Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:17 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Before my H got out of the service, my kids thought mixed families were the "norm"...they didn't have the assumtion that parents and children should "match"... I liked it that way!
Yes, so do I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 01:40 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
I'm a guy, and i'm not into dudes.
I meant as friends...I would think that would be interesting too. I just get the feeling it should be interesting and exciting for you to know people of other races, not just girls for you to date, because it doesn't sound like you do. I don't think it's a bad thing to date out of your race or be with someone out of your race at ALL. But I've always taken exception to people who only want a white girl or only want a black guy (when they are not of the same race) or vice versa. There are often stereotypes that go along with that kind of thinking.

Last edited by wannabeaTexan; 02-16-2008 at 01:48 AM..

Old 02-16-2008, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
I meant as friends...I would think that would be interesting too. I just get the feeling it should be interesting and exciting for you to know people of other races, not just girls for you to date, because it doesn't sound like you do. I don't think it's a bad thing to date out of your race or be with someone out of your race at ALL. But I've always taken exception to people who only want a white girl or only want a black guy (when they are not of the same race) or vice versa. There are often stereotypes that go along with that kind of thinking.
Oh yea, I can have guys from other races as friends. I met a few at this college I'm going to?

Old 02-16-2008, 02:38 AM

531 posts, read 1,744,017 times
Actually,there are a lot of mixed race couples in West Virginia--At least in the North central areas!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:02 AM

127 posts, read 378,317 times
People who are in mixed relationships get very angry when someone has a different opinion. This blending of races, cultures means a loss of culture, traditions and identity. And I've been called supremicist for saying this but there is also the loss of genetic traits such as pale skin and light eyes. But, biologically speaking, diversity in the human population is provided by mutations - pale colors. I can say that people in mixed relationships are supremacists too - they desire the traits of a different race. They are trying to recreate those desired traits in their offspring.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:46 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemom View Post
People who are in mixed relationships get very angry when someone has a different opinion. This blending of races, cultures means a loss of culture, traditions and identity. And I've been called supremicist for saying this but there is also the loss of genetic traits such as pale skin and light eyes. But, biologically speaking, diversity in the human population is provided by mutations - pale colors. I can say that people in mixed relationships are supremacists too - they desire the traits of a different race. They are trying to recreate those desired traits in their offspring.
That is the silliest bunch of BS I have ever read on here!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:04 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I've ever met anyone who's told me they're trying to "create" a certain type of offspring....must be a fairly select group, it seems to me.

Besides that, ALL relationships are mixed, to some degree. Unless one is product of incest, we're ALL from mixed backgrounds (and even THEN, it's only one generation LESS 'mixed'). Relatively few people who I know (who've chosen to mention it) have all 4 grandparents of any "pure" ethnicity.

In some parts of the nation, there seems to be an objection to couples of differing races. In certain neighborhoods of San Francisco and Key West, there's objections to couples of differing genders. But ALL couples are "mixed", in one way or another......

In my own marriage, we've had our share of disagreements and squabbles, but very few "race riots". We DO have a form of "segregation" (for example, I have my own toothbrush)...But the offspring we "created" don't match any pre-existing prototypes, nor did we have any "target parameters" when we set out to "create" them...Our children just "are who they are"....

PS....None of this post refutes the fact that I'm NOT a big fan of multi-culturalism--I have MANY posts ranting against that. I think we have an "American" culture, and from it we get our freedoms, our ability to tolerate each other, and our sense of fair play and "equal protections" for all.....NONE of which, by the way, exist in many other cultures, and which I don't want to see US lose here, in some silly attempt to become "multicultural". Bring on the new foods, new music, new traditions....but don't throw away the freedoms and the rights for ALL members of our society (which so many cultures don't recognize).

I think culture is a "man-made" concept, and can be learned and adapted by ANYONE, of ANY race. That's how "we" all got it, when our ancestors came here and LEARNED it, and learned how to "get along" with very different "others". In my view, we have a multi-racial population that shares in a freedom-loving, tolerant, secular, law-abiding American culture....and I hope it stays that way...

Last edited by macmeal; 02-16-2008 at 09:15 AM..

Old 02-16-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I see you're trying to create discouragement.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:39 AM

[quote=macmeal;2845192]I'm not sure I've ever met anyone who's told me they're trying to "create" a certain type of offspring....must be a fairly select group, it seems to me.

For myself it was a white man. I was attracted to his nice colors, his height, and his intelligence. I wanted that for my kids. If I am considered a supremacist for that then I know alot of supremacists. I know ethnic Jewish couples, Paskitani couples, Indian couples and Vietnamese couples here in the states. I also know of young white women who want their babies to have a tan and only date brown guys. I also know of black women who want their kids to have smooth hair and date non black men. I know of white men who only desire Asian women. Lots of "prototypes" out there.

Last edited by divinemom; 02-18-2008 at 05:40 AM..

Old 02-18-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
I see you're trying to create discouragement.
I have two kids and I will tell them to do whatever they want as long as they make an informed decision. That goes for you too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies