U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 11:02 AM

15,412 posts, read 7,876,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
So then why do blacks keep beating the drum about whites oppressing them?

Sorry that I deem to speak to someone so much higher than myself, but I have to point out that you've read a lot into my words that isn't there and end up giving a lecture on a soapbox.

Perhaps you are a bit defensive and therefore a bit overreactive?
On the blue, nah...I don't get bothered at all by random internet people.

On the bold, what in your opinion constitutes "beating the drum about whites oppressing" black people?

This thread is about a portion of a sentence that Michelle Obama said "I wake up in a home built by slaves." Is it your contention that this constitutes "beating a drum?" As IMO if you feel that her saying that short phrase is "beating a drum" about "oppression" then you are the one with the issue. What she said is basic history and should not have elicited such a response when her speech was not about slavery, blacks, or oppression.

ETA: As a black person, I know that black people do not speak about whites oppressing us all the time. You may have a few who do, but contrary to what many around here believe, most black Americans are doing fine in their lives. We are majority middle income, we are educated and becoming more educated, we primarily do not live in inner city ghettoes and we have an appreciation for what our ancestors endured in regards to all encompassing oppression and discrimination. Having that appreciation and being grateful for our ancestor's strength in the face of such adversity is not "beating a drum." It is acknowledging the determination, drive, and beautiful-ness of American citizens who just happened to be black. Too often on internet discussions, many people, mostly white people, take any sort of reference we make to our ancestors experiences as what you have described "beating a drum." You would rather us not mention the past or honor American citizens by remembering their experiences IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I appreciate you interest in History and hopefully when you write you are objective. Can you tell us what kind of people owned slaves and what percentage of Americans at that time owned them?
You can find out the information on black people who owned slaves in the link I provided. In regards to whites who owned slaves and natives and others, you can look up that information in various sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 05:34 PM

12,826 posts, read 4,844,736 times
Why would Michelle move? She likes waking up in a house built by slaves. She is celebrating how far Blacks have come. Where her slave ancestors were used to build the house now resides a Black couple as the number one family in the USA.

Quite a nice message.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:34 PM

13,153 posts, read 17,416,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
is that a serious question?

And "blacks"? Which ones? All? Are you aware that there are people of Africa origin who were never enslaved by whites?

Furthermore, it's history. What's the problem with mentioning it? Do you hear Egyptians crying every time Jews and ChristIans preach about and remember the enslavement of the Israelites in Egypt? That was thousands of years ago...

Goodness.
Oh, goodness indeed. Did I say ALL blacks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or