Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 06:42 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,926,533 times

Advertisements

Insulting/questioning people solely based on the money they were born into or married into?

That sounds similar to the foundation racism stands on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 06:47 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,658,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Yup. Slavery, racism and the problems they caused have not gone away. So it's less of a scar than a festering, oozing abscess. The problem must be acknowledged, faced and treated before it can heal, not ignored to protect the sensitive fee fees those who are not directly affected by problems that are still hurting real people and would rather stick their head in the sand.

I am constantly amazed at the racist, prejudiced statements that come out of people here. People who then go on to claim that the "race card" is overplayed and doesn't apply any more and that blacks, liberals and progressives see racism behind every tree where none exists. As if you have to say the N word, join the KKK or light a cross on someone's lawn or you're not really racist. The lack of self-awareness is just mind boggling.

All Obama's presidency did was make it socially acceptable for them to show their true feelings in public. Kind of like peeling back the pretty new carpet to reveal the rotten, moldy pad underneath.

It's amazing to me that all of you that make the bolded comment above never explain HOW to fix the issue. Where has anyone said that slavery wasn't a horrible part of our country's past? It has been acknowledged and the country has tried to fix it as best we can. When have we not faced it (Civil Rights movements, etc...), and how do you "treat" a mindset? I can no more change how someone perceives me as I can change the weather. All that we can do is try not to reciprocate and to move forward with hopes that other races understand I stand beside them as an equal and not over or under them. I'm pretty sure we as a country have been trying to do that for decades. It's the outliers and trouble-makers who make sure to keep it in everyone's face to make darn sure no one forgets what "we" did to them decades and decades ago (forgetting that many of us were not born then, and do not agree at all with what happened).

I'm also amazed at those who don't think it hurts white people when the race card is thrown. It absolutely does. It pains me to realize that people are still stuck on something that happens decades ago, when there is absolutely nothing that we can do to erase history. It would be like my replaying my mother passing away every day. How do you heal by reliving it over and over?

Old 06-09-2016, 06:58 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,929,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
No, they just died in droves coming over here on the months-long journey chained together in slave ships with little food or water and no sanitation. Then when they got here they were forced to work or got beaten and the women were often raped. Some were beaten to death.

That's so much better!
Hmmmm, this sounds like what illegals are going through to get to America. This administration knows this and invites more to join the progress. Strange, how the left complains about slaves, yet supports or at least is doing very little to stop women and children arriving illegally, hungry, raped and looking for work.

Seems to me the progressives have just asked future slaves to arrive in the USA on their own, so the progressives are not blamed for the transporting.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
It's amazing to me that all of you that make the bolded comment above never explain HOW to fix the issue. Where has anyone said that slavery wasn't a horrible part of our country's past? It has been acknowledged and the country has tried to fix it as best we can. When have we not faced it (Civil Rights movements, etc...), and how do you "treat" a mindset? I can no more change how someone perceives me as I can change the weather. All that we can do is try not to reciprocate and to move forward with hopes that other races understand I stand beside them as an equal and not over or under them. I'm pretty sure we as a country have been trying to do that for decades. It's the outliers and trouble-makers who make sure to keep it in everyone's face to make darn sure no one forgets what "we" did to them decades and decades ago (forgetting that many of us were not born then, and do not agree at all with what happened).

I'm also amazed at those who don't think it hurts white people when the race card is thrown. It absolutely does. It pains me to realize that people are still stuck on something that happens decades ago, when there is absolutely nothing that we can do to erase history. It would be like my replaying my mother passing away every day. How do you heal by reliving it over and over?
Sorry but I had to giggle at the bold.

As a black person who actually is an astute history nerd and especially so about black American history, it is always astounding to me when a random white person either in person or online feels I am "throwing a race card" at them when all I am doing is having an historically based conversation with them, many times due to them asking me some (IMO) silly question about being black.

I have been accused many times of being "stuck" on race or having a race card. I have neither and I am not "stuck" in the past, I just find history interesting. Do you think WW2 history buffs are "stuck" in that past?

I mentioned earlier in the thread that anytime a black person speaks of an historical fact regarding the discrimination of black people in the past in our country, someone will take offense unnecessarily.

Michelle Obama saying that she wakes up in a house built by slaves is correct. The majority of the general labor used to build the White House were enslaved black people. There is nothing "race card" about that and it should not feel like it is something "thrown in your face" IMO (or others if you did not take offense to her comments and I'm not saying you did).

Institutionalized racism, something that did and still does occur post the CRM, is not a "card" or something to "throw in your face" it is a real occurrence.

I find it very odd that so many whites in America take offense and get defensive about racism. If you do not ignore institutionalized racism, if you are aware of and accept that our country has an oppressive past against all sorts of people, including black Americans, then you should not be "hurt" by comments about the above.

FWIW, I will also mention that a large amount of my IRL associates, especially my fellow history nerds are white people - Americans. Quite a few of them are fascinated by and are nearly experts on some specific aspect of black American history. They do not get hurt or offended during our discussions. They know that those things occurred. They see black Americans as "Americans" first and foremost and they find commonality with the black American experience in combination with the "American experience" as a whole. We all really enjoy black history, even the controversial aspects and how that history has affected present day attitudes about race in America.

When you take a step back and look at things from this sort of perspective there is no reason for you to be "hurt," especially if you have never participated in or ignored the mistreatment of minority groups in America.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:00 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
Quote:
So I assume you too are ok with giving her a "pass" on her past transgressions? Those transgressions flow into current speeches as well. You just choose not to see it. Had this been the first time she had ever mentioned it, probably not a word would have been said.
She has also said...

The road ahead is not going to be easy for folks like you and me.

For the first time...I am proud of my country.

Black girls rock!

Museums and concert halls just don’t welcome non-white visitors.

I wake up in a house that was built by slaves.

When we listen to a speech, we have to hear it in context of the whole person, their perspective, what they believe and what they have said before.

So, adding the above comments over time, you can draw some conclusions.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
She has also said...

The road ahead is not going to be easy for folks like you and me.
Sign....

The road ahead is not easy for anyone IMO....

Also, do you truly believe that black Americans are not negatively judged or stereotyped in our society today moreso than a white person in particular??
Quote:
For the first time...I am proud of my country.
Many people say this in regards to politics especially. Are you one of those people who think we need to "make America great again?" If so, you probably aren't proud of your country right now.

Quote:
Black girls rock!
This is the name of a non-profit organization that aims to improve the educational and socio-economic outcomes of black girls in America.

FWIW black girls do rock !!!

We are wonderful, beautiful, talented, intelligent, capable, etc., etc., etc., people.

I also wonder if you are one of those folks who complain about what "black people need to do to improve" ourselves. When we take steps to do so, like target our girls for uplift and mentoring such as what is done with Black Girls Rock, then you get made lol. It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" sort of thing with you people.

Quote:
Museums and concert halls just don’t welcome non-white visitors.
Many non-white people don't feel welcomed in these places. I remember her speech about this and she was actually giving a speech at a museum in NYC whose goals and activities centered around making art more accessible to residents.

Quote:
I wake up in a house that was built by slaves.
See above comments, this is correct, she does wake up in a house built by slaves.

Quote:
When we listen to a speech, we have to hear it in context of the whole person, their perspective, what they believe and what they have said before.

So, adding the above comments over time, you can draw some conclusions.
Many times people draw conclusions based on their own biased viewpoints. If you are biased of Michelle Obama, you will always see something negative in her words, speeches, or behavior. None of the items you mentioned above have anything negative or discriminatory about them. The one that is the focus of this thread especially is not controversial.

Do you honestly believe that the majority of general laborers on the White House were not slaves?

Old 06-09-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
So I assume you too are ok with giving her a "pass" on her past transgressions? Those transgressions flow into current speeches as well. You just choose not to see it. Had this been the first time she had ever mentioned it, probably not a word would have been said.
What are Michelle's transgressions???

Old 06-09-2016, 07:12 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,929,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Again, personal insults are all you got. Jealously has zero to do with it. I want a First Lady who graduates can look up to when she gives a commencement address. Marrying a sugar daddy doesn't make the cut.
She happened to have married Trump way before Trump considered being President........I do believe this is a cheap shot!

I for one agree this is not the First Lady I would consider, due to her modeling. At least she knows what it takes to become a citizen and won't be telling others that Americans won't allow them to come to America and that we hate immigrants. Trump and Melania will not be playing the victim card and this in itself will be a breathe of fresh air.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:25 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
She implied it by making the statement the WH was built by slaves. I understood her comment.

Michelle Obama never misses an opportunity to denigrate America during her reign, by word or deed. I also think she is the most embarrassing and unfortunate First Lady in my lifetime.
She was contrasting the difference between America today and America in the early 1800s. She was celebrating that change.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:30 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I suppose we should demolish DC, and let illegal crews rebuild it.

In another 100 years or so, we'll have a Mexican American 1st lady saying it was built on the backs of Mexicans.

Rinse, Repeat

Why are we still talking about slavery when the freakin President of the US is black? There's nothing else which proves equality is alive and well.

She should simply GET OVER IT!

EXACTLY!

She is about as close to slavery as the Earth to Pluto.
I think Michelle said it more eloquently then you just did; she was pointing out how much America had changed for the better and used her husband and children as an example of that change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies