Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 09:27 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,920,444 times

Advertisements

Let's ask Bernie Sanders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 09:29 PM

26,965 posts, read 15,180,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've seen many who love the question or difficulty defining assault weapons, in particular when it comes to banning the sale of such weapons. Occurs to me that one definition is any weapon that allows one person to do what this nut-with-a-gun did in Florida, though it seems he had more than just an AR-15...

ORLANDO, Fla. — A gunman killed 50 people and wounded 53 in a crowded gay nightclub in Orlando early Sunday, officials said, in the worst mass shooting slaughter in American history, and law enforcement officials called it an act of terrorism.

The gunman was Omar Mir Seddique Mateen, 29, an American citizen living in Port St. Lucie, Fla., federal law enforcement officials said.

The killer stormed the Pulse nightclub armed with an AR-15-style assault rifle

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/13/us...=top-news&_r=0

AN AR 15 is not an assault rifle.
It is not full auto which is one of the descriptors of an assault weapon.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:33 PM

12,335 posts, read 8,065,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
So, he managed to kill 50 people and injure 53 with that? It must have taken hundreds of rounds…that's quite some trigger finger he's got.
It would have been easier that way. If he went full auto unable to hold an aiming sight as the weapon kicked I doubt if gets a 100 hits without firing many times that many rounds, assuming he was able to carry them all in.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:34 PM

19,709 posts, read 10,051,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Let's ask Bernie Sanders.
He thought the AR 15 was an automatic weapon, and he wants to write gun laws?

Old 06-12-2016, 10:52 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,890,565 times
People anxious to write gun laws know little about them, IGNORANT/ or deliberately abusive .
The government is after complying with un agenda 21 . if you bother to read it you will understand the root of all the gun issue along with many other things.
I have a relative that is all for it ,not realizing that she may well be one of them that is eliminated in the process.
Point is these shootings could have been averted but the FBI choose not to. not letting any tragedy go to waste , even if they have to create one . the facts are right there the FBI knew the shooter his connections and did nothing.

To the OP, An assault weapon is any weapon use to assault some one else. a hammer ,saw, tooth pick, pipe wrench ,pipe, candle holder, fist, pen, Obama, Hillary,,,,

Old 06-12-2016, 10:55 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,497,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Not correct. The military version of the AR15 is fully automatic and magazine fed, making it an assault rifle.
The civilian version of the AR15 can be very easily modified to full automatic, turning it into an assault rifle.

How easy?

Run us thru the steps.

Not everyone owns a Bridgeport mill, to make a new lower

Old 06-13-2016, 10:37 AM

29,428 posts, read 9,611,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The killer stormed the Pulse nightclub armed with an AR-15-style assault rifle"

The AR-15 is NOT an assault rifle.

What is an assault weapon?

This has been explained to you MANY time on other "gun" threads.

Either you are unable to learn or just stubborn.
Foul! Yes, of course I've read all versions of how an assault weapon may be defined, and I have heard all argument both pro and con as to the worthiness of efforts to ban such a weapon. Point at any comment I have written anywhere that suggests I don't well understand all of this...

In fact, the point of this thread is to generally raise the question as to whether ANY weapon might be so defined and/or banned that can kill so many people in such a short period of time. Needless to say, as also pointed out in this thread again, there are many such weapons already in the hands of all too many people to think any ban can really keep a nut case with such a weapon from doing what this one did in Florida, but if this keeps up, I can only guess what measures may be taken to keep these sorts of weapons from being sold.

Do I think there is an answer or solution that will effectively prevent another such act of terrorism with such a weapon in America, frankly no. Are there rightful questions as to why in America unlike any of the other advanced countries in the world? I think so.

Does this mean I don't know or understand all aspects of the gun-control debate? Hardly!

Old 06-13-2016, 10:48 AM

643 posts, read 469,477 times
An assault weapon is a select fire weapon of medium power such as 223 or 7.62x39 that was first brought on the scene when late in WW2 the Germans created the sturmgewehr 44 chambered in 8mm mauser short. It had a select fire, that is it can be switched from full auto to semi auto by the flick of a switch. No gun currently on sale or in the past in the USA has ever been an assault weapon. The Current and past configuration of the AR15 and AK47 is and was Semi auto. All assault weapons were and are under NFA rules and the pool of new ones entering into the pool of assault weapons that can be bought by citizens was closed by Reagan in 86. The price to transfer one is 200 for the tax stamp about a 6 month wait and the cost due to the limited supply is in the many thousands of dollars. What you have in an AR or variant is a semi auto rifle that works no different than the M1 Garand, Remington 7400 and other civilian rifles. It just looks like the Current and past Military rifles. There is no auto sear in them or the rest of the parts to make them full auto or burst, shooting 3 rounds before resetting. Its like having a Corvette with a 4 banger, It may look like it will do 60 in a short time but its looks only not the same where it matters.

This is why the assault weapons ban failed in 94 and has failed in Cal. today. Because the guns work the same as guns not banned, I.E. banning an AR but not banning a Ruger Mini 14 is because your have to resort to banning looks. I.E. pistol grip, Bayonet lug ect. Liberals trying to make the world safe by touchy feely BS.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:56 AM

29,428 posts, read 9,611,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
when someone is murdered by Muslims in Tel Aviv, its because of Israeli occupation. When people in the US are murdered by Muslims, it's the NRA's fault. When they're murdered in Paris, it's because of Islamic terrorism.
Didn't expect this issue to be introduced here, but not a surprise given that some people are as obsessed with their religion and/or heritage as others are with their guns, but just curious..., what are the Palestinians killed by Israelis called?

Right, back to the subject of this thread...

Old 06-13-2016, 11:01 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,729,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Foul! Yes, of course I've read all versions of how an assault weapon may be defined, and I have heard all argument both pro and con as to the worthiness of efforts to ban such a weapon. Point at any comment I have written anywhere that suggests I don't well understand all of this...

In fact, the point of this thread is to generally raise the question as to whether ANY weapon might be so defined and/or banned that can kill so many people in such a short period of time. Needless to say, as also pointed out in this thread again, there are many such weapons already in the hands of all too many people to think any ban can really keep a nut case with such a weapon from doing what this one did in Florida, but if this keeps up, I can only guess what measures may be taken to keep these sorts of weapons from being sold.

Do I think there is an answer or solution that will effectively prevent another such act of terrorism with such a weapon in America, frankly no. Are there rightful questions as to why in America unlike any of the other advanced countries in the world? I think so.

Does this mean I don't know or understand all aspects of the gun-control debate? Hardly!
So you are, again, just posting a question to argue a political point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies