U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 08:50 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,658,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yes, no doubt you too would be proud if your ancestors were chained, beaten, bred, and killed like livestock.
Are you saying EVERY black person is connected to slavery?
What does it do for the kids that have not thought this way and now they think they have slave ancestors, when possibly they had none?
Is her speech creating future haters or a peacekeepers?

It would be nice if the First Lady realized she is taking away credit from working slaves who possibly were proud to be part of the nicest buildings in the USA today, until the Obamas arrived and have stated otherwise.

https://www.whitehousehistory.org/qu...he-white-house
The D.C. commissioners, charged by Congress with building the new city under the direction of the president, initially planned to import workers from Europe to meet their labor needs. However, response to recruitment was dismal and soon they turned to African American—enslaved and free—to provide the bulk of labor that built the White House, the United States Capitol, and other early government buildings.
Stonemason Collen Williamson trained enslaved people on the spot at the government's quarry at Aquia, Virginia. Enslaved people quarried and cut the rough stone that was later dressed and laid by Scottish masons to erect the walls of the President's House. The slaves joined a work force that included local white laborers and artisans from Maryland and Virginia, as well as immigrants from Ireland, Scotland, and other European nations.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 08:56 AM

21,660 posts, read 11,125,856 times
Michelle still has slaves in the white house who have to clean, cook , dress her and direct them in the white house..

Old 06-15-2016, 08:42 PM

1,819 posts, read 716,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Trump isn't a bigot. That's just something the loony far left dems have invented because they don't want to discuss the horrible policies of their chosen one.

Michelle, like you, is someone who falsely plays the race card. Like she's really really felt those hardships. I imagine being in a soroity in an elite university must have been real hard on her, the poor thing.
Do you actually listen to Donald Trump? He is very much a bigot. And we have a sordid history of mistreating certain groups that should be discussed and discussed often. We should never repeat it. What is wrong with mentioning it, whether she has personally prospered in this country or not? As the first African-American First Lady would it be better if she said nothing about it? Why is it that so many on the right seem to want that?

Old 06-16-2016, 05:29 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,421,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Do you actually listen to Donald Trump? He is very much a bigot. And we have a sordid history of mistreating certain groups that should be discussed and discussed often. We should never repeat it. What is wrong with mentioning it, whether she has personally prospered in this country or not? As the first African-American First Lady would it be better if she said nothing about it? Why is it that so many on the right seem to want that?
Maybe people don't care for her because they know she enjoyed the benefits of living in this country while she was harboring resentment and never was proud of this country until..."..for the first time in my life..."
You recall that revealing statement.

She's a bitter woman, first lady or not.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:47 AM

21,660 posts, read 11,125,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Me: I wake up in a country that is being destroyed everyday by people who are obsessed with people who used to be slaves.
I worked in a sweat shop and was a slave for a dollar.. does that count? I am white. I was paid a dollar an hour in the 1960's.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:17 AM

15,449 posts, read 7,883,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrasunset View Post
I don't think this responder is saying to sweep black history under the rug or speak in hushed tones. But, have you ever noticed that anything put under a strong bright light appears bigger than it actually is. The focus is on only that which is highlighted. This can be great, but imperfections are also emphasized and faults are singled out. Differences are then emphasized and our focus changes. Commonalities and mutual ground are lost. Additionally, other groups (i.e. the Irish, the Native American, etc) are diminished and degraded when the emphasis is too much on one group. There should be, in my opinion, an equal display and honoring of all cultures, races, and histories. We can all be part of the division or unity of the human race by actively honoring people more than just ourselves.

IMO that is exactly what that poster is saying and what you are alluding to. You feel all types of discrimination should be lumped together when discussing them and IMO with your post above implied that if we speak about slavery then we also need to speak about Native Americans and the Irish in the same way.

FYI, Natives and the Irish and the Italians and Jews and Germans and Polish, Latinos, Chinese, Japanese, Filipinos, etc., all have different types of stories as Americans and IMO they should be spoken of separately first, as if you don't speak of them separately, you leave out much of the experience of these groups.

And FWIW, I find it ironic that you said the above when Mrs. Obama's speech actually primarily focused on the immigrant experience and the history of the University at which she spoke of educating American immigrants. Only one piece of one sentence even referenced slavery, yet everyone is getting their underwear/panties all bunched up about it.

IMO as a black person who, as stated is very much into black history to where I love talking about it and writing about it, I am always astounded by the fact that many white people don't want black people to mention anything about slavery. They really don't want to hear about it and any mention of the subject, like what occurred to Mrs. Obama is either taken by some segment of our white population of "harping" on slavery or as some sort of "racist" statement when all anyone did was speak about history lol.

I find it rather ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Are you saying EVERY black person is connected to slavery?
What does it do for the kids that have not thought this way and now they think they have slave ancestors, when possibly they had none?
Is her speech creating future haters or a peacekeepers?

It would be nice if the First Lady realized she is taking away credit from working slaves who possibly were proud to be part of the nicest buildings in the USA today, until the Obamas arrived and have stated otherwise.

https://www.whitehousehistory.org/qu...he-white-house
The D.C. commissioners, charged by Congress with building the new city under the direction of the president, initially planned to import workers from Europe to meet their labor needs. However, response to recruitment was dismal and soon they turned to African American—enslaved and free—to provide the bulk of labor that built the White House, the United States Capitol, and other early government buildings.
Stonemason Collen Williamson trained enslaved people on the spot at the government's quarry at Aquia, Virginia. Enslaved people quarried and cut the rough stone that was later dressed and laid by Scottish masons to erect the walls of the President's House. The slaves joined a work force that included local white laborers and artisans from Maryland and Virginia, as well as immigrants from Ireland, Scotland, and other European nations.

Every black American person who has ancestry in this country greater than 100 years is connected to slavery in regards to the bold.

I have mentioned I have a great degree of free people of color ancestry. I am black, and my mother's family were primarily free people (who actually probably do have a connection to slavery prior to the Revolution, I just have not found anything linking them with being enslaved) but there are a couple lines on that side who were enslaved in NC. On my father's side, my ancestors were primarily enslaved persons but I do have one line of that family which have roots in the country as free people who were desended of a white indentured woman so they have always been free. However the father of this child, who was stated was "negro" was not named and he very well may have been a slave in the 1600s. That line married early into a family who was descended of a white man, a Scot, who married a "mullatto" woman. So only on this branch of my paternal line were there free people. Everyone else was enslaved and there is nothing wrong with that.

Slavery did happen in the US. No matter how much you all don't want to talk about it or hear any black person talk about it, it did happen and really you should just get over it. Ironically it seems more white people versus black IMO haven't "gotten over slavery."

In regards to the slaves at the White House being "proud" of working on it. I'm sure many were. Just like as someone who is descended of slaves, I am "proud" of them for their strength and courage under a system that relegated them as livestock. Their perseverance and actions in regards to surviving, advocating for, and physically fighting for our "freedom" is inspiring. And FWIW, free people of color were primarily heavily abolitionist focused, they fought in the Civil War in large numbers and they ran portions of the Underground Railroad and defended escaped slaves from people attempting to re-enslave them. They also were heavily involved with missionary societies, who after the Civil War set out to educate the formerly enslaved populations. Many of the early negro leaders in America in the late 19th and early 20th century were the descendants of free people of color. They also were heavily discriminated against in early America whereby many were not allowed to vote, they were not allowed to own guns, they were not allowed to sit on a jury, they had to pay a "tax" just to live in certain states, etc. They had hardly any rights, which made them very active in working toward abolition and the establishment of civil rights for all black Americans.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:29 AM

8,615 posts, read 2,474,427 times
Mrs. Obama doesn't have to wake up there everyday. She is free to live else where. The fact that she insists on beating a dead horse has gotten old.
Ok your ancestors were slaves. Most whites don't have ancestors who were slave owners.
I don't feel guilty for what happened over 150 years ago.
We have learned from it and it can't happen again.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Mrs. Obama doesn't have to wake up there everyday. She is free to live else where. The fact that she insists on beating a dead horse has gotten old.
Ok your ancestors were slaves. Most whites don't have ancestors who were slave owners.
I don't feel guilty for what happened over 150 years ago.
We have learned from it and it can't happen again.
Again, an example of how people don't ever want a black person to speak about slavery lol!

It was half a sentence and not "beating" anyone up about it.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:30 PM

13,153 posts, read 17,421,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Again, an example of how people don't ever want a black person to speak about slavery lol!

It was half a sentence and not "beating" anyone up about it.
There are other 'half sentences' over time, even complete sentences and references to same as well, with an undercurrent of anger and/or resentment.

Time to get over it and move on. That's the only way to heal and unite.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
There are other 'half sentences' over time, even complete sentences and references to same as well, with an undercurrent of anger and/or resentment.

Time to get over it and move on. That's the only way to heal and unite.
You should take your own advice in regards to the bold.

I believe that similar to myself, Michelle Obama takes great inspiration from enslaved American's perseverance and strength.

Perseverance, strength, and courage in the face of adversity are all things that should never be silenced in regards to speaking about people who helped to build this country. And it is not a negative thing that they were black and only people who are ignorant IMO want to ignore that slavery existed in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or