Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 01:23 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Voting in Obama was like America injecting herself with cancer cells. Why did we do this?

Too many White people had drunk the Koolaid they should feel guilty for the state of Black America.

But there is a silver lining. The Obama Presidency has cured them of this hangover.

(Oh and the fact that Obama lucked by facing an over confident Hillary Clinton in the primary and having the hapless McCain as an opponent)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 01:26 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,843,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
What's unfortunate is your inability to differentiate between someone discussing race and someone being racist.

I brought up race because she had every intention to bring up slavery, blacks, and do whatever she could to discuss it. I even went back and took all instances of race out of her speech and reposted it and asked why she couldn't have just made it about everyone instead of making it about race (you can go back and look).

This thread isn't going anywhere. We know who stands where. At this point the mods should just lock it. This is EXACTLY what I mean when I say we're never going to come together as a country. It can't even be done on a forum.
Yes you even took out a reference to a famous Polish immigrant alumni from her speech. I've no idea why Michelle referencing famous alumni in a commencement speech should bother anyone.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:28 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,001,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Never proud of her country until her husband got elected. Yeah, the epitome of class.
Sad how whites will never fully understand this quote and no amount of explaining will help.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:29 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,999,963 times
Michelle Obama's ancestors were slaves, her great-great-great-grandmother Melvinia was a slave who had children by Charles Shields, grandson of Andrew Shields. Andrew Shields was Michelle Obama’s great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather and his family was slave owners, Andrew Shields was an Irish immigrant who fought in the American Revolution as a Georgia resident.

So Michelle is both the descendant of slave owners and a slave.

This information is from Megan Smolenyak, she did the genealogy research on Michelle Obama.
First Lady Michelle Obama

Old 06-07-2016, 01:31 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,918 times
...and served breakfast by a black butler that was cooked by a black cook, on dishes washed by a black dishwasher.

Of the staff of 100 support persons, what percent is black?

Old 06-07-2016, 01:41 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Sure there is a lot of other praise for America in her speech. However, referring slavery in the context of her speech is something Americans should be proud of. Not sure why we would want to hide it.
Slavery is a fact of American history. Injecting it into every conversation is counterproductive. It's like picking at a scab on a scraped knee and expecting it to heal.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:01 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Excuse me, slaves had a small part in it. Unless you think that history should be rewritten?

Regardless, they helped build it and that should be acknowledged.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:03 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Yes you even took out a reference to a famous Polish immigrant alumni from her speech. I've no idea why Michelle referencing famous alumni in a commencement speech should bother anyone.
I took out ALL mention of race. See the difference? I didn't pick or choose one. I took out ALL race and made it a speech to Americans.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Slavery is a fact of American history. Injecting it into every conversation is counterproductive. It's like picking at a scab on a scraped knee and expecting it to heal.

THANK YOU! Seems like an easy concept to grasp doesn't it?

Old 06-07-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Regardless, they helped build it and that should be acknowledged.

Understood. Then acknowledge EVERY race that helped build it. You can't single one out because it fits your agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies