Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 08:49 AM

29,428 posts, read 9,611,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ya, for the last 100 years of ownership, that's what AMERICANS have planned.

Why do you need the internet? Why do you need to coach LL, are you a pedophile? Why do you need to be a Pastor? Can't get a date?

A smart phone, a fancy car, a college degree, a big house? You missed your calling as you could have lived in Cuba where everyone thinks for you. Comrade.
Good analogies and point well taken, but I think the analogy more in keeping with the question as to why a weapon like that would be more like why a LL coach needs to bring sex toys and lubricant to LL practice instead of just the customary bats, balls and mitts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 08:55 AM

8,343 posts, read 4,328,421 times
Default Same gun

Image contains two rifles.

Both are about the same length, use the same ammo, carry the same number of rounds, have about the same rate of fire.

The only significant difference is appearance.
Attached Thumbnails
What is an assault weapon?-ar-15-mini-14.png  

Old 06-14-2016, 08:59 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,915,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
a weapon like that ....
Define for us what "weapon like that" is. Other that selective fire what is the fundamental difference between an M-14 and any semi auto hunting rifle that makes it a "weapon like that"?

If I have an "assault rifle" that shoots .22's and have a common semi auto .22 what is the difference that makes it a "weapon like that".

Old 06-14-2016, 09:08 AM

18,415 posts, read 7,045,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My understanding is many of the issues associated with the Saiga are either wrong ammo and/or modifications.

There is no "wrong ammo" within shells of the correct gauge and length. (barring improperly loaded hand loads of course)

When any weapon is that finicky about the brand of ammo used, the problem is not the fault of the ammo, it's an unreliable weapon.....period.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:18 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,765,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I have to agree. Ultimately the bans will have to include any weapon which allows you to dump a spent magazines and rapidly reload. Meaning standard pistols from the GI 45 with its standard 7 round magazines on up. But if that happens then something like the GI Garand M1 with its ejecting clip will just reappear
Here in CA you can no longer purchase a rifle with ejecting clips. They are now welded or "fixed" clips.

But, this isn't enough for the gun grabbing rights infringing maniacs running this state:

Those with a bullet button would have until 2018 to register their gun and those found after that date with such a device installed on an unregistered rifle would be liable to a felony charge and up to a year in prison.

Again, just like the 10 clip laws passed last year, they are making felons out of millions of law abiding citizens.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:24 AM

50,153 posts, read 46,802,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Here in CA you can no longer purchase a rifle with ejecting clips. They are now welded or "fixed" clips.

But, this isn't enough for the gun grabbing rights infringing maniacs running this state:

Those with a bullet button would have until 2018 to register their gun and those found after that date with such a device installed on an unregistered rifle would be liable to a felony charge and up to a year in prison.

Again, just like the 10 clip laws passed last year, they are making felons out of millions of law abiding citizens.
CA is tapped out. Where are they going to get the money to build and staff all of those new jails? Brown is smarter than that but Newsome? He would pass all of them.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:36 AM

18,415 posts, read 7,045,766 times
Quote:
You are something like shooting at a moving target in a dust storm...
That's only because you keep moving the goal posts in your responses.

Quote:
First you were going on about how nothing matters in light of what time it takes before the police arrive. I simply pointed out the issue was not about how long before police arrive but how quickly a nut case with a rapid fire weapon can kill so many people in such a short amount of time. Then you roped me in with all the rest I just couldn't understand, in typical gun enthusiast badge-of-honor fashion, knowing oh so macho about all variety of guns.
Because, despite you're being the OP of this thread, which asks a question that assumes you are genuinely interested in knowing the answer to.....you keep ignoring that facts as they are explained to you.

I didn't "rope you in" with anything, I simply tried to educate you a little bit on a subject that's not nearly as complicated as you are making it out to be. I provided two videos (which I'm sure you probably didn't watch) that explain exactly what is and is not an "Assault Weapon" as well as destroying the myth of how limiting magazine size will give police time to respond or people time to make an escape. But apparently you aren't really interested in knowing the facts about the question you ask in the OP.....

Quote:
I understand all plenty well enough to recognize the futility of gun control in America. I also understand that the likes of what happened in Florida is going to be a part of life in America unlike anywhere else in the modern world. Much like cancer, there simply is no known cure...

Then why are you endorsing a hypothetical ban based on mathematical gibberish that would pretty much make everything short of a single shot weapon illegal and also fail miserably without door to door confiscations....which gun control advocates (including you) keep saying they don't want?

Old 06-14-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Define for us what "weapon like that" is. Other that selective fire what is the fundamental difference between an M-14 and any semi auto hunting rifle that makes it a "weapon like that"?

If I have an "assault rifle" that shoots .22's and have a common semi auto .22 what is the difference that makes it a "weapon like that".
You're off track. Check back through the comments to find the question written by someone else asking someone else about the need for a "weapon like that."

Old 06-14-2016, 10:16 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,915,484 times
Quote:
You're off track. Check back through the comments to find the question written by someone else asking someone else about the need for a "weapon like that."
You have made the statement "weapon like that." but are unable to define what a "weapon like that." is....

/end thread

Old 06-14-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
That's only because you keep moving the goal posts in your responses.

Because, despite you're being the OP of this thread, which asks a question that assumes you are genuinely interested in knowing the answer to.....you keep ignoring that facts as they are explained to you.

I didn't "rope you in" with anything, I simply tried to educate you a little bit on a subject that's not nearly as complicated as you are making it out to be. I provided two videos (which I'm sure you probably didn't watch) that explain exactly what is and is not an "Assault Weapon" as well as destroying the myth of how limiting magazine size will give police time to respond or people time to make an escape. But apparently you aren't really interested in knowing the facts about the question you ask in the OP.....

Then why are you endorsing a hypothetical ban based on mathematical gibberish that would pretty much make everything short of a single shot weapon illegal and also fail miserably without door to door confiscations....which gun control advocates (including you) keep saying they don't want?
Very humorous. You have apparently construed a good deal about what I have written that I would invite you to find in my comments. I've really hardly done more than ask questions, with sincere interest toward how we might better define what should or should not be banned. You go around and around, then ask me my point, again making clear you don't know what you are going on about, other than the want to educate me on a subject that at least we agree is not complicated.

Not rocket science by any means but no shortage of "education" when it comes to all aspects of guns from those who seem to think about nothing else...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ns-banned.html

My question upon starting this thread was really just the notion that such a weapon need not be defined in terms of its particular characteristics (size, shape, bullets, etc.) other than speed of fire and/or potential kill rate, if in fact there was an effort to ban such weapons. Fact is, however, I don't believe any such ban would be practical or effective even if there could be an easy and mutually agreed upon definition of such a weapon.

As I've commented more than once, I don't really believe there is an answer to the problem of gun violence in America. We're pretty well f**ked I think, no matter what we do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies