Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 09:59 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Where did she blame all white people? Please post the specific comment she made because I highly doubt she did this.

Have other First Ladies served as role models for black women? Or ever specifically spoke about black issues. If so I'd love to read about it.

Allow me to refresh your memory to some (and there are many more) instances of MO touts race and frowns on America over the past few decades.

From MO:

"(America is) just downright mean."

“For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. And I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction.”

“It’s easier to hold onto your own stereotypes and misconceptions, it makes you feel justified in your own ignorance. That’s America."

“…(T)he realities are that, you know, as a black man, you know, Barack can get shot going to the gas station, you know.”

"Barack is one of the smartest people you will ever encounter who will deign to enter this messy thing called politics." (DEIGN means to do something that one considers to be below their dignity)

“The road ahead is not going to be easy for folks like you and me,” she told the graduating students, “because while we’ve come so far, the truth is that those age-old problems are stubborn, and they haven’t fully gone away.”

“no matter how far you rise in life, how hard you work to be a good person, a good parent, a good citizen — for some folks, it will never be good enough.”

"The bottom line is that white students on this campus are racist, but they may not realize it." (She wrote this while at Princeton)

She was a part of TWC while at Princeton, which was a minority ran group bent on furthering the racial divide on campus. She pushed (with others) to have whites banned from their meetings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 10:03 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Please before you spew this kind of stuff, do your history homework. White, Black, Asian..... we've all had a history of persecution and enslavement at some point in time or another. Most others just let it go and moved forward because we know it buys us absolutely NOTHING that can help us succeed in life. It only works to further divide a country that is already in turmoil.
Yes everyone has but African's negative history is very recent which is why there is still a divide. Jim Crow laws were in full force in the 60s which wasn't that long ago and even today their are issues. I don't think acknowledging the past holds anyone back and plenty of white people acknowledge their history especially the Irish, Italians, etc. I see no reason why blacks can't do the same.

Also Koreans and Japanese have a contentious relationship with each other as well over past atrocities. I never knew this until I met a Korean girl in college who told me she hated Japanese people. So no people do not just get over the past including Asians. The only difference is Koreans have their own country, African Americans and white Americans have to live together.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:05 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Its not Wise to assume that because two people share the same continent and are the same color, they are the "same Kind" Its like saying the Nazi's gassed their own kind. Notwithstanding the fact that two Africans of the same tribe have more DNA diversity than any two randomly selected people on earth. They were not selling their own kind they were selling foreigners who had a different language, religious practice, and customs.:eyes back in head:
what do you mean by 'DNA diversity'?
link?

Old 06-08-2016, 10:13 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Allow me to refresh your memory to some (and there are many more) instances of MO touts race and frowns on America over the past few decades.

From MO:

"(America is) just downright mean."

“For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. And I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction.”

“It’s easier to hold onto your own stereotypes and misconceptions, it makes you feel justified in your own ignorance. That’s America."

“…(T)he realities are that, you know, as a black man, you know, Barack can get shot going to the gas station, you know.”

"Barack is one of the smartest people you will ever encounter who will deign to enter this messy thing called politics." (DEIGN means to do something that one considers to be below their dignity)

“The road ahead is not going to be easy for folks like you and me,” she told the graduating students, “because while we’ve come so far, the truth is that those age-old problems are stubborn, and they haven’t fully gone away.”

“no matter how far you rise in life, how hard you work to be a good person, a good parent, a good citizen — for some folks, it will never be good enough.”

"The bottom line is that white students on this campus are racist, but they may not realize it." (She wrote this while at Princeton)

She was a part of TWC while at Princeton, which was a minority ran group bent on furthering the racial divide on campus. She pushed (with others) to have whites banned from their meetings.

None of that was racist except for the bottom line quote. I give her a pass because perhaps that was her experience with the whites on that campus. The fact is lots of whites were racist back in the 70s and 80s. Many straight up couldn't stand black people.

Also these appear to be random quotes that weren't stated in the speech so I still don't get the problem.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:15 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what do you mean by 'DNA diversity'?
link?
Study Finds Africans More Genetically Diverse Than Other Populations

By Joel Achenbach
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, May 1, 2009
Africans are more genetically diverse than the inhabitants of the rest of the world combined, according to a sweeping study that carried researchers into remote regions to sample the bloodlines of more than 100 distinct populations.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:21 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
I understand Michelle Obama's statement completely. If I was living in a home built on the grounds of a concentration camp, I would feel very uncomfortable. Michelle is also First Lady, a black woman who graduated Harvard as did her husband who happens to be the president.

Times have changed for the better in this country and I wish she and her husband emphasized that fact more often, however.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:22 AM

1,504 posts, read 851,404 times
The "House" was not built by slaves...slaves did not have the skill to build sophisticated structures such as the White House. White people were in charge of building the house....sure there were a few pick and shovel guys who were black....This really bugs me...if you want to get rid of racism...stop talking about it and stop using it to justify your position....

Just like Hillary with her dated rhetoric about glass ceilings...there is no glass ceiling...if you are a capable intelligent gifted female who puts in the work you can surpass a man in any profession. Just as if you are black and you have the talent and endurance to work hard YOU WILL GO TO ANY LEVEL IN SOCIETY YOU WANT.

All affirmative action managed to accomplish was hiring cops that were 5 feet tall of mediocre intelligence and weight who for physical and mental reasons have to resort to deadly force to enforce law. Race or sex should not be used as excuse for anything...if you are capable no one can hold you down.

I remember my mother back in the fifties - she made ten times the money that men made...because she had ability and worked hard...she never blamed men or even considered that males would supress her....Feminist eccentric extremism does not serve society at all...it is a ruse.

Also as far as slaves are concerned...The first lady has to realize that it was the black African elite who sold their own people into slavery...and yes it was white people who bought them...slavery would not have existed in America if it were not for the original sales persons...who were BLACK.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:27 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I understand Michelle Obama's statement completely. If I was living in a home built on the grounds of a concentration camp, I would feel uncomfortable with that. Michelle is also First Lady, a black woman who graduated Harvard as did her husband who happens to the president.

Times have changed for the better in this country and I wish she and her husband emphasized that fact more often, however.
Did Michelle say she was uncomfortable about living in the White House because it was built by slaves? I must have missed that in the speech. It seems to me she was making the same point you made in your post that "times have changed for the better in this country."

Old 06-08-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
None of that was racist except for the bottom line quote. I give her a pass because perhaps that was her experience with the whites on that campus. The fact is lots of whites were racist back in the 70s and 80s. Many straight up couldn't stand black people.

Also these appear to be random quotes that weren't stated in the speech so I still don't get the problem.

These were quotes from numerous other speeches and papers she has written over the past few decades.

So hang on...... she gets a "pass"? If a white person has an experience with a black person that is negative and they say a black person is racist is opens up a huge can of worms. There are racist whites and blacks today. The difference is, blacks are very open about it. I worked with a guy who would tell you flat out that he hated white people. We weren't allowed to say one word back for fear of a lawsuit. And the first time a white person makes mention of it they are held to a different standard.

That's the whole issue here. No one should get a "pass". Look at the young man who opened up that Confederate flag and said he was having a "white pride" day. He got into all sorts of trouble. It was just one comment. So why didn't he get a pass? If you want true equality, you must treat everyone equally. You don't get to pick and choose what is ok and what isn't.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
The "House" was not built by slaves...slaves did not have the skill to build sophisticated structures such as the White House. White people were in charge of building the house....sure there were a few pick and shovel guys who were black....This really bugs me...if you want to get rid of racism...stop talking about it and stop using it to justify your position....

Just like Hillary with her dated rhetoric about glass ceilings...there is no glass ceiling...if you are a capable intelligent gifted female who puts in the work you can surpass a man in any profession. Just as if you are black and you have the talent and endurance to work hard YOU WILL GO TO ANY LEVEL IN SOCIETY YOU WANT.

All affirmative action managed to accomplish was hiring cops that were 5 feet tall of mediocre intelligence and weight who for physical and mental reasons have to resort to deadly force to enforce law. Race or sex should not be used as excuse for anything...if you are capable no one can hold you down.

I remember my mother back in the fifties - she made ten times the money that men made...because she had ability and worked hard...she never blamed men or even considered that males would supress her....Feminist eccentric extremism does not serve society at all...it is a ruse.

Also as far as slaves are concerned...The first lady has to realize that it was the black African elite who sold their own people into slavery...and yes it was white people who bought them...slavery would not have existed in America if it were not for the original sales persons...who were BLACK.

My entire point is highlighted above. No one should be allowed to do it from either side of the argument. There is no benefit to anyone by bringing it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies