Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 03:53 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Fair enough.

One thing though: getting convicted of rape is less likely to happen in the Middle East, even if a rape did occur. Some of the country's don't even recognize spousal rape as being valid.

But you're right, I don't know what the woman will be sentenced to and the Middle East, as a whole, gives harsher punishment even if it's to things that don't always deserve it, like being gay, and if they turn a blind eye to other horrible things that go unpunished altogether.
You do realize that 50 years ago in the United States that some states didn't recognize spousal rape.

We do now, in large part because we are a secular nation. In countries where religion plays a more significant role, the progress for women's rights is painfully slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 05:46 PM

52,247 posts, read 52,655,546 times
The religion of manure, I mean "peace" strikes again.

Gotta love those ignorant fools living in the 12th century.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:01 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post

Guess she showed her, who was who's MASTER.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:08 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Quote:
I feel like the lady who sets people on fire brings more shame to a family that a girl who marries someone she wants to marry does.
Understatement of the century.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:12 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,214 times
Can anyone explain why the mom is wrong here? Was it because she just chose too harsh of a punishment? Yes, I'm going somewhere with this...

Old 06-08-2016, 09:07 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Can anyone explain why the mom is wrong here? Was it because she just chose too harsh of a punishment? Yes, I'm going somewhere with this...
Alright, let's see where this goes.

The mom is wrong because setting people on fire is always bad. I guess you could see it as too harsh a punishment, though the thing she was punishing her for doesn't really deserve a punishment. And even if one could argue that it in some way does, certainly nothing that causes physical harm.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:45 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,214 times
Quote:
Alright, let's see where this goes.

The mom is wrong because setting people on fire is always bad. I guess you could see it as too harsh a punishment, though the thing she was punishing her for doesn't really deserve a punishment. And even if one could argue that it in some way does, certainly nothing that causes physical harm.
Alright, and why doesn't it deserve punishment?

Old 06-09-2016, 10:10 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Have you seen some of the crimes that happen in this country? I am saying we aren't any better.
You're wrong. We ARE better. I've actually been to Pakistan. There is no comparison.

Do bad things happen here? Sure... bad things happen everywhere. But we, as a society, do not condone, tolerate or practice honor killings. The idea is abbhorent to us. That is NOT the case in Pakistan.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:16 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
You're wrong. We ARE better. I've actually been to Pakistan. There is no comparison.

Do bad things happen here? Sure... bad things happen everywhere. But we, as a society, do not condone, tolerate or practice honor killings. The idea is abbhorent to us. That is NOT the case in Pakistan.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Okay, if you say so. You can find just as horrible things happening in the US, but I guess to you that is somehow better.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:17 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are about 185 million people in Pakistan. Most do not murder their children.

The tribal concept of honor killing is as old as mankind and most definitely predates Islam and was/is not limited to the Middle East.

There is no mention of honor killing in the Quran or the Hadiths and it is prohibited by Sharia Law.

You may want to rethink that. Man made Sharia Law is often used to justify honor killings.

Sharia and Honor Killing: No Way Around the Source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies