Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 07:32 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
we've come a long way.....but unfortunately Pres Obama hasn't been accepted by all the people....Bigot Donald, the Birther, did what he could to make sure the Obama was seen as illegitimate.....shoot, even a CDF poster and Trump supporter phma called Pres Obama a monkey a day or two ago.....
what do you mean :we've come a long way". It sure sounds like you're saying it because we elected a "black" man to the white house. Well, I thought we weren't supposed to discriminate? Don't forget that Obama is half white. Your post is dripping with political correctness (and thats NOT a good thing)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 07:38 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Do you not understand what I said? I said if it buggs her that much she shouldn't have moved in. I didn't say she couldn't talk about it! I swear you liberals don't make me feel any better about you guys when you guys aren't even able to interprete what I said. Or when I see people with Bernie stickers on their Subaru almost take exit only lanes then fly out of them last minute.... Honestly, of topic somewhat but me, and my center friends, and even my liberal grandparents notice people who usually drive the subarus and priuses are usually bad drivers. Has anyone else noticed this? Who usually drives these cars, I'm really curious?
Michelle Obama simply stated a fact, but individuals such as yourself are the ones that it's bugging so much.

You're making a big deal of it.

I'm a Libertarian...so complete fail on your part. But I'm sure I drive better than you, as I can flip from LHD to RHD like it's nothing. I can also use RHD cars in LHD jurisdiction. U.S. mainland to U.S. territory. Your kind would be lost.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:19 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
There are blacks I admire greatly, and wish they would run for the office.

There's a difference between policies and the person. Seems like too many don't know that difference.

Hogwash to that last question. You are reading into my post what isn't there. Perfect example of filtering selectively what you think it says.

History isn't taught accurately. Depending on who's teaching and where, it's lopsided.
Depending on who's hearing, and where, they receive it through their own filters.

Blacks sold blacks in to slavery. Blacks owned slaves. Is that part of the history you know?
But you left out the part where Black people loaded other Black people on to the Black people's ships and sailed them to the Americas where Black plantation owners bought them to work for them until the day that the Black plantation owner died....and then they were passed down to the Black plantation owner's relatives (who were Black people) or sold by those Black people to other Black people to pay off the debts of those Black plantation owners.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:12 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Michelle Obama went to City College of New York and told the graduating students that she is living in a house built by slaves. This speech happened on June 4, 2016. Here is video of that speach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR2CVQ5jmn0

then move, it is not like anyone will miss you.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:24 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
But you left out the part where Black people loaded other Black people on to the Black people's ships and sailed them to the Americas where Black plantation owners bought them to work for them until the day that the Black plantation owner died....and then they were passed down to the Black plantation owner's relatives (who were Black people) or sold by those Black people to other Black people to pay off the debts of those Black plantation owners.

That's a skewed view, just like black history as presented to us today is skewed. No need for either. Plain truth about all of it will do.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:22 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
She can move now and not wait until January.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Hogwash to that last question. You are reading into my post what isn't there. Perfect example of filtering selectively what you think it says.

History isn't taught accurately. Depending on who's teaching and where, it's lopsided.
Depending on who's hearing, and where, they receive it through their own filters.

Blacks sold blacks in to slavery. Blacks owned slaves. Is that part of the history you know?
LOL on the bold. You must not have read my other post in the thread. As I stated in the thread, I am a history nerd of American history with a special focus on black American history. I actually write about black history for pleasure and so I know that I am MUCH more knowledgeable about black American history than you are and I am well aware that "blacks owned slaves" lol.

FWIW I am laughing (literally giggling typing this) because it is always interesting how some white people think all black people are dumb when it comes to historical matters when most of us know way more about black history than whites do.

To answer the question I will say - of course I know black people owned slaves....

On the question I asked you, IMO you do want to ignore history because you don't want to hear a black person say "slavery" or talk about the subject. You get defensive about the mention of "slavery." You evidently thought that I would be defensive about you mentioning "blacks owned slaves" (or that I was ignorant about the subject). If I felt you were on my level in regards to the knowledge of this subject of black American history, I would be excited to engage with you in a conversation about the subject. But I don't think you are on my level of knowledge. If you were, you would not have been bothered by Michelle Obama's half a sentence of a commencement address.

Also for your reading pleasure so you can both see black people are aware of the subject of blacks owning slaves (this is a black American website and the article was written by Henry Louis Gates, who you may remember from having the beer with the officer arresting him with Obama at the White House, HLG is highly regarding amongst black historians and is an expert on black American history - he wrote a large amount of my text books in college on both black literature and history) and the numbers of slaves they owned and why.

Did Black People Own Slaves? If so, Why?

Old 06-22-2016, 08:53 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL on the bold. You must not have read my other post in the thread. As I stated in the thread, I am a history nerd of American history with a special focus on black American history. I actually write about black history for pleasure and so I know that I am MUCH more knowledgeable about black American history than you are and I am well aware that "blacks owned slaves" lol.

FWIW I am laughing (literally giggling typing this) because it is always interesting how some white people think all black people are dumb when it comes to historical matters when most of us know way more about black history than whites do.

To answer the question I will say - of course I know black people owned slaves....

On the question I asked you, IMO you do want to ignore history because you don't want to hear a black person say "slavery" or talk about the subject. You get defensive about the mention of "slavery." You evidently thought that I would be defensive about you mentioning "blacks owned slaves" (or that I was ignorant about the subject). If I felt you were on my level in regards to the knowledge of this subject of black American history, I would be excited to engage with you in a conversation about the subject. But I don't think you are on my level of knowledge. If you were, you would not have been bothered by Michelle Obama's half a sentence of a commencement address.

Also for your reading pleasure so you can both see black people are aware of the subject of blacks owning slaves (this is a black American website and the article was written by Henry Louis Gates, who you may remember from having the beer with the officer arresting him with Obama at the White House, HLG is highly regarding amongst black historians and is an expert on black American history - he wrote a large amount of my text books in college on both black literature and history) and the numbers of slaves they owned and why.

So then why do blacks keep beating the drum about whites oppressing them?

Sorry that I deem to speak to someone so much higher than myself, but I have to point out that you've read a lot into my words that isn't there and end up giving a lecture on a soapbox.

Perhaps you are a bit defensive and therefore a bit overreactive?

Old 06-22-2016, 09:39 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

I appreciate you interest in History and hopefully when you write you are objective. Can you tell us what kind of people owned slaves and what percentage of Americans at that time owned them?

Old 06-22-2016, 10:29 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
So then why do blacks keep beating the drum about whites oppressing them?

Sorry that I deem to speak to someone so much higher than myself, but I have to point out that you've read a lot into my words that isn't there and end up giving a lecture on a soapbox.

Perhaps you are a bit defensive and therefore a bit overreactive?
is that a serious question?

And "blacks"? Which ones? All? Are you aware that there are people of Africa origin who were never enslaved by whites?

Furthermore, it's history. What's the problem with mentioning it? Do you hear Egyptians crying every time Jews and ChristIans preach about and remember the enslavement of the Israelites in Egypt? That was thousands of years ago...

Goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies