Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 12:06 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,659,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
pretty sure that sharia law would horrify most people in the west.

why do you make excuses for this? I don't get this rushing to the defense of sharia law.
Because I've known several muslim people who try to live according to their religious precepts under american law. It's really pretty simple - they don't advocate stoning people because that's illegal here (and the muslims I've known don't WANT it to be legal here). But they want to dress according to their islamic modesty principles, write their wills according to islamic inheritance principles, or borrow money according to islamic financial principles. For the life of me, I don't understand why that's a problem, plenty of jewish, christian, and hindu citizens do exactly the same thing, and no one bats an eye. However, the word "sharia" seems to turn off a lot of thought processes.

So let's just put the word "sharia" aside and talk about exactly which legal concepts we're concerned about.

I'm horrified by government-enforced religion, by extreme sexism and homophobia, by government censorship, by barbaric punishments like stoning and amputation, etc., etc. But there's a lot more to sharia law than that, and I think it is intelligent to recognize that. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 12:13 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,538,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Because I've known several muslim people who try to live according to their religious precepts under american law. It's really pretty simple - they don't advocate stoning people because that's illegal here (and the muslims I've known don't WANT it to be legal here). But they want to dress according to their islamic modesty principles, write their wills according to islamic inheritance principles, or borrow money according to islamic financial principles. For the life of me, I don't understand why that's a problem, plenty of jewish, christian, and hindu citizens do exactly the same thing, and no one bats an eye. However, the word "sharia" seems to turn off a lot of thought processes.

So let's just put the word "sharia" aside and talk about exactly which legal concepts we're concerned about.

I'm horrified by government-enforced religion, by extreme sexism and homophobia, by government censorship, by barbaric punishments like stoning and amputation, etc., etc. But there's a lot more to sharia law than that, and I think it is intelligent to recognize that. YMMV.
oh I don't know.... things like calling an Arab waitress a ***** for serving alcohol during ramadan.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...cohol-on-firs/

it's not just about stoning and dress codes. again, it's the ideology.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:40 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,528,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
So why is that everytime a worthless muslim (sorry for the double adjective) commits an act of terrorism we have another worthless muslim group on TV condemning it. Yet you never hear them condemn Sharia law. You simply cannot be a citizen of this country and support Sharia law. Trump is right.

So why is that everytime someone starts a thread about Islam they do zero research on the topic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This should clear up a lot of the questions: <strong>Islam Permits Lying to Deceive Unbelievers and Bring World Domination!</strong> Islam allows for lying when it advances Islam. That explains a LOT now, doesn't it?

Other sources: Taqiyya: Deception and Lying in Islam and Are Muslims Encouraged to Lie to Non-Muslims?

You see, it opens the door for someone to even deny being a muslim, since that in the right position, Islam could be advanced.

Sharia law, coming to a city near you as we import more and more into our country: City in Michigan First to Fully Implement Sharia Law | National Report and Sharia Law in America - Current Status

Muslims are ANGRY at Texas Mayor After She Stops "Sharia Court"... Here Is Her EPIC Response! - The Political Insider

Their culture is not compatible with our government and they plan to colonize. Everybody but read up on this and the goals of Islam. It isn't pretty!

What garbage.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:45 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,659,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
oh I don't know.... things like calling an Arab waitress a ***** for serving alcohol during ramadan.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...cohol-on-firs/

it's not just about stoning and dress codes. again, it's the ideology.
I'm fine with arresting and trying the perps for assault. Because assault is against the law.

The waitress who was assaulted is muslim herself. She clearly doesn't approve of the men who assaulted her. So your own article demonstrates what I said - that muslims do disagree about how to put islamic beliefs into practice. And plenty of them are not OK with extremist interpretations of the quran.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,557,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
So why is that everytime a worthless muslim (sorry for the double adjective) commits an act of terrorism we have another worthless muslim group on TV condemning it. Yet you never hear them condemn Sharia law. You simply cannot be a citizen of this country and support Sharia law. Trump is right.
How many of the nearly 2 billion Muslims in the world do you personally know?

Old 06-15-2016, 01:03 PM

37,301 posts, read 61,111,691 times
Of course Muslims like Islamic faith.

The same as how Christians like love.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:33 PM

30,195 posts, read 23,608,007 times
A little reminder from Col. Allen West from 5 and 6 years ago...the only one, until Trump, who had the spine to tell the truth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkGQmCZjJ0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MZx38i6iYs

The libs and the clown in the WH can pretend it's because of guns, or Trump (as if terrorism didn't happen before Trump), or pretend it's because of Christians, or pretend it's because of white people, or pretend it's because of some other ridiculous thing besides Islam, it's not going to stop attacks, and it's not scoring points for the left.

(Edit: Oops, second part was on wrong thread - moved over to correct thread.)

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 06-15-2016 at 01:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies