Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 04:14 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,506,290 times

Advertisements

Michelle should be proud her ancestors built her such a beautiful home... And below cost too... Great businessmen back then...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 06:41 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Again, the obvious flies right over your head... but then, you post on script.

Having an honest conversation is not in your wheelhouse... go figure

ob·liv·i·ous
adjective: oblivious
not aware of or not concerned about what is happening around one.

Comprehension is your friend

...of course, when you have nothing to say, just start typing.
Mmh, except I have been very critical of Obama. Just don't get the outrage on this...

Old 06-11-2016, 08:41 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Michelle should be proud her ancestors built her such a beautiful home... And below cost too... Great businessmen back then...
Yes, no doubt you too would be proud if your ancestors were chained, beaten, bred, and killed like livestock.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:45 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry, it was a statement that is not needed and she would have been better off not making it. First of all, you said it yourself, so this isn't news and secondly it is time to get over what happened 150 years ago and third, to many, comments like that show she has a chip on her shoulder, just like she has shown ever since her husband decided to run for President. I can only say one positive thing about her: I think her cause, better nutrition for children and fighting weight in children is as good as any presidents wife introduced.

trlhiker: I don't care how good the speech was and she is a good speaker: the comment should never have been made.
Yes, let's sweep that inconvenient oppressive history under the rug! We should speak around it in hushed tones!

Old 06-11-2016, 09:07 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Me: I wake up in a country that is being destroyed everyday by people who are obsessed with people who used to be slaves.

Last edited by PullMyFinger; 06-11-2016 at 09:24 PM..

Old 06-11-2016, 10:56 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default Envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
There sure are many people that wish she wasn't waking up in a free house paid for by the taxpayers. She's such a victim of racism... oh my. If she were still in Africa, she might still be a slave.
Or, she might be married to an African President.
Envy is such an ugly trait.
That's right, Mrs. Obama wakes up in the WH in spite of everything that was done to her people historically by bitter, envious, insecure people.
Mrs. Obama's children know who their father is.
Mrs. Obama is the first lady of the most powerful country in the world not to mention the most highly-desired-to-immigrate-to-country in the world.
Ain't life wonderful?

The first shall be last and the last shall be FIRST. It has happened!

Old 06-12-2016, 03:46 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,506,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yes, no doubt you too would be proud if your ancestors were chained, beaten, bred, and killed like livestock.
Yiu have proof hers were? And killed?. You have listening to too much Oprah. Go read historical facts. Not everything you want to believe of slavery is what actually happened.
And dont for a second think I am condoning ownership of humans. EVER

Old 06-12-2016, 04:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
She never should have talked about the positive changes that have occurred in America? Why not? Why not praise America for the land of opportunity for all that America has become.
Had this been the only time a comment like that had come out and in a positive way I would agree, but it is and it really wasn't. Call it PC if necessary, but there are places and times to make comments. As I mentioned this certainly isn't the first time she has shown her racial side.

ambient: I never said that; but some of you seem to want to put her is the same category with MLK when he said "I have a dream" I don't think most of us considered him racist, he did it in a positive way, she doesn't have the ability to say or do too much in a positive way: more a "look at me" way.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:19 AM

1 posts, read 511 times
Default Intent is only for M. Obama to reveal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yes, let's sweep that inconvenient oppressive history under the rug! We should speak around it in hushed tones!

I don't think this responder is saying to sweep black history under the rug or speak in hushed tones. But, have you ever noticed that anything put under a strong bright light appears bigger than it actually is. The focus is on only that which is highlighted. This can be great, but imperfections are also emphasized and faults are singled out. Differences are then emphasized and our focus changes. Commonalities and mutual ground are lost. Additionally, other groups (i.e. the Irish, the Native American, etc) are diminished and degraded when the emphasis is too much on one group. There should be, in my opinion, an equal display and honoring of all cultures, races, and histories. We can all be part of the division or unity of the human race by actively honoring people more than just ourselves.

Last edited by sierrasunset; 06-13-2016 at 03:31 AM..

Old 06-13-2016, 07:24 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The problem is that so many are using that bad history to rub white peoples noses in. As if they had anything to do with it.

Be honest here... there are black power extremist/racist groups, like the New Black Panthers, who take their own black supremacy as far as their white counterparts. THere's a lot of black folks looking to make a buck off slavery through reparations, which is more nose rubbing. The uber PC mentally ill progressives give them a pass, while at the same time dividing us and stoking the flames of racism which had been all but snuffed out.

I believe white folks are tired of being the scapegoats for something they had no part of. I know my white ancestors (I'm a full on mutt) were busy being slaves to Russian masters before escaping to the US. I'm fairly certain my ancestry (black, white, and brown) all have much in common WITH black slaves through history.

Yet, I could just as easily be blamed simply because I have light skin.

I think most whites are just sick of being blamed for things they worked hard to change, and most guilty would be those irrational progressives full of totalitarian ignorance.
On the above, I think you and others are putting a "scapegoat" title on yourself, not the other way around.

As I stated in the quote of which you highlighted, I am a history nerd and especially so on black American history. It is a fascinating, uplifting subject to me and in many ways shows what you stated above in regards to the blue bold - portrays our commonality as Americans.

The New Black Panthers are a fringe organization and are not popular with black Americans by and large. "Reparations" will NEVER be paid to black Americans and so is a moot item to discuss.

Yet, our country was built on oppression of other groups - black and non-black, and that history IMO should be spoken about.

I find it ironic that many times conservatives in todays day and age will claim some sort of victimization based on non-PC words that they say. They feel that they are "vicitmized" because they give a true opinion regarding specific biases like wanting to profile Muslims for example, yet many are VERY weak in ego in regards to the discrimination of black people. They want us to "forget" slavery or stop talking about it, basically to shut us up and ignore it and the post-slavery institutional racism that did not end in this country until recently (the 1980s in regards to housing discrimination and IMO ongoing in regards to our criminal justice system).

To formulate solutions to specific ailments of our society, we MUST study our history. There is an old cliched saying that I feel is very true:

Those who forget history are destined to repeat it.

I personally feel as a nation, we have come a long way and that our evolution is this regard is a wonderful thing. So IMO it is wonderful to state that our nation's home, The White House, was built primarily by slave labor. That statement in itself shows our nation's progress and that progress is something to be proud of and build upon. People who want to ignore it and the evolution of women's rights IMO have personal issues and cannot see beyond their personal biases and prejudices of other groups of people. It should never make a white man, for instance, upset that our country used to have slaves and used to heavily oppress women. IMO it should make him glad that he lives in an era where both of those do not occur in the wide scale that they did in the past. They don't because of people like him who are now aware that that sort of oppression and discrimination is harmful to those groups and to our nation as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies