Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 09:44 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That would take a Constitutional Amendment. The Constitution does not grant the government that authority.
Since it doesn't, it is a 10th Amendment issue.
They do have the 16th amendment in their favor, to force compliance.
Possibly less unconstitutional than Medicare. i.e. that will stop no party intent on more UHC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 09:53 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
The current healthcare system in the US will continue on until it no longer can. Likely when that cost approaches more than 20% or so of GDP it'll collapse as no longer being affordable for anyone.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:12 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
I'll be perfectly specific.

It isn't working for the benefit of America and American's.

To be fair, however, it is working splendidly for , and to the benefit of a few Obama's crony Insurance companies who are making out like bandits.
I am squarely middle class and I haven't noticed a change. Then again, I am a healthy male in my early 30s so I've been use to bearing the brunt of costs to help out those with pre-existing conditions and all the obese folks who can't be bothered to take care of themselves.

The best thing about ACA, people are actually figuring out how expensive healthcare is and hopefully the fatties (who account for 20% of healthcare costs) can learn to put down the fork when their budgets get hit.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:48 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That would take a Constitutional Amendment. The Constitution does not grant the government that authority.
Since it doesn't, it is a 10th Amendment issue.
They do have the 16th amendment in their favor, to force compliance.
No. We were just discussing the fact that in reality it wouldn't because of the 16th. Medicare operates at the federal level. Did that require a constitutional amendment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I am squarely middle class and I haven't noticed a change. Then again, I am a healthy male in my early 30s so I've been use to bearing the brunt of costs to help out those with pre-existing conditions and all the obese folks who can't be bothered to take care of themselves.

The best thing about ACA, people are actually figuring out how expensive healthcare is and hopefully the fatties (who account for 20% of healthcare costs) can learn to put down the fork when their budgets get hit.
You ARE aware that not everyone who is a "fatty" is due to diet, right?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:22 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
So you want the entire medical system to be run like the VA?

No Thanks.
No, who said anything about the VA? Do you think the VA is the only way on earth to run universal healthcare?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
The current healthcare system in the US will continue on until it no longer can. Likely when that cost approaches more than 20% or so of GDP it'll collapse as no longer being affordable for anyone.
HC is too important, and if necessary deficit spending will always supplement it. Similar to a world war, our limits will be dictated by our medical sector productivity, not money.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:02 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
HC is too important, and if necessary deficit spending will always supplement it. Similar to a world war, our limits will be dictated by our medical sector productivity, not money.
Hahaha haha

No.

Medical sector is overburdened by the cost of chronic care and the requirements set on it by the government which has been increasing. Add to the lower rates of repayment and you are going no where fast.

You can't deficit spend forever. You either make cuts or lose the whole thing.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Hahaha haha

No.

Medical sector is overburdened by the cost of chronic care and the requirements set on it by the government which has been increasing. Add to the lower rates of repayment and you are going no where fast.

You can't deficit spend forever. You either make cuts or lose the whole thing.
Sure you can, and we will when we finally realize that we will have to.

Seniors will not be going without their HC. And there will simply not be enough money in 50 years to pay for all their needs. Barring medical miracles.

Again, our limits will be in our ability to deliver all the necessary senior HC services, not in the money required to pay for it all.

Just like WW2 when we created all the money needed to essentially double our GDP in a few years to fight the war. We were productivity bound, not fiat bound.

Do you think our National Debt will be the same, higher or lower in 10 years? 100 years?

Old 06-13-2016, 12:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
No. We were just discussing the fact that in reality it wouldn't because of the 16th. Medicare operates at the federal level. Did that require a constitutional amendment?

Medicare is not 100% full government funded take over, placing all medical personnel on the government payroll. It is classified as assistance, as in insurance. Exactly like Social Security.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
No, who said anything about the VA? Do you think the VA is the only way on earth to run universal healthcare?

That is the federal Government model. It is their experience and their design.
It is no different than the European model, where specialized care takes months.
My friends over there in my profession, have knee injuries, like they do here. One bloke, had to wait 9 months to have surgery, with no income, government put him on assistance immediately(welfare.. More cost to the tax payer)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies