of slavery and the positive impact immigrants to this country have had.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Fixed that for you. She made it clear who that speech was directed at. It is literally spelled out for you multiple times if you read it.
I read the whole thing and it clearly was not to only for Black Americans. Nor was it anti-white.

From her speech.
Just look around. Look at who you are. Look at where we’re gathered today. As the President eloquently said, at this school, you represent more than 150 nationalities. You speak more than 100 different languages -- whoa, just stop there. You represent just about every possible background -– every color and culture, every faith and walk of life. And you’ve taken so many different paths to this moment.
this school was the gateway to actually realizing that opportunity in their lives, founded on the fundamental truth that talent and ambition know no distinctions of race, nationality, wealth, or fame, and dedicated to the ideals that our Founding Fathers put forth more than two centuries ago: That we are all created equal, all entitled to “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” City College became a haven for brilliant, motivated students of every background, a place where they didn’t have to hide their last names or their accents, or put on any kind of airs because the students at this school were selected based not on pedigree, but on merit, and merit alone.
Just take the example of the great American lyricist, Ira Gershwin, who attended City College a century ago. The son of a Russian-Jewish immigrant, his songs still light up Broadway today. Or consider the story of the former CEO of Intel, Andrew Grove, class of 1960. (Applause.) He was a Hungarian immigrant whose harrowing escape from Nazism and communism shaped both his talent for business and his commitment to philanthropy.
And just think about the students in this very graduating class –- students like the economics and pre-law major from Albania, who also completed the requirements for a philosophy major and dreams of being a public intellectual. The educational theater student from right here in Harlem who’s already an award-winning playwright and recently spoke at the White House. The biomedical science major who was born in Afghanistan and plans to be a doctor, a policy maker and an educator. (Applause.) And your salutatorian, whose Yemeni roots inspired her to study Yemini women’s writing and to advocate for girls in her community, urging them to find their own voices, to tell their own stories. I could go on.

How is this anti-white or only for Black Americans. It is kind of tragic that what she said can be characterized by some as an attack on white people.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:46 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,493,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
You can't heal racism by denying it exists and pretending like the past never happened. It's easier for whites to pretend because they weren't on the receiving end. Not to mention racism is still alive.
I don't deny racism is alive and well in the USA. Barack and Michelle are the leaders of the racism movement. They are the most racist people to ever occupy the White House.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:51 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,493,451 times

Old 06-07-2016, 08:53 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,705,617 times
typical obama non-sense.. I wouldn't expect anything less out of her mouth. Her and her husband bring race into everything . Obama has divided America so bad, I don't know if it is repairable . I am counting down the days until he is gone. He will being trying to do as much damage as he can before he is removed from office. They are the racist ones.....

Old 06-07-2016, 10:42 PM

20,675 posts, read 8,826,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
typical obama non-sense.. I wouldn't expect anything less out of her mouth. Her and her husband bring race into everything . Obama has divided America so bad, I don't know if it is repairable . I am counting down the days until he is gone. He will being trying to do as much damage as he can before he is removed from office. They are the racist ones.....
Obama's presidency brought up race front and center when it had always been whispered about. America was always divided before that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or