Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 10:47 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
After the terrorists used our planes to kill 3000 people, we made regulations, such as locking pilot door,etc...to prevent an aircraft to be used as a WMD and it worked! We need better control of guns. How easy it is to access guns is a terrorist magnet to our country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlTSj3ouWOM
Comparing commercial aircraft and guns is comparing apples and oranges. You cannot use a commercial airliner, or any airplane to defend yourself against a criminal or a terrorist, unless of course you're referring to military aircraft.

The terrorist in Orlando, or any other radical Muslim could have used a bomb strapped to his belt and detonated it to kill everyone around him.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Your argument demonstrates total helplessness on your part.
It's what you call realist, the way to stop these people is to identify them beforehand. It's the only way you are going to stop them. 19 people armed with nothing more than box cutters killed thousands , gun or no gun if you want to kill a lot of people you only need to put some thought into it.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:56 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The government highly restricts who can manufacture guns to be sold.

But, just like people have sites to show others how to microbrew, there is the same for guns.

The Home Gunsmith
I'm not saying it's impossible to build a gun from scratch. I'm asking if it's so quick and easy to build a gun from scratch, enough to supply the black market in the event of a crackdown on legal guns, then why hasn't an industry of microgunsmiths sprouted up?

Gov't regulations isn't an answer b/c the gov't regulates microbreweries & distilleries, and those have been growing for the last few decades, making the founders rich.

If you could make 2,000 guns like you said, that's a $400k+ you could be making by going into business for yourself.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:56 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's what you call realist, the way to stop these people is to identify them beforehand. It's the only way you are going to stop them. 19 people armed with nothing more than box cutters killed thousands , gun or no gun if you want to kill a lot of people you only need to put some thought into it.
The box cutters killed no one. The plane killed thousands and we passed the Patriotic Act, instituted homeland security and the TSA, as a result. Since, no airplane has been used in the US as a weapon of mass destruction.

(Also, box cutters are no longer allowed on planes.)

Old 06-14-2016, 11:00 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
None if Omar could not buy his guns.
He would just do like criminals everywhere and steal one.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:01 AM

5,730 posts, read 2,190,327 times
I'm against giving up our 2nd amendment and censoring the 1st out of fear in an attempt to appease to those who hate us. The last thing I would ask the people to do is disarm as terrorist attacks start to increase.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:01 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
How many private sellers, at gun shows, are required to conduct a background check?

Gun Show Background Checks State Laws

1. Individual, private transfers do not require a background check anywhere.......not just at gun shows.
This is what lets a father give his son a 22 for Christmas without having to do a background check on him.
A private transfer is a private transfer, regardless of where it occurs....under a Christmas tree, at your kitchen table over a beer or yes....even at a gun show.

2. The vast majority of vendors at gun shows are licensed dealers who are subject to the same laws about background checks at the show as they are in their stores.

3. I have seen misleading reports about how 25% or so of the vendors are not licensed gun dealers.....but what they are conveniently not telling you is that 25% of the vendors are not selling guns. They are selling accessories like holsters or knives, clothing or other trinkets.

4. There really aren't many private sellers at gun shows, because they are afraid of getting arrested due to the fact that, even though they don't have to do a background check, they are still held liable if they sell to someone who would fail a background check. So, many private sellers refuse to sell to anyone who is not a concealed carry card holder.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:02 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
None if Omar could not buy his guns.
So Omar isn't evil, the gun is. Got it.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:03 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Just a clarification, according a friend who knows far more about guns than I do, I don't own an AR15 and have no use for one, he says that the media is wrong. According to him, that was not an AR 15. It was, I believe he said an SO.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:05 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
You can't compare alcohol during prohibition to guns, simply because you can't mass produce guns in your basement like you can beer, whiskey, moonshine, etc. I don't care how skilled they are, we're not going to have a supply of black market guns coming from Joe Schmoe's garage. You need a factory, equipment, raw materials, which make it prohibitive for the average person to even attempt.

But besides that, we don't need to ban guns to curb the flow of them into the black market. We have been slacking on regulating the sales & tracking of guns in this country, and that has cleared the path to their eventual journey to the black market.

We need to start at the gun manufacturers, the gun dealers, and the gun owners if we're going to start fixing our gun crime epidemic.
You are showing your lack of gun knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAdnZ6xsWtU

I'm sure prohibited alcohol was expensive. Sort of like buying recreational drugs now. It will only take one gun a week for some to go full time black market manufacturing.

While that video above the more difficult process of making a gun from a block of aluminum. This video uses a partially completed receiver. There are millions of these less than completed/not guns out in the population. I know that at one time they were selling for about $50 each with no background check. In fact, most people that I know who bought some paid cash so there was no record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svtIp2wzl1A

But wait. Not everyone has a milling machine. What if you could build a gun with power tools from Home Depot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozNGFRvo0gE

I know that not everyone can work with aluminum. That's why they have these in a polymer format that only requires a hand drill and a $100 drill press. Even a less than skilled person can knock one of these out every hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U32cxlDF5Eg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies