Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 03:09 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

This is how I see it: much like the confusion about Service Dogs (service, medical, therapy, emotional support, etc.) there is confusion about being Socially Correct (PC). People who don't follow the fads, people who aren't neck deep in the fight, don't really know what makes sense and what doesn't. They get feedback from social media without realizing the majority of things "trending" are fake or trolling or sarcastic. So now people will react to just about anything with an apology and a vow to change things because it's easier to do that then to sort out what is and what isn't actually an issue.

This isn't actually an issue. Just because some folks on twitter and one actress say it is doesn't make it so. But the Hollywood PR firms don't have time to look into it. It's the "better safe than sorry" approach. Unfortunately the more this is done the crazier the reactions get, and we crossed over to crazy long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 03:09 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
So everyone who saw the giant outdoor billboard would know that, including little kids?
Most kids would immediately identify it as a poster for a superhero movie, their minds don't immediately go to the abuse of women. At least the ones I have been lucky enough to be around anyway.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
So everyone who saw the giant outdoor billboard would know that, including little kids?
Especially little kids. They see a blue lady and a giant monster and know what's what and haven't been brainwashed yet.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:17 PM

28 posts, read 28,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
American women have it GREAT - feminists should shut their mouths and be grateful that they are not sex slaves in burkas!!
Yeah, but hey that doesn't mean we shouldn't complain about how sexist air conditioning, billboards with super heroes/villains, female video game characters are.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:18 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivias View Post
So true! And as a woman it really gets me how they try to justify feminism over here due to the way women are treated in other parts of the world. Women in the west don't know the first THING about oppression.
Another "be grateful your husband doesn't hit you" post. So, because women in America have managed to raise the bar half way to where the bar is for men, we should be grateful? Why does my gender make be unworthy of full parity with men? Nobody tells men what they can or cannot do with their reproductive organs - why should a woman settle for anything less. For many jobs, men get paid more for the same work than do women - why should a woman settle for anything less than the same salary for the same job? As woman, you can set your bar as low as you like, but don't denigrate women who won't be happy until American women have achieved full parity with American men.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:21 PM

Oh, and don't forget Angela Merkel, a very powerful woman who feminists get behind despite the fact she thinks letting tens of thousands of people that come from places that couldn't hate/despise women more into the country is a good idea.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:23 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,180 times
Quote:
Another "be grateful your husband doesn't hit you" post. So, because women in America have managed to raise the bar half way to where the bar is for men, we should be grateful? Why does my gender make be unworthy of full parity with men? Nobody tells men what they can or cannot do with their reproductive organs - why should a woman settle for anything less. For many jobs, men get paid more for the same work than do women - why should a woman settle for anything less than the same salary for the same job? As woman, you can set your bar as low as you like, but don't denigrate women who won't be happy until American women have achieved full parity with American men.
If achieving full parity with men means focusing on trivial matters like an X-Men billboard count me out. There are real issues for women to address.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Well perhaps if women were willing to work as hard and as long as men they would. But lots of women take time off for kids or any other number of reasons, more than men do. It is all about choices. Women get more college degrees than men and have for awhile for instance.

And really, if women really did have it that bad how is it feminists can afford to spend so much time bitching about such inane and ludicrous stuff as the above? The pay gap is a myth that has been debunked many times. But feminists I think by now straight up get off on being perpetual victims.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Such untruths. Women don't settle for any of that. The bar isn't half way, in some places it's twice as high.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
If achieving full parity with men means focusing on trivial matters like an X-Men billboard count me out. There are real issues for women to address.
Yep, the exact same thing as I said in my previous post. Another one is all the back-stabbing and meanness women perpetuate to other women. I have worked with many men/women both as co-workers and employers and working with/for women got me screwed far more than with men. If we had it so bad I don't think we could afford to screw each other over so much, and believe me I have talked with many other women that feel the same. If you really are a truly capable strong, intelligent capable woman, chances are working with/for women is the LAST thing you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies