U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Elizabeth Warren a Minority
Yes, she overheard someone say so and she has high cheekbones 8 7.84%
No, she exploited minority status to STEAL Affirmative Action benefits from a real minority 94 92.16%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 08:46 AM

13,330 posts, read 6,990,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
NA always coplain that their land was taken, who did they buy the land from, when they got here, they just took it, stole it, yes nobody else was here but still same principal, they took something that wasnt theirs.
That's absurd. What do you mean, "who[m] did they buy the land from?"

After so much time living on the land, it essentially becomes connected to your tribe or nation. That's something that no financial transaction can achieve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 11:22 AM

15,490 posts, read 17,665,423 times
Quote:
NA always coplain that their land was taken, who did they buy the land from, when they got here, they just took it, stole it, yes nobody else was here but still same principal, they took something that wasnt theirs.
Native American tribes were not geographically static. Indeed they settled on unoccupied land like the Navajos did when they arrived in the Colorado Plateau area a few hundred years ago, the Anasazi ancestors of today's Pueblo peoples periodically moved not only due to environmental stresses, but also in reaction to conflicts with aggressive Plains tribes, and the Algonquin tribes were being pushed towards the Atlantic coast after suffering over a hundred years of campaigns and expansions by Iroquois peoples who were aggressively expanding their territories from the upper Midwest/central Canada into the Northeast and Appalachian region.

This does not justify the treatment of Native Americans by European settlers, but it does counter the oft repeated myth that Native Americans were merrily petting bunnies and eating con on the cob at intertribal jamborees until the evil White man came along. The Europeans were just another expansionist tribe. One that was radically successful.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:41 PM

277 posts, read 479,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Also, I have never heard of this "one lump rule" you speak of. A Google search doesn't reveal much either. This "rule" seems to be a concoction of yours.

I don't think of all whites as my people; I have a different ethnic identity.

I wouldn't try to blame, say, the Cherokee or Seminoles for the notorious practices of the Aztecs, for instance. So what one group of whites does, which another group of whites has nothing to do with, is similarly disconnected.

It also doesn't make much sense to blame (white) immigrants to America for immigrating to what was stolen land. Especially those from ethnic groups that had nothing to do with the conquest of the Americas. But we're supposed to think of, say, Eastern Europeans as connected to the conquering peoples, just because of shared whiteness?! Preposterous.

If you do hold later immigrants, in some sense, morally responsible for the original theft of land (doesn't make much sense to me, but I suppose it's possible), then you'd have to be consistent and blame not only white immigrants & their descendants but also nonwhite immigrants & their descendants: e.g., Asians, Middle Easterners, Africans (i.e., recent immigrants from Africa, not the descendants of slaves)...
A concoction of mine? You must be kidding me.

"One Lump?" Is not a theory I was purposing. Why would you need to "Google" this? This is basic thought. One lump (rule), is well...lumping everyone together based on "race" in this case, US White Americans, as I stated. White's are "Lumped" when asked what their nationality is (exclude Latino) on an application.

To satisfy your "Google", here's a return for your "Lump" which perfectly fits with my conjecture which I was relating to the US government foreign policy, not White migrants but US White Americans IN power.

1. Lump - verb
put in an indiscriminate mass or group; treat as alike without regard for particulars.
"Hong Kong and Bangkok tend to be lumped together in travel brochures"
synonyms: combine, put together, group, bunch, aggregate, unite, pool, merge, collect, throw together, consider together
"it is out of ignorance that they lump together all modern artists"
(in taxonomy) classify plants or animals in relatively inclusive groups, disregarding minor variations.

Wallah.....LUMP Google search. Just drop it in the search bar.

Last edited by AppalachianGumbo; 06-28-2016 at 08:51 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post

"One Lump?" Is not a theory I was purposing. Why would you need to "Google" this? This is basic thought. One lump (rule), is well...lumping everyone together based on "race" in this case, US White Americans, as I stated. White's are "Lumped" when asked what their nationality is (exclude Latino) on an application.

To satisfy your "Google", here's a return for your "Lump" which perfectly fits with my conjecture which I was relating to the US government foreign policy, not White migrants but US White Americans IN power.

1. Lump - verb
put in an indiscriminate mass or group; treat as alike without regard for particulars.
synonyms: combine, put together, group, bunch, aggregate, unite, pool, merge, collect, throw together, consider together
(in taxonomy) classify plants or animals in relatively inclusive groups, disregarding minor variations.

might want to look up the definition of "rule" while you're at it ..

Census rules aren't social norms. Plus, the census also allows you to identify your ethnicity.

In the real world, divisions exist among whites, just as they do among Native Americans. Furthermore, what one group of whites does is not at all the doing of other whites. I am white, but *my people* had zero to do with the genocide of Native Americans.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:05 AM

15,490 posts, read 17,665,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post

1. Lump - verb

I don't think anyone was suggesting you concocted the word 'lump'. However, googling "one lump rule" did not result in any return that supported your original thesis.

That said, I know what you were getting at and I find your point valid.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:19 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,630,415 times
Quote:
This seems to be the elephant in the room nobody talks about. As if the Apaches were kind gentle souls and shared resources and land with other tribes.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:03 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,971,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This seems to be the elephant in the room nobody talks about. As if the Apaches were kind gentle souls and shared resources and land with other tribes.
The truth hurts even tho the Apache, today's Aztecs and so on are 100 percent innocent what their ancestors had done way back in the day.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:05 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,971,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Native American tribes were not geographically static. Indeed they settled on unoccupied land like the Navajos did when they arrived in the Colorado Plateau area a few hundred years ago, the Anasazi ancestors of today's Pueblo peoples periodically moved not only due to environmental stresses, but also in reaction to conflicts with aggressive Plains tribes, and the Algonquin tribes were being pushed towards the Atlantic coast after suffering over a hundred years of campaigns and expansions by Iroquois peoples who were aggressively expanding their territories from the upper Midwest/central Canada into the Northeast and Appalachian region.

This does not justify the treatment of Native Americans by European settlers, but it does counter the oft repeated myth that Native Americans were merrily petting bunnies and eating con on the cob at intertribal jamborees until the evil White man came along. The Europeans were just another expansionist tribe. One that was radically successful.
Agreed tho like a BUNCH of "new tribes" who came here; like the Spanish, English, French and people from Portugal. Pretty much every other group of white people came later like the Germans, Irish, Italians and so on.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:10 PM

I don't think anyone is claiming that Native Americans did not have tribal conflicts.

Rather, the genocide of Native Americans at the hands of Western Europeans is particularly notable for its brutality and thoroughness. Native American culture in the USA and Canada is a vestige of what it once was.

From a Ukrainian standpoint, I totally sympathize with peoples who have had conquerors totally overwhelm their lands, oppress their people, and suppress their ways of life.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:14 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,630,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The truth hurts even tho the Apache, today's Aztecs and so on are 100 percent innocent what their ancestors had done way back in the day.
I agree.........I have a book and it has short stories of Indian tribes versus Indian tribe fighting. They killed each other to gain land, the way of the world, even still today.

I wonder why (bolded) doesn't this work for white people? Good for the goose is not good for the gander?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or