Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 07:57 AM

1,100 posts, read 629,238 times

Advertisements

Probably a feral cat. Danger to all of mankind. Well done copper.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 08:31 AM

25,768 posts, read 16,382,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Well, it's possible that the little kitten was going to paw the officers gun and shoot him... entirely justified.

Six years ago, when Tom Newhart and his wife rescued a baby cat and named him Sugar, they never imagined that his life would end in a hail of gunfire. However, thanks to a North Catasauqua police officer, that’s exactly what happened.

Last Sunday, Sugar escaped from the Newhart’s home. Hours later, he’d be gunned down by police.

“It’s like one of your children, you raised them, bottle fed them,” said Newhart as he began tearing up.

Police officer shoots tiny pet cat at point blank… later claims his life was ‘threatened’
Well, it's just a cat. Would you be upset if it was a squirrel?

Old 06-06-2016, 08:32 AM

25,768 posts, read 16,382,848 times
The fact that he discharged his weapon in a reckless was should be the topic. Who seriously cares about a cat?

Old 06-06-2016, 09:25 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,467,835 times
Exactly why wasn't the neighbor able to "detain" this tiny cat?

The reason I ask this is because I've seen animal lovers who are afraid to handle injured animals. They are either grossed out by a wound, the animal looks so badly injured they don't know what to do or they feel the injury is so bad that they may do further damage.

Many times it is more humane to end an animals suffering. Due to the obvious one sided nature to the article and the fact that the neighbor called for help in regards to this "tiny" cat make me question the information presented and wonder if the cop did the right thing.

I know many posters here who are looking to be outraged won't even consider looking at this objectively, because it makes it more difficult to be outraged when you don't immediately come to the outrageous conclusion.

The cop may have been wrong, but he may have been right.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:53 AM

38,860 posts, read 25,397,197 times
Angry Police officer shoots tiny pet cat at point blank…

What kind of a jerk does something like that?

This creep should lose his job, his badge, and any LE certification he has.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:54 AM

38,860 posts, read 25,397,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The fact that he discharged his weapon in a reckless was should be the topic. Who seriously cares about a cat?
Have someone pull that finger.

You'll feel better.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
What kind of a jerk does something like that?

This creep should lose his job, his badge, and any LE certification he has.
If the cat appeared severely injured and in extreme pain, do you not believe it would have been the humane option? Seriously?

Old 06-06-2016, 09:56 AM

18,132 posts, read 15,534,498 times
OK, the cat hissed at him. Probably sensing hostility and ill intent. Cats are good at that. Being a house cat, he didn't have the good sense to go over the fence. This is sad. I must admit. Shotgunning a cat , just for being lost. Pretty harsh sentence for curiosity, indeed.

I love animals. Cats included. I get strays all the time. In my ranch days, so.etimes we did have to put ferals down, but its not a chore taken on with relish. Had the cop taken just a little time with this particular cat, the outcome may have been very different. A little understanding of what a frightened animal will react like goes a long way.

Stray pet housecats react very differently from ferals. Ferals will attack. House pets threaten, out of instinct. It a nuance one comes to recognize. This cop sucks. No doubt. Not an animal person. Most aren't, especially with cats. Sheesb...the things I take for granted that I learned growing up.....

Old 06-06-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
OK, the cat hissed at him. Probably sensing hostility and ill intent. Cats are good at that. Being a house cat, he didn't have the good sense to go over the fence. This is sad. I must admit. Shotgunning a cat , just for being lost. Pretty harsh sentence for curiosity, indeed.

I love animals. Cats included. I get strays all the time. In my ranch days, so.etimes we did have to put ferals down, but its not a chore taken on with relish. Had the cop taken just a little time with this particular cat, the outcome may have been very different. A little understanding of what a frightened animal will react like goes a long way.

Stray pet housecats react very differently from ferals. Ferals will attack. House pets threaten, out of instinct. It a nuance one comes to recognize. This cop sucks. No doubt. Not an animal person. Most aren't, especially with cats. Sheesb...the things I take for granted that I learned growing up.....
Why did the neighbor need to call the police to detain this "tiny" cat?

Old 06-06-2016, 09:59 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,034,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Exactly why wasn't the neighbor able to "detain" this tiny cat?

The reason I ask this is because I've seen animal lovers who are afraid to handle injured animals. They are either grossed out by a wound, the animal looks so badly injured they don't know what to do or they feel the injury is so bad that they may do further damage.

Many times it is more humane to end an animals suffering. Due to the obvious one sided nature to the article and the fact that the neighbor called for help in regards to this "tiny" cat make me question the information presented and wonder if the cop did the right thing.

I know many posters here who are looking to be outraged won't even consider looking at this objectively, because it makes it more difficult to be outraged when you don't immediately come to the outrageous conclusion.

The cop may have been wrong, but he may have been right.
If the cat was paralyzed and suffering the cop may have done the right thing by putting the cat out of its' misery. And as a lifelong cat lover I'd say the cat's owners deserve some of the blame for letting the cat roam. Cats should be kept indoors for their own good and for the local bird and wildlife population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies