Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 09:14 AM

57,061 posts, read 26,024,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
why is this even a thing?

there is no other law that rules any place in the US but US law and our constitution. they can have their mock tribal sessions all day long. it won't ever be upheld in a US court of law.
It should not be a thing but remember this is Texas and they need to play to their constituency. There is no way for Sharia Law or any other to rule in this country but here we go, can never be too careful LOL

I wonder about the news sources for this, really questionable. I don't see anywhere where they demanded Sharia Law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 09:16 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,543,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Again, what part of this implies that religious law would supersede US law?

I hold some parts of Islam as high of esteem as the Catholic belief that I and all others who reject Christ will go to Hell.

The part that states Allah's law is the only law that matters. Did you miss that?

Muslims coming from other parts of the world who want to continue living under Sharia law where wife beating and flogging is just part of their religion. We cannot set a precedent by saying it's alright for them, or any community, to follow their own laws and not the laws of the land.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:21 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,477,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
We cannot set a precedent by saying it's alright for them, or any community, to follow their own laws and not the laws of the land.
I don't see how the precedent could be legal. Who has the legal power to say the laws of the land don't apply?

Old 06-10-2016, 09:25 AM

788 posts, read 509,822 times
Quote:
The part that states Allah's law is the only law that matters. Did you miss that?

Muslims coming from other parts of the world who want to continue living under Sharia law where wife beating and flogging is just part of their religion. We cannot set a precedent by saying it's alright for them, or any community, to follow their own laws and not the laws of the land.
Flog your wife - go to prison, Sharia-be-damned!!

Old 06-10-2016, 09:26 AM

788 posts, read 509,822 times
Quote:

Santa Claus's laws trump allah's every time!!!!

Old 06-10-2016, 09:30 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,543,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I don't see how the precedent could be legal. Who has the legal power to say the laws of the land don't apply?
Then why push for Sharia Law in the first place?

Old 06-10-2016, 09:41 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
why is this even a thing?

there is no other law that rules any place in the US but US law and our constitution. they can have their mock tribal sessions all day long. it won't ever be upheld in a US court of law.
That is my thought as well. In NYC there is the Jewish Court of Law, but that is for little disputes that are basically solved outside of the real courts and so not overrule actual US Law. If Muslims want to do that, more power to them.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:42 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,225,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Again, what part of this implies that religious law would supersede US law?

I hold some parts of Islam as high of esteem as the Catholic belief that I and all others who reject Christ will go to Hell.

Do you actually believe that Sharia courts WON'T try, at some point, to supercede or ignore US law?

REALLY?

Here's an idea... lets try it in YOUR neighborhood first for a decade or 2 and see how it works out.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:46 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,834,826 times
Quote:
I'm Catholic, but I know enough to say that Sharia Law is not like Jewish courts. Sharia Law is considered Allah's law and no other law matters. If a woman is accused of adultery, whether she's guilty or not, the punishment is flogging or stoning. Testimony of women are considered worth half the testimony of men. Men are given permission to beat their wives.

How is that at all similar to Jewish courts?
Religious based trials are common in the U.S. As you must know as a Catholic that women are not treated as equals to men in the opinion in the Catholic church.
Applying God

Across the United States, religious courts operate on a routine, everyday basis. The Roman Catholic Church alone has nearly 200 diocesan tribunals that handle a variety of cases, including an estimated 15,000 to 20,000 marriage annulments each year.1
[...]
Disputes over the laws of various religious traditions have occasionally made their way into U.S. civil courts, but the Supreme Court consistently has ruled that judges and other government officials may not interpret religious doctrine or rule on theological matters.5 In such cases, civil courts must either defer to the decisions of religious bodies or adjudicate religious disputes based on neutral principles in secular law. For example, in recent years the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia has battled in state court with several congregations over control of buildings, property and funds after the congregations voted to join more theologically conservative branches of the worldwide Anglican Communion. So far, the cases have been decided in favor of the diocese using contract and real estate law rather than church law.6

In Israel personal status issues are handled by religious courts (although recent modifications allow for secular courts), which for Muslims in Israel means Sharia courts.

Sharia Courts doesn't imply flogging or stoning.

Last edited by WilliamSmyth; 06-10-2016 at 09:57 AM..

Old 06-10-2016, 09:47 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,834,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
do any Jewish courts have different rules for men and women?
Yes, as does the Catholic Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies