Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:17 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Prohibition? Guns can not be manufactured in the woods behind your home.

The record clearly shows that prohibition was a rousing success; it's just not what the people wanted.
Actually, Prohibition Was a Success - NYTimes.com

There will be no illegal gun market for the same reason there is no illegal hand grenade market and no illegal flame thrower market. Gun manufactures in the US would no longer manufacture civilian versions of military weapons. Party over.

Selective selling (YOU can buy this type of gun, but your friend must only buy THIS type) has proven to be disastrous.

Wrong. Philippine gun makers take aim from the backyard to the production line | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 11:34 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
I would not take guns away from anyone.

The rest of your post makes no sense and is an attempt to redirect the debate. Find someone else to play with.
Your post said that you would do away with semi-autos.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:11 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
I actually thought the article from The Guardian made some sense. My position goes a bit further than the author's but still, we go in the same direction insofar as high capacity magazines are concerned.

I say stop selling high capacity magazines, but I also say stop selling the guns they go with. Naysayers say we have already tried that, I say we did not try it long enough. Guns last a long time and the ban I would like to see would have to be in effect many years before semi-autos disappeared from all markets.

To those who say semi-auto's will just be smuggled in, I say, from where? Mexico imports illegal guns from the US and a quick search will show that there are virtually no semi-autos sold legally in Mexico. It is obvious that the much-recognized gun violence in Mexico is being fed by the US, who then sneers at Mexico because Mexico has a gun problem. Go figure.

No. The problem is the NRA, who claims to represent citizen gun owners, but actually represents gun manufacturers.

Revolvers, bolt actions, and pumps will enable you to defend yourself and hunt. We should limit ourselves to those types.
150 million. I think it's safe to say you'd never be rid of them if a ban started this second.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:14 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
Quote:
I actually thought the article from The Guardian made some sense. My position goes a bit further than the author's but still, we go in the same direction insofar as high capacity magazines are concerned.

I say stop selling high capacity magazines, but I also say stop selling the guns they go with. Naysayers say we have already tried that, I say we did not try it long enough. Guns last a long time and the ban I would like to see would have to be in effect many years before semi-autos disappeared from all markets.

To those who say semi-auto's will just be smuggled in, I say, from where? Mexico imports illegal guns from the US and a quick search will show that there are virtually no semi-autos sold legally in Mexico. It is obvious that the much-recognized gun violence in Mexico is being fed by the US, who then sneers at Mexico because Mexico has a gun problem. Go figure.

No. The problem is the NRA, who claims to represent citizen gun owners, but actually represents gun manufacturers.

Revolvers, bolt actions, and pumps will enable you to defend yourself and hunt. We should limit ourselves to those types.
Define high capacity please between:

Revolver
Tube fed
Magazine fed
Clip fed (in the case of the garand)
Breech load
Black powder

Old 06-23-2016, 12:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
I would not take guns away from anyone.

The rest of your post makes no sense and is an attempt to redirect the debate. Find someone else to play with.
Ban cars that go over 10 mph, to reduce drunk driving deaths.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:01 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Define high capacity please between:

Revolver
Tube fed
Magazine fed
Clip fed (in the case of the garand)
Breech load
Black powder
LOL, this is where the nitpicky details get fun!

Here is a 100 round tube fed .22 gun. Proves that you don't need to be clip or chain fed to have high capacity ... but is anybody really all that worried about a .22 with high capacity? Really? But if you can do 100 rounds with a .22 then you can do 50 or more on the same concept with bigger bullets.

And it's been mentioned but let's be honest here. Anybody who knows anything about guns would much rather get shot by a clip-fed AR-15 than a M1 Garand 30-06 that doesn't need to have a clip hanging underneath. The M1 is much more likely to kill you. Bigger slug, more powder, etc. The M1 Garand honestly looks more like a hunting rifle than a modern military weapon, which is yet another strike against legislating cosmetics. And how much does a pump or lever or bolt action rifle slow you down between shots? For a practiced shooter, not much!

Honestly, there is no modern gun that couldn't be used to kill a crazy amount of people with adequate preparation. Better solution is arming the victims.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:26 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,839,847 times
Quote:

What part of SHALL NOT INFRINGE to you fail to comprehend? I support your right to limit YOURSELF however you choose. You don't get the right to infringe on my choice of weapon for personal protection.

The 2 Amendment is part of the bill of RIGHTS not the bill of SHOULDS or the bill of NEEDS.

The following was written in 1803:

This may be considered as the true palladium of liberty…The right of self defense is the first law of nature: in most government it has been the study of rules to confirm this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any color of pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction.

View of the Constitution of the United States with Selected Writings - Online Library of Liberty

Then there is the historical support by the Anti-Federalists with regard to the right to bear arms:

For example, Anti-Federalists at the New Hampshire ratification convention wanted it made clear that, "Congress shall never disarm any Citizen unless such as are or have been in Actual Rebellion." Anti-Federalists at the Massachusetts ratification convention wanted the Constitution to "be never construed...to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable, from keeping their own arms."

Meanwhile, in the Anti-Federalist stronghold of Pennsylvania, critics at that state's ratification convention wanted the Constitution to declare, "that the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and their own State, or the United States, or for the purpose of killing game; and no law shall be passed for disarming the people or any of them, unless for crimes committed, or real danger of public injury from individuals."

One of the central purposes of the Second Amendment was to mollify such concerns by enshrining the individual right to arms squarely within the text of the Constitution. Just as the First Amendment was added to address fears of government censorship, the Second Amendment was added to address fears about government bans on private gun ownership.

The Second Amendment, the Bill of Rights, and the Constitution - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Old 06-23-2016, 06:03 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:

And in the highly unlikely event that you and yours are successful at banning everything but revolvers, bolt action and pumps and eliminate the 100+ million offending guns ... then the next mass-shooter will walk in with a duffle bag of rapid reloads and a revolver or a bolt action or a pump action or a level action. These types of guns don't actually slow you down all that much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgav7mNzIYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc4-5fRuBNE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-4uKNEs4-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4JkkoZi728

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_a7pXWi6xo

Rapid reload kits and modifications are available for all of the above, but the revolver would be especially easy. Revolver quick-loaders don't require any modification of the gun whatsoever. So potentially, some nutjob could walk into one of your "please kill me zones" (gun free zones) with a revolver and a duffle full of quickloads and kill the same number or more as the Orlando shooter. Then the gun-grabbers will be after revolvers. Then somebody will use a quick-loading bolt action and they'll want to ban those. Then somebody will use a quick loading pump action and they'll want to ban those next. Then somebody will use a quick loading lever action and they'll want to ban those next. Before you know it, the only legal firearms will be these:

Then somebody will find a way to use those to kill a bunch of people and they'll ban those too. And in order to outright ban even fully automatic, you'll need a new Constitutional Amendment repealing or modifying the 2nd Amendment.

Better idea: Arm the victims and knock off all this "gun free please kill me zone" crap.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:17 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Question: What is an "assault weapon"?

Answer: A made up, Orwellian style term geared to sway opinion.
The true answer is anything a person picks up with the intent to harm another person.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:31 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
And in the highly unlikely event that you and yours are successful at banning everything but revolvers, bolt action and pumps and eliminate the 100+ million offending guns ... then the next mass-shooter will walk in with a duffle bag of rapid reloads and a revolver or a bolt action or a pump action or a level action. These types of guns don't actually slow you down all that much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc4-5fRuBNE

Rapid reload kits and modifications are available for all of the above, but the revolver would be especially easy. Revolver quick-loaders don't require any modification of the gun whatsoever. So potentially, some nutjob could walk into one of your "please kill me zones" (gun free zones) with a revolver and a duffle full of quickloads and kill the same number or more as the Orlando shooter. Then the gun-grabbers will be after revolvers. Then somebody will use a quick-loading bolt action and they'll want to ban those. Then somebody will use a quick loading pump action and they'll want to ban those next. Then somebody will use a quick loading lever action and they'll want to ban those next. Before you know it, the only legal firearms will be these:

Then somebody will find a way to use those to kill a bunch of people and they'll ban those too. And in order to outright ban even fully automatic, you'll need a new Constitutional Amendment repealing or modifying the 2nd Amendment.

Better idea: Arm the victims and knock off all this "gun free please kill me zone" crap.

Note that the guy demonstrating the revolver speed loaders is semi disabled in his left arm/hand.

And yet he's still able to pull off a reload in about 4 seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies